• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are the Eeveelutions overrated?

Cilan

Reaction score
I think it's cool that Eevee has so many different evolutions, but do you think that it really needs so many and are the evolutions overrated? Battle wise in the games they're not that strong of battlers, or at least that's from my own experience. I think the best battler is Leafeon since it really helped me out in Platinum. Umbreon is probably my favorite altogether but there are batter Dark types to battle with. I'll admit I like the designs for a lot of them but I think that they should either stop at Sylveon or maybe give it 2 more evolutions and leave it at 10 since anything more than that will be too much.

I wouldn't say they're overrated. Their cute design and useful abilities they bring to battle makes them deserving of the hype they receive. Magic Bounce Espeon can be quite a force to be reckoned with, and Hydration Vaporeon is very useful on Rain teams.

All popular Pokemon are. Now excuse me while I get back to my Koffing and Drowzee.

I want to think not. Maybe oft-seen, but not overplayed.

Separately, they aren't as great as some others in their types. Their movepools feel limited in ways.
Together they're even worse because, since they're all mono-type, you're missing so many options.

I do like their designs, however. All are well-thought and memorable.

As far as fanfiction and role plays go, yes yes yes yes yes. On another forum I hang out on, it's practically impossible to join a RP without having to deal with at least five of them. I'm not sure about competitive battling and whatnot, as I don't participate in those sorts of things.

Their designs are what I like most about them. Umbreon and Flareon are my personal favorites due to their designs. I'm not too sure about them battle wise since I don't really use Eeveelutions on my team. The only time I did was when I used Vaporeon on FireRed, and it's not the best Water type but it got the job done for me.

I'm not sure if I would say that they're overrated. I think that other pokemon are a bit more exposed than the Eevee's, like Lucario for example. I do however think that they should let Sylveon be the last Eeveelution, though I doubt that they will. I feel that if they make too many then it'll be like they're making them just for the sake of making them.

I'm not sure if I would say that they're overrated. I think that other pokemon are a bit more exposed than the Eevee's, like Lucario for example. I do however think that they should let Sylveon be the last Eeveelution, though I doubt that they will. I feel that if they make too many then it'll be like they're making them just for the sake of making them.

Too true.

They're mostly overhyped. Visit a certain pokemon-related forum and you'll see at least one or two group of people overhyping the Eeveelutions.

I haven't seen them much in competitive battling, so I wouldn't say they're overrated in that regard.

Fanfic and RP, hell yes. Especially when there are so many obscure Pokemon that would be interesting to write about or make more sense (aren't Eevees supposed to be rare?)

I think that they are definitely overrated in fanfics. I find that for mostly every Pokemon OC I come across they have some type of Eeveelution of their team or even several of them. Umbreon and Espeon are the most common I see. And sometimes you have OC's with a team of all Eeveelutions.

Oh yes. The only thing I care for Eevee that it has (almost) useful evolutions. That is the only thing I like 'bout them, however. I don't think they are cute, personally. They are overrated (Or should I say overused.) as Pokesonas, RPs, fanfics, in teams, (A full team of Eeveelutions Eevee evolutions, I mean.) etc etc.

Yes, I think they are somewhat undeserving of the hype they get. They have some of the plainest, most uninspired designs of all Pokemon, and yet have a staggering degree of popularity. Such is the power of generic cuteness and a resemblance to household pets.

They're marketed too much. They are highly popular, but I think it's a result of the excessive marketing and legitimate popularity among some fans.

I don't really see them as overrated, but more like "overused".

Seriously, everyone I know (including myself) have at least 1 eeveelution on their team. But the one that's most overrused in my opinion is Umbreon. Everytime I go onto Fanfiction.net and there's a fanfiction where the main character is an eeveelution, IT'S ALMOST ALWAYS AN UMBREON. I get it, he was the first dark type and his shiny form looks pretty cool, but that's about all the interesting things I can find about Umbreon. I like the other ones a lot more when it comes to design, because I think Vaporeon, Leafeon, and Sylveon have some of the most interesting designs out of all the Eeveelutions. Umbreon is just a black fox thing with gold rings and red eyes, that's about it. Vaporeon has a unique tail, a neck-fin thing, and no fur whatsoever. Leafeon actually has leaves for ears, and Sylveon is like Sailor Moon! I just don't understand why people find Umbreon to be so cool.

This just turned into a whole rant about my disliking towards Umbreon...

I loooovvveee them, so I'll say they are, but for a good reason. THEY'RE ADORABLE!

I don't really see them as overrated, but more like "overused".

Seriously, everyone I know (including myself) have at least 1 eeveelution on their team. But the one that's most overrused in my opinion is Umbreon. Everytime I go onto Fanfiction.net and there's a fanfiction where the main character is an eeveelution, IT'S ALMOST ALWAYS AN UMBREON. I get it, he was the first dark type and his shiny form looks pretty cool, but that's about all the interesting things I can find about Umbreon. I like the other ones a lot more when it comes to design, because I think Vaporeon, Leafeon, and Sylveon have some of the most interesting designs out of all the Eeveelutions. Umbreon is just a black fox thing with gold rings and red eyes, that's about it. Vaporeon has a unique tail, a neck-fin thing, and no fur whatsoever. Leafeon actually has leaves for ears, and Sylveon is like Sailor Moon! I just don't understand why people find Umbreon to be so cool.

This just turned into a whole rant about my disliking towards Umbreon...

Because Umbreon is the only Eeveelution to have red eyes with black pupils. It's eyes make it stand out from his group. All the other Eeveelutions are stuck with large eyes with no pupils and just the glossy glittering features.

Umbreon and Espeon seem to be the most overused while Leafeon doesn't get much exposure, or at least in the anime it doesn't.
I'll admit that I love Umbreon and I think it's the cutest of the Eeveelutions (I can have a pretty weird taste in what I consider "cute" sometimes) but I agree that it along with Espeon and Eevee itself get overused so much that some of the others don't get much time to shine. I think the ones I see used the least are probably Jolteon and Leafeon. I think Sylveon will join Umbreon and Espeon in the overused category soon though.

I think it's cool that Eevee has so many different evolutions, but do you think that it really needs so many and are the evolutions overrated? Battle wise in the games they're not that strong of battlers, or at least that's from my own experience. I think the best battler is Leafeon since it really helped me out in Platinum. Umbreon is probably my favorite altogether but there are batter Dark types to battle with. I'll admit I like the designs for a lot of them but I think that they should either stop at Sylveon or maybe give it 2 more evolutions and leave it at 10 since anything more than that will be too much.

Leafeon is terrible. lol

That being said, they get much more hype than their battling abilities deserve. But then again, Umbreon, Espeon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon are actually pretty useful in battle. Admittedly using an Eeveelution requires a lot of team support though.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom