• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are there Japanese Pokemon names that you prefer to English ones?

Reaction score
Alola everyone! This is a thread about sharing any Pokemon species that you feel has a better Japanese name than English name (not if Japanese or English names are better in general), if the Japanese name is more fitting and so on. Curious to see other people's thoughts :D

I don’t dislike the name “Serperior,” but I do think that “Jalorda” has a nice ring to it.

Bulbasaur’s English and Japanese names are both good, but what I really love is its French name - Bulbizarre. Admittedly, that is due in part to my existing familiarity with the English name and how it plays off of that, but also, I think it is arguably a more accurate translation of the original Japanese pun.

Last edited:
I've always preferred Milokaross over Milotic. It sounds similar to Gyarados, which Milotic has many parallels to. Gilguard is also a much better name than Aegislash. I bet a lot of kids find the first part hard to pronounce.

Togechick and Cosmovum. The former because Togetic is a misromanisation, the latter because there was literally no reason to change it to Cosmoem. "Cosmovum" will have the same effect on English speakers as it will on Japanese speakers. What was the point of changing one Latin word to another Latin word?

@MizuTaipu In Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, there's an Aegislash in Noe Town who says his name is Gilguard. It struck me as weird, because I didn't realise that was its Japanese name.

Electabuzz is a fun name that fits it but I also love the name Eleboo, by maybe an inch more. =D Most people cannot agree what the "boo" part means. I read on the Bulbapedia page that it comes from "bunbun," which means a buzzing sound, but I also read on Dogasu's Backback that it could also mean "boost." Whichever it is, it's a cute name for a great Pokemon!

I think Magikarp's Japanese name is pretty neat, Koiking. Also I think it's kind of cute how Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon Japanese names are Booster, Thunders, and Showers respectively. Sylveon's Japanese name is also cute and fun to say as well, Nymphia.

I must say that Dadarin is a great name for Dhelmise. No idea what it actually means. I could read the possible inspiration, but I don't really mind; saying Dadarin is both cool and fun to say, which is why my shiny Dadarin has the Dadarin name.

I really like Charizard's Japanese name Lizardon for some reason. I just like the sound of it.
I also like:
Ruffresia more than Vilplume
Mimilop (just a little) more than Lopunny. Just a little, because I still like Lopunny's English name.
Archeos more than Archeops.
Chillaccino more than Cinccino.
Junaiper more than Decidueye. I always though Decidueye's English name was weird.

I highly prefer Iwanko to Rockruff. Iwanko has a nice ring to it. Even though I love both the Japanese and English name, Iwanko is a tad bit better. I prefer Lycanroc to Rugarugan, though.

I also prefer Silvady to Silvally. It just sounds better.

I think Magikarp's Japanese name is pretty neat, Koiking.

I really like Charizard's Japanese name Lizardon for some reason. I just like the sound of it.

Archeos more than Archeops.
Chillaccino more than Cinccino.

Yukinooh to Abomasnow

I prefer Koiking over Magikarp.

As for the rest listed here, I do quite like the Japanese names, although I wouldn’t say that I prefer them outright. Particularly in Archeops’s case, Archeos is a great name, but I feel like it would be more appropriate for a different Pokémon. Like a Legendary, something more hallowed and sacred and powerful.

I highly prefer Iwanko to Rockruff. Iwanko has a nice ring to it. Even though I love both the Japanese and English name, Iwanko is a tad bit better. I prefer Lycanroc to Rugarugan, though.

I also prefer Silvady to Silvally. It just sounds better.

Meanwhile, I personally cannot stand the sound or feel of Iwanko or Silvady. :p

Off the top of my head, the only name change that upset me was turning Yorterrie to Lillipup. When I was growing up my mom bred Yorkshire Terriers so seeing a pokemon with a name and design based off them was so cool! And then they changed its name to basically 'really small pup'. Wowzers. I guess 'lilpup' was too on the nose?

I also like saying Yorterrie better.

I think Junaiper is easier to pronounce and remember than Decidueye.
Also Jukain somehow sounds better than Sceptile.
Kibago > Axew. Kibago actually sounds cute, but Axew just sounds meh.
Ruujura > Jynx. Jynx is difficult to pronounce for Asians, plus it comes from jinx which means bad luck, while Game Freak never associated it with bad luck. (Though I guess the racial controversy is pretty much bad luck...)
Nasshi > Exeggutor. How many people can spell Exeggutor correctly? Hmmm...
Tamatama > Exeggcute. Oh... how to spell it? Having c after g is ridiculous.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom