• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are there any type combinations/concepts you want to see in future games?

Dieter

Dieter
Reaction score
With currently 807 Pokemon in existence (which does not even include form variants, such as regional variant and megas), a lot of type combinations and concepts have been covered already. Nonetheless, we still have a lot of type combinations that are (near) unique, only used by legendaries or megas, or completely unused. As for concepts, the possibilities are endless!

I'd rather like to see another ghost/bug type combination, either as an entirely new pokemon, or as a regional variant for the Spinarak-line. While it has a fair amount of weaknesses, both types have quite a lot of access to disruptive moves, so I think there could absolutely be a niche for it.

Other types I'd like to see used again is the ghost/steel type, possibly as a regional variant for the Bronzor-line (ghost mirror?) and ghost/ice, possibly for the Golett-line (ice golem?). That's mostly just because I think they could be very cool conceptually.

An unused type combination I hope will be used soon is dark/fairy. It would be a great way to tap into the more malicious side of fairy-lore, something GF hasn't done much yet (aside from Mawile and Mimikyu, one of which was not originally designed as a fairy, though it makes sense). Conceptually, I don't really have anything in particular I'd like to see, although I do think there are plenty of ways this combination could be utilised.

Bug/dragon is also pretty high on my list, and is a combination I think would have made sense for the Goomy-line. There are still plenty of other bug-dragon-monsters in folklore and mythology they could base a pokemon with this combination on, though, so maybe in the future.

Last edited:
I know we already have Frost Rotom, but an Electric/Ice Pokemon with Adaptability would be wild. Give it some Fire coverage after that for stuff like Magnezone, and you're golden.

We have heat rotom, but a Fire/Electric Pokemon which isn’t an alternate form would be nice.

Maybe its based on lasers? It could be a bird that uses lasers. It could even have levitate!

Seconded on the Dark/Fairy combo. I personally want some sort of double Dark resist for my team that doesn't get bodied by Fairy types, being a Ghost type fan and all...

My dream for said Dark/Fairy mon would involve comeing with a repurposed Illuminate that acts like Thick Fat for Ghost and Dark to get exclusive double Ghost resist and triple Dark resist qualities, but that's just wishful thinking there.

Last edited:
For new combinations, Ice/Fire, Grass/Fire, Bug/Ice and Bug/Dragon are the main ones. But I'm fine with any new ones we get, it's always good to strike them off the list and most of them seem like they would provide an interesting concept.

I'll post back another time with rare combinations I'd like to see be done again, otherwise I'll be here all day. I will say Fire/Steel is one I definitely want to see again though.

I'm really enjoying seeing all these suggestions!

Fire, Fairy, Bug, Ice, and Electric seem the most common types so far, as far as combinations go. Dunno how many different type combinations each has, but some of, like the Rotom forms, are unique to only one line (and I agree, it should stop hogging those).

I will say Fire/Steel is one I definitely want to see again though.

Heatran so far is the only one, even though the combination could work really well for a steampunk/artificial Pokemon.

Also, I just was reminded of the existence of marimo (those moss balls), which would could make a great water/grass type. Either an entirely new pokemon, or a regional variant for tangela and tangrowth

Grass/Fire is definitely at the top of my list, I thought we'd see one in SM since a tropical region like Alola would be the perfect place to debut this type combo but sadly it didn't happen. Other typings high on my list are Bug/Dragon, Electric/Fighting, and Electric/Dark.

I'm really enjoying seeing all these suggestions!

Fire, Fairy, Bug, Ice, and Electric seem the most common types so far, as far as combinations go. Dunno how many different type combinations each has, but some of, like the Rotom forms, are unique to only one line (and I agree, it should stop hogging those).

Here's what's missing for each of those types.

Fire:
Fire/Grass
Fire/Ice
Fire/Fairy

Fairy:
Fairy/Fire
Fairy/Ground
Fairy/Poison
Fairy/Fighting
Fairy/Dark

Bug:
Bug/Normal
Bug/Psychic
Bug/Ice
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Dark

Ice:
Ice/Normal
Ice/Fire
Ice/Bug
Ice/Poison

Electric:
Electric/Poison
Electric/Fighting
Electric/Dark

Not as sure about which ones only have one Pokemon. Electric and Fairy definitely go up significantly though, Electric because of the Rotom forms and several other Pokemon with unique type combos, and Fairy for being a relatively new type.

Last edited:
Speaking of rotom, it needs to share and stop hoarding some of those cool type combos. Grass/electric, fire/electric, and ice/electric all need some more Pokemon.
I liked rotom as a concept but taking away the uniqueness of these type combos was the reason I hate it sometimes.

Zeraora is Electric/Fighting
Zeraora is a pure electric type...

Normal/Ghost: The only two types in the game that are immune to one another, so it would be interesting to see what a Pokémon with this type combo would look like.

Fire/Ice: Again, the design possibilities for this are endless.

Bug/Dragon: Bug is the only type that Dragon has yet to be paired with. Hop to it game freak.

Electric/Dark: I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, Luxray should’ve been this.

Bug/Dark: I’m honestly surprised this hasn’t happened yet, with how many bugs that are known to be viscous in real life you’d think this combo would be a given.

Normal/Ghost: The only two types in the game that are immune to one another, so it would be interesting to see what a Pokémon with this type combo would look like.
Let me say something, however... Honestly I don't think Normal/Ghost would have much sense: how can it be Normal if it's a Ghost?

Depending on the concept, I think a Ghost/Normal combination could work perfectly well. It definitely is an interesting combination, as it's only vulnerable to Dark, takes reduced damage from Poison and Bug, and is immune to Normal, Ghost, and Fighting type attacks. As the Ghost type has also repeatedly been shown not to be literal ghosts (though some dex entries do connect them to spirits, or even claim certain ghost types to be reincarnated spirits), I do think the combination is also perfectly feasible conceptually. Actually, there's a subspecies of black bear called kermode or spirit bear. Most of these bears have black fur, but some of them have white fur, and feature prominently in local folklore. I could definitely see a regional variant of Teddiursa/Ursaring based on this with a Normal/Ghost typing. And that's just one example

Electric/Dark: I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, Luxray should’ve been this.

Yep. Once Sinnoh remakes come around they really need to give Luxray a new form that's Electric/Dark. It just makes too much sense for it to be that type combo.

As for Normal/Ghost, I was thinking a good basis for that would be a zombie Pokemon. That could probably pass for Ghostlike.

I know this is random, but I was looking at Pokémon types that have yet to be used, and I saw that fire/grass was one of them. To me, it's obvious! Just introduce a pepper pokémon, whether it be a jalapeño, ghost pepper, or whatever.

The grass typing would obviously come from the fact that it's a plant. The fire typing would come from the burning sensation you get when eating a hot pepper. It's the perfect choice.

Anyway, what are some if your ideas for a grass/fire pokemon if one is to be introduced in the Gen 8 games or later down the road?

Yep. Once Sinnoh remakes come around they really need to give Luxray a new form that's Electric/Dark. It just makes too much sense for it to be that type combo.

As for Normal/Ghost, I was thinking a good basis for that would be a zombie Pokemon. That could probably pass for Ghostlike.
I love the idea of a zombie or zombie like Pokemon! I mean, if they don't want to make it too zombie (cause potential for gore), the could always make it a ghost visibly possessing skeletal remains. Like some ghost type that uses bits and pieces of skeletons to craft a physical body

Fire/Grass is all I need. I've read about either Mega Sunflora before, or a fire plant Pokemon would be good (like a Euphorbia heterophylla) would be neat.

Ghost/Norml would be cool too tho

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom