• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are there any Pokémon you think should be of a different type?

Reaction score
1.Psyduck line - I believe that instead of being a pure water type, he should have the second type, namely "psychic".

2. Doduo line should be pure "normal type". Giving him a second flying type is strange to me since this Pokémon does not fly.

3.Gyarados - in my opinion he should be a water/dragon pokémon.

4. Alolan Exeguttor - I would remove the dragon type for him, because he doesn't look like a dragon at all.

5. Duraludon should be a pure steel type in my opinion. He doesn't look like a dragon at all, so I don't understand why he is partly a dragon-type.

agree with 1 and 2. agree with 3 but understand tpci's reasoning. 4 is because of the type of plant its based on, i think, but i agree

the one thats always bothered me––i wish blastoise was water/steel

Zeraora and Electivire should both be Electric/Fighting
This one’s been done to death but Luxray was robbed of Electric/Dark
I get why they didn’t want to retype legendaries but the lake trio should’ve received Fairy when it came out
Emboar would’ve been way cooler if it stayed on all fours and was Fire/Ground instead. In which case Darmanitan would be free to get Fire/Fighting
With some minor design tweaks Cinderace would’ve made a great Fire/Electric
Normal/Grass doesn’t really make sense for Smoliv from what we’ve seen, just Grass would’ve been fine

Ninetales should be part Ghost or Psychic-type - I feel there is so much emphasis on its mystical powers that it being pure Fire type feels kind of weird. Especially now with the existence of Ice/Fairy Alolan Ninetales, who at least has a secondary type that emphasizes its magical nature.

I definitely also agree with CuboneKing about Zeraora being part Fighting. Its signature move is called Plasma FISTS - it is one of the more baffling single types.

Another one that really bugs me are the not-grass Fairy types, like Florges and Comfey. I don't care about whatever justification is said about the flowers being separate from Comfey or Florges' pre-evos - they both scream Grass-type in practically everyway. Fairy/Grass for them.

Speaking of fairies, Cresselia should've received Fairy-type in Gen VI due to its moonlight theming. It's practically tailor made for Moonblast. Psychic/Fairy.

And then there is the case of Lugia - which in my opinion is the one that needs a re-type the most out of every Pokemon. I can live with all the others staying as they are - but Lugia is a creature of the sea and the deep. It should've been part Water-type.

I realize they wanted to give it a Psychic-typing to make it seem more grand and legendary, and also didn't want it to overpower Ho-Oh with its Water-typing. Nowadays, such concerns are irrelevant what with Groudon being weak to Kyogre. I don't really care if it's Water/Psychic or Water/Flying - the point is, this is a huge part of its lore and to have it ignored in gameplay like that is silly.

Last edited:
Alolan Raichu should be electric/faiy!! I understand the reasoning for psychic because of the flying, but...if you look at it, I feel like it would make more sense for it to be Fairy?? It makes pancakes, those are sweet, it floats, just, it feels like a fairy-type?

Seconding a lot of these. As for me, I've personally always thought that Heliolisk should've been Electric/Ground or Electric/Rock.
One of its abilities is Sand Veil; Helioptile is exclusively found in rocky desert areas like Kalos Route 9 and Galar Route 6; it learns several Ground- and Rock-type moves via TM and levelup, including Sandstorm; its dex entries say it absorbs energy from basking in the sun, just like rocks absorb heat... so why Electric/Normal? Maybe I'm missing something, but I just never got the reasoning behind that choice. (Electric/Normal would have been a better type combination to give to Dedenne, honestly, but I understand there was no way it was escaping the Fairy hype.)

And this is just more of a pet peeve more than anything else, but... why is Bulbasaur Grass/Poison? Ivysaur and Venusaur can keep the dual-type, obviously - but can't Bulbasaur just be retyped to pure Grass, like every other starter? The inconsistency bugs me so much. T_T

Also, one I saw proposed a lot over the years was that Stantler should have been Normal/Psychic - which was finally semi-realized when Wyrdeer came along. I thought that was pretty neat.

I'd retype most starters to be dual type, tbh
I just dislike single type Pokemon,we have enough of them already.
Scorbunny should evolve into Fire/Electric rabbit, not only they already established that rodents - quick electric aligned creatures but rabbits also one of the fastest animals!
Serperior should have been Grass/Psychic. The intelligence is his whole shtick.
The same goes for Inteleon, which could have been Water/Psychic for more positive spy image or Water/Dark for a wily spy image. Also, Greninja should have been Water/Fighting instead Water/dark. Yes, it's a ninja but dark types tend to be sly more than anything and Greninja is more of a fighter than a sly character. Emboar should have been pure fire, however. Fire/ground or Fire/Dark are also options. Nothing in him screams particularly heroic (Fighting type is 'heroic' type in Japanese). You may say that he looks like a Chinese warrior but warriors =\= heroes. Pure fire actually matches war aesthetic more. Chesnaught strikes me more as Grass/Steel or Grass/Rock and Delphox looks more like Fire/Fairy

Gonna second Ninetales being Fire/Ghost or Fire/Fairy due to its mystical nature (I wouldn't want it to be Fire/Psychic because we already have another magical fox Pokemon with that type combo in Delphox, and I don't want the two foxes to step on each other's toes too much). For that matter, Arcanine argably should've been Fire/Dragon, since its species is "the Legendary Pokemon" despite not actually being a true Legendary, and seeing how rare Dragon used to be (and to this day is still one of the rarest types as well as the type that Game Freak loves to slap on anything they want to sell as powerful), I think Arcanine having a Fire/Dragon combo would help justify its species classification a little more.

Also seconding Zeraora being Electric/Fighting. It's possibly one of the, if not the blandest Mythical Pokemon ever introduced imo, so giving it a unique typing combination would've helped justify its Mythical status much better.

Cresselia definitely should've been made part-Fairy. She's supposed to be Darkrai's counterpart, but as things are now she loses hard against him. Being Part Fairy would've helped even out the matchup.

I think the Porygon line should be Psychic/Electric, since that typing makes way more sense for living computer programs than pure Normal imo.

Dunsparce is another Pokemon that I feel should be something else, but tbh I'm not really sure what. Normal/Ground or Normal/Dragon are two possible options.

I feel that Ralts and Kirlia should've just stayed pure Psychic and only Gardevoir had become Fairy. It just doesn't make sense to me to also make the pre-evolutions Fairy when Gallade is just going to gain an entirely different secondary type from the rest of its line.

And speaking of Pokemon lines that evolve with the Dawn Stone, Glalie really should've been Ice/Rock, since Pokedex entries describe its core as being stone. I realize that this would've been terrible for it competitively, though, so maybe that's why it wasn't done. It just feels weird to me that Froslass gets to have a secondary type and Glalie doesn't.

Another thing is that the Flabebe line (or at least just Florges, since that's the stage that looks outright fused with plant matter) should've been Fairy/Grass.

Lastly, I feel like the Kanto Mr. Mime line should've stayed pure Psychic. In my opinion Fairy just never felt fitting for it. Same goes for the Azumarill line and Dedenne, actually: nothing about those guys really screams "Fairy", and Dedenne especially is pretty freaking egregious because the Mr. Mime and Azumarill lines at least have the excuse that their Fairy-types were a retcon, but with Dedenne being introduced IN the same Generation as the Fairy-type one would think they'd give its design some actual Fairylike attibutes.

Accelgor's skin look like an old wrapped cloth and its face is hidden só this Pokemon could be a Ghost type rather than an insect type. That is what I thought when I saw it for the first time.

For the most part, I think that a lot of typings make sense, at least from a competitive and balancing standpoint, such as in the case of Charizard and Gyrados not being part dragon due to the fact that they would’ve had a resistance to ice and elemental types, making Charizard super OP compared to its fellow starters and Gyrados being an easily obtained nuke, but some still bother me.

I agree with how most here think that the Flabebe line should be part grass. I mean, in its final evolution, it’s body merges with the darn flower. It gets lots of grass type attacks. Its ability is only useful for grass types. Why’s it just a fairy type? Was it to keep Whimsicott more unique?

For that matter, why isn’t Xerneas also part grass? It turns into a tree when in hibernation, it’s heavily associated with life and nature, it can learn horn leech, and it even created an entire forest in some war about 800 years prior to X and Y. It also is the only member of the Aura Trio without a secondary typing. Maybe it was to promote the fairy type, but honestly, it just would make more sense for it to be part grass. Plus, it would also put more of a balance between that and Yveltal, since each would be strong against and weak to one of the other’s types.

Also, I think that the Meinfoo line, or at least Meinshao, should have a secondary typing. I actually originally thought it was part psychic due to its more graceful appearance, and thought it was supposed to represent the more agile part of martial arts. That, or part electric due to its blazing speed. I know it doesn’t learn to many moves that aren’t normal or fighting, but for some reason I feel like it should have a secondary typing. I don’t know.

I also agree that Cresselia should’ve been retconned into being part fairy. Aside from it actually being heavily disadvantaged against Darkrai as it is, moves like Moonblast and Moonlight (I think) are now fairy type. Plus, while I know that fairy types aren’t all supposed to be super syrupy sweet sprites (Say that ten times fast!) and ones like Mimikyu, Hattarene and Grimmsnarl exist, they’re still supposed to be more benevolent for the most part, and that ties in perfectly with Cresselia’s whole schtick with giving out sweet dreams and stuff. I was also thinking of Lunala being part fairy as well, since, y’know Moonblast and all, but I think the psychic typing shouldn’t be thrown aside because it connects it to Cosmog, and the ghost typing better ties in with the night more than fairy, and Alola has plenty of fairy type legendaries as it is.

Also, one last one, but I think the Goomy line should be part water. I know Hisuian Goodra is part steel, but I still think that the Kalosian one being part water is more fitting. It evolves in the rain, is a snail/slug, slimy, can learn MANY water type moves, like hydro pump, surf, and muddy water, and is even said to have an affinity for water and can live a fully marine existence. Not to mention that pseudos are almost always dual-typed. I honestly can’t understand how it’s just a dragon type. Maybe balancing issues? But the steel type fits the Hisuian variant more due to its armored shell.

Gamefreak? Gamefreak. Gamefreak!!

holds up Skitty and Delcatty

Why the truck aren't these fairies?

WHY IS THE MOON-FACED KITTEN NOT A FAIRY?

Gamefreak, please.
Honestly, this one's really easy to explain: their Normalize Ability. An Ability with that name and the effect of turning all the user's moves into the Normal-type really wouldn't make sense on anything but a pure Normal-type Pokemon. hence why Skitty and Delcatty didn't get the Fairy-type.

Most Normal/Flying Pokémon should probably be pure Flying.
Honestly, this one's really easy to explain: their Normalize Ability. An Ability with that name and the effect of turning all the user's moves into the Normal-type really wouldn't make sense on anything but a pure Normal-type Pokemon. hence why Skitty and Delcatty didn't get the Fairy-type.
#AbolishNormalize

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom