• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are There Any Pieces of Instrumental Dub Music You Actually Liked in the PokeAni International Dub (4Kids or TPCI)- NOT COUNTING INTROS OR ENDINGS!

This track was used a lot, especially when a Pokemon evolved or something else big happened, but it was never bad. A little repetitive maybe, but not bad.

I too kinda like the 4kids "evolution" theme. If I remember right, it was first used in the second episode when Ash was looking at those panels in the Pokémon center.

Along with the other standout tracks for the first three movie dubs that others have mentioned, I'd like to give this one a mention:

Like Tears of Life and The Legend Comes to Life for the first two, I consider this track to be very memorable and iconic with regards to the third movie, so you can imagine my shock and dismay when I realized it wasn't in the original version at all.

As for other instrumental dub music, I'm actually strongly attached to the emotional piano tracks in general. I know that there's one for each of the series Goldfarb has composed for so far: XY, Sun and Moon and Journeys. And I love them all.

I'm glad there seems to be a consensus that the early sagas of Pokémon actually had several quality dubbed tracks, from the show to the movie scores. I just don't understand why the quality went downhill after DP...

I don't know if anyone knows the name of this one, but there was one that would play somewhat often in Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh - usually at the episode's beginning when the narrator would open up with what the gang was doing. It was a happy little tune; for example, it plays in the beginning of Fight for the Light!

There are a number of dub pieces I enjoy. One of my favorites is the track that plays in The Keystone Pops, when Ash starts leading Spiritomb on a chase before the climax of the episode. It's lengthier, got some bongos going, and some actual energy.

Another from DP would be the piece that plays when Brock's Happiny evolves. As far as I'm aware, it was only used that one time.

I find both of the above tracks in general just more... cohesive (?) compositionally than almost all of the other DP dub music, and they've always stood out to me in a good way.

I also think the XY series main dub motif is solid. I appreciate that it was something different music-wise to give the series an identity, and I enjoyed the different variations that were made.

Edit: There's also another DP dub piece I just remembered: It plays in... whatever episode Dawn is briefly sulking alone, can't remember. It's a short piano track that also only played once, and I have no idea why it wasn't used more often.

I don't know if anyone knows the name of this one, but there was one that would play somewhat often in Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh - usually at the episode's beginning when the narrator would open up with what the gang was doing. It was a happy little tune; for example, it plays in the beginning of Fight for the Light!
I tried looking around for that particular track, but alas, I couldn't find it. I'll keep trying though, I might eventually find it. On another note, this track was always one of my favorites from the 4kids dub. Sorry if the quality isn't the greatest, but hey, it is from the Pokemon Puzzle League game and was the best I could find on YouTube (I doubt I'll ever find the regular version, at least on YouTube.)

Now that I'm currently rewatching season 1 with a better understanding of when its 4Kids music and when its Shinji Miyazaki's score

I really liked the music that plays at the end of episode 1 and the music that plays when Caterpie "tells" Pikachu its aspiration to fully evolve into Butterfree. I always thought both were part of the Japanese score for the longest time.

That whimsical dub music piece when Pikachu was interacting with Caterpie and the moon, it was even reused in the 4kids Winx club dub!

At the 4:30 mark

Last edited:
I hate both companies dub music, just so sterile sounding.
I can bear the 4Kids era stuff as it seems like they tried with their compositions even if they couldn’t help slamming cues in places like Ed and BW Loeffler later on, TPCi’s I only liked in the later TAJ dub (as they used 4Kids every other episode): once DuArt took over in Season 11, I stopped caring for most of it entirely.

Last edited:
Suicune's theme from episode 227 and Misty's goodbye song

Both great, IMO!

I like this instrumental BGM from the dub (obviously the OST is better for this scene), but from here to 4:19 I would love someone to isolate sometime (not a highlight for 4Kids' dub in terms of OST kept at all episode), but pretty solid music on its own to listen to, fits the very somber and sad scene nicely.

It's also used in the dub of DP002 when Ash is wondering where Pikachu is, besides AG001- I legitimately think there's a big difference in quality first between 4Kids & TAJ's dub cues (used from OS001-DP052) and DuArt's later cues (DP053-BW142), which are different from Goldfarb's (XY001-JN/present), some like Dogasu may not hear it but I absolutely do personally.

Last edited:
Honestly I think Tears of Life and Miracle Tears work well enough that I can't really give either a win.

Honestly I think Tears of Life and Miracle Tears work well enough that I can't really give either a win.
I prefer Miracle Tears, but 4Kids' dub did keep it in Orange Islands when Ash released Lapras in the Season 2 dub so we did get to hear it-- just not in the Movie 1 dub (obviously both then & now the dub music is made for the company to make royalties when exported Internationally, Eric Stuart was very kind to tell us all about why it exists & confirm that).

We also heard "Danger! Pikachu!" when Ash fought Morty in Johto in that Gym battle in Season 4, and when Ash + co. met Brawly in the 4Kids' AG dub in Season 6, that was replaced in the Movie 1 dub as well on some more trivia I can recall on the 2 instances it was kept in English.

I think you can hear a lot of the replaced OST from the first 3 Movies for 4Kids' dub before they kept the OST for the remaining 5 dub Movies through Movie 8 back then, in the entire Anime dub itself under them (Movie 3's is the one that suffered most from its replacement, you can't hear many in the dub, IMO).

I prefer Miracle Tears, but 4Kids' dub did keep it in Orange Islands when Ash released Lapras in the Season 2 dub so we did get to hear it-- just not in the Movie 1 dub (obviously both then & now the dub music is made for the company to make royalties when exported Internationally, Eric Stuart was very kind to tell us all about why it exists & confirm that).

I just meant in context to Mewtwo Strikes Back, though yes I have picked up on such fact regarding the music. One music piece was used in Ash's first Indigo League match.

Miracle Tears, also I recall (I think) was used in Charizard's Burning Ambition, right?

I just meant in context to Mewtwo Strikes Back, though yes I have picked up on such fact regarding the music. One music piece was used in Ash's first Indigo League match.

Miracle Tears, also I recall (I think) was used in Charizard's Burning Ambition, right?
I believe so, in fact Charizard's Burning Ambitions is the only time Life's Purpose 1999-2001 BGM was ever kept in the entire English dub's run.

Makes sense, fair opinion IMO.

I find a lot of the later 4Kids cues underrated (a lot of them are the exact same as the earlier 4Kids cues, in fact, people tend not to realize this) and the earlier DuArt's cues the most overrated out of all the dub BGM myself (I really hated the dub music when the OST wasn't retained after Season 10 as a boy, now I know why, all the 4Kids era BGM was excised after DP052 save the PokeDex cue in the DuArt/TPCi dub of DP that remained from Seasons 11-13). Goldfarb's stuff, most everyone slams (justifiably, IMO) particularly because Gopal & Li have no idea how to place it properly, even when it's composed decently (some like Poke Trey like it, it has its audience in him & Ryusei Taylor, I personally despise most of it but especially in SM IIRC).

But that's just me, of course.

The BGM that played from 5:34 to 5:52 for those 18 seconds, I thought blended in very well, for an earlier 4Kids dub cue I thought fit very well.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom