• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are there any type combinations/concepts you want to see in future games?

It's not unused by any stretch of the imagination but I really would like to see a Bug/Grass Pokémon that's seriously good despite those Fire and Flying weaknesses, mostly because they're the only two types to resist the very useful Thousand Arrows. I think the presence of a Ground type move which hits Flying types has created a definite niche for this typically poor combination.

I dunno, the idea of a bad type combo being redeemed kinda interests me.

I'm a simple guy: I'd want to see all the possible type combinations being used sooner or later. However, if I had to be more specific, I'd have one wish that comes to mind with no difficulty: Ground/Fighting. I got the idea from a certain video I saw a while back. As long as its stats aren't at least too bad, a Pokémon with this typing could easily be a very good Pokémon to be used even in competitive battles.

Last edited:
I'm a simple guy: I'd want to go see all the possible type combinations being used sooner or later. However, if I had to be more specific, I'd have one wish that comes to mind with no difficulty: Ground/Fighting. I got the idea from a certain video I saw a while back. As long as its stats aren't at least too bad, a Pokémon with this typing could easily be a very good Pokémon to be used even in competitive battles.
so at first I was thinking there might be some combos that could really warrant a nice pokemon concept, but honestly, when looking at this I was thinking even fire/ice could make for a cool pokemon (I mean, it could always be some kind of hydra, or an artificial pokemon). Oddly enough, normal might be the hardest combination, considering it's so neutral in its concepts

Actually... and sorry for the double post, but Rockruff would have made sense as a normal/rock type too, rather than pure rock. That might actually have made more sense... Oh well XD Anyway, it does show any combination with normal could even work conceptually

Ground/Fairy-type Pokémon to deal with Poison and Steel-types.
Xerneas couldn't get Ground-type despite being X-Axis land-based Pokémon.

This new type combination should be reserved for Gen 8 "Zoroark-style" Pokémon or "Mega Sylveon" (if Eeveelutions ever get Mega Evolutions or something similar).

• Poison/Ice: This is such an strange combination, would be quite a challenge for the design team at GF, which would no doubt produce a highly interesting and iconic Pokemon
  • Bug/Dragon: Dragon would synergise well thematically with the more vicious looking kind of bugs, the result would surely be extremely alien and evocative
  • Flying: We don't have a flying non-legendary, and thats a damn shame if you ask me. I'm imagining a wind spirit, or perhaps a Mega/regional variant of a pre-existing pokemon in the same vein, like Chimecho

Xerneas couldn't get Ground-type despite being X-Axis land-based Pokémon.

Wow this is an interesting point.

• Poison/Ice: This is such an strange combination, would be quite a challenge for the design team at GF, which would no doubt produce a highly interesting and iconic Pokemon

This is really interesting to think about. I don’t actually know of any poisonous arctic animals. I think this is rare since energy is required to create venom so in a food scarce environment, you would be better of saving your energy for something else.

• Flying: We don't have a flying non-legendary, and thats a damn shame if you ask me. I'm imagining a wind spirit, or perhaps a Mega/regional variant of a pre-existing pokemon in the same vein, like Chimecho

I see the only non-legendary pure flying type being an eeveelution.

A Girafarig-like pokemon for fire/ice would be pretty good. Like, maybe a two headed dragon with each head having an element.

I also once saw the concept of a double headed tortoise with opposite spectrums that would recoil and raise either head depending on the situation. Sure, we already had two fire turtles, but still.

Wow this is an interesting point.

This is really interesting to think about. I don’t actually know of any poisonous arctic animals. I think this is rare since energy is required to create venom so in a food scarce environment, you would be better of saving your energy for something else.

Your reply lead me to do a quick internet search, and whilst I found almost no polar animals that are venomous (except one), I did find a news article about how polar bears, "have highest levels of toxic pollutants of any creature". According to that source, global air and ocean currents concentrate pollutants they carry at the poles, which are further amplified by travelling thru the food chain, ending with Arctic mammals like polar bears (as whale as foxes and whales, for example).

And whilst that's awful in reality I think it could serve as rich inspiration for Pokemon. You could have at least three Poison/Ice species out of this, and there's at least one species of Pokemon that already exists for each one, so there is room for regional variants and mega evos too. Imagine a Poison/Ice version of Wailord :eek:

I see the only non-legendary pure flying type being an eeveelution.

I would like to see a new Elemental Monkey as a pure Flying too (tbh I just want more Elemental Monkeys full stop XD).

Oh that reminds me of the pee shark! I forgot what the species is called, but it mostly lives in arctic ocean. Or rather, after a quick google search, urea. Which is toxic (it's the Greenland shark btw). And this shark has a much higher concentration of it in its body than other marine animals. Also, they get incredibly old, some specimen have lived up to 400 years. A long-living ice/poison shark? That could be pretty awesome

Doesn't help that we almost had two: Hoothoot and it's beta evolution Bobo. They were originally planned as pure Flying Pokémon but then Hoothoot got the Normal-Type and Bobo got replaced by Noctowl. I wonder if this also happened to the other common birds.

Typings: GIMME SOME EVIL DARK/FAIRY POKEMON. Fairies are far from all sunshine and rainbows. Some of the Fae are dark and demented creatures that love to prank if not harass humans in general! Think that bratty togepi from that one episode, only cranked up further. Bonus points if they're used by the Evil Team.

Concepts: Bring back some of the Proto Gold/Silver pokemon! Specifically..
-Quilfish's evolution
-The Dark type bell cat and its evolution. HOW DARE YOU DENY ME THIS CAT, GAMEFREAK.
-The bomb fire seal
-The very round tiger and its evolution
-Farfetch'd evolution
-The Chinese vampire panda
-The werewolf pelt wearing critter and its evolution

In Case someone hasn't seen the proto pokemon (there's some super cute baby pokemon in there too!): Proto:Pokémon Gold and Silver/Pokémon - The Cutting Room Floor

Typings: GIMME SOME EVIL DARK/FAIRY POKEMON. Fairies are far from all sunshine and rainbows. Some of the Fae are dark and demented creatures that love to prank if not harass humans in general! Think that bratty togepi from that one episode, only cranked up further. Bonus points if they're used by the Evil Team.

Concepts: Bring back some of the Proto Gold/Silver pokemon! Specifically..
-Quilfish's evolution
-The Dark type bell cat and its evolution. HOW DARE YOU DENY ME THIS CAT, GAMEFREAK.
-The bomb fire seal
-The very round tiger and its evolution
-Farfetch'd evolution
-The Chinese vampire panda
-The werewolf pelt wearing critter and its evolution

In Case someone hasn't seen the proto pokemon (there's some super cute baby pokemon in there too!): Proto:Pokémon Gold and Silver/Pokémon - The Cutting Room Floor
I don't think Qwilfish's evo will come back, since it kinda looks like Whiscash, maybe it was a recycled design. The others, on the other hand, should come back, specially Kotora/Raitora after being cut twice (maybe even more times now), the Fire/Water seal (might be problematic with Popplio) and the berserker Pokémon. The jiangshi panda also looked fun.

some old typings need new out takes for regular pokemon.
Shedinja like ability pokemon:
dragon/ghost (walking skeleton with a a blue fog like aura armor---> immune to non-contact moves(special category), higher speed then Shedinja and higher hp and status thats not immune)

dark/psychic (half lion - half crocodile from egiptian mythology--> immune to all contact moves(physical category)higher speed then Shedinja and higher hp and status thats not immune)

ghost/rock gargole - immune to moves that are normally SE against it.

rock/psychic a new regional form of Gigalith line with new ability to be immune to sound moves but also to send them back to opponents at the same time.

dark/ice Pinguin queen with Queenly Majesty
dragon/grass (european dorn-rose dragon)
fighting/steel (musketeer mouse)
steel/flying (flying lizard similar like those flying squirrels)

water/grass --- aligator that could use Disquise ability like hiding in a wood barell

ice/ghost--- horror snowman --- should have more hp, defences both high and maybe solid rock ability or something that makes fire look bad? buffed heatproof?(66% reduced demage and both stats grow one stage)

ice/ghost---- moose , fast physical attacker that uses head based and horn moves like leech horn for regeneration.

yes some concepts would be interesting like a pokemon that when falls asleep and turns into a monster with 600 BST
(like schooling ability but allows to attack). Could see this as dark/fairy, normal/fighting or fairy/fighting

Voodoo doll pokemon, with a lot of hp, that could use curse without self damage and that could send any damage it takes also to the enemy?
ghost/fighting anyone?

ghost/fighting- white ape pokemon

fire/grass Cactus
fire/grass Orangutan
fire/grass Tree or bush with burning seeds

fire/ice --- japanese monkey or maybe a baboon?
fire/ice ---- legendary 6 legged norse horse

yes a fighting/poison baboon or salamander more defense oriented.

bug/ghost -- half human -half spider pokemon with ability to steal hp from pokemon that are not under sleep status and that self can't fall sleep.
bug/rock ---> bug/ghost-- Scarab type change via move and ability.

bug/fairy "regional" Scolipede form
rock/fighting "regional" geodude form

rock/psychic ---.> "gravity" oriented

ground/psychic---> shakal

electric/ice---> turtle , magnetic ability immunity to steel

norma/steel --->badger

normal/fire ---- red panda

flying/fighting--- chinese crane

dragon/fighting--- fast small winged lizard

fighting pokemon with the "steel worker" ability

ice/bug---- has sound move to auto-freeze oponent(ice will-o-wisp), the move Powder and maybe the Disquise ability? moth that is protected by a ice Disquise?

Bug/psychic worm or preying mantis ---- ability that blocks all oponents moves that gain STAB (a Blaziken will be not able to use fire and fighting moves against this pokemon)

bug/ground ---> worm that is always in semi-invurable turn(protected) like dig when any terrain or sandstorm is activated.
(moves that always hit will hit, moves that hit dig users+more probably to come)

bug/dragon- Cicadoidea, with sound moves and maybe a new sound ability?
priority sound based moves anyone? it could use both the bug and dragon sound move.

Steel/Poison-------- humunculus
australian devil lizard
tasmanian devil????
a new regional form for Schuckle anyone?

fire/poison: rattle snake
quetza coatle
australian devil lizard
a poisones burning cloud like Jinn with Water Absorb?

water/steel tiger

steel/normal yak

fairy/poison: slug
slcolipide
purpicuine
pest bird

ice/fairy: goblin
ice queen that has ability to transform into ice/water

rock/fairy: bridge troll like from trollhunters netflix guilermo del toro
water/fairy: river troll

fighting/ice : fast bipedal panther
mega beartic

dark/fighting: Cassowary with ability: priority head moves and sound physical attack

electric/flying : fast falcon pokemon
cloud like beeing

dragon/electric : frog or lizard that when trapped by oponent causes oponent to loose a lot of hp every turn.

ice/flying --- regional Noctowl with magic bounce?
ice/flying moving in blizzard rat like creature maybe Buizel regional form?

Last edited:
How about finally pairing Dragon with Bug, this would finally allow them to make a truly terrifying Dragon-type that we need in modern Pokemon games. Salamence, Rayquaza, Giratina, Hydreigon and even Guzzlord isn't enough for intimidating Dragon-types, I want to see a dragon with mandibles and bug-like wings as a Pokemon that actually has the Bug typing, not one like Flygon.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, he have yet to have a ghost/rock type. Maybe it could be a fossil Pokémon that has the ghost typing as a result of the revival process being screwed up slightly. It’s morbid yes, but it wouldn’t be the first Pokémon to have a disturbing backstory.

I also wonder what a Steel/Poison type would look like.

How about finally pairing Dragon with Bug, this would finally allow them to make a truly terrifying Dragon-type that we need in modern Pokemon games. Salamence, Rayquaza, Griratina, Hydreigon and even Guzzlord isn't enough for intimidating Dragon-types, I want to see a dragon with mandibles and bug-like wings as a Pokemon that actually has the Bug typing, not one like Flygon.

what would you say to a Cicadoidea, think of it, what sound move we have already. Big strong like Arcanine in BST or could be made like wishiwashi with Schooling or get a new ability with priority sound moves.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom