• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are there ONLY 8 gyms in Shinou?

Rocketshipper

SOOOOONANSU!!
Reaction score
In the Unown episode that just aired this past week, I noticed something interesting. When Ash showed Kengo his badge case, we could see all the empty slots where his future badges would go...and they were all shaped exactly like the badges he is going to be getting.

Now, the reason this seems so strange is because, up till now, it has always been assumed/implied that each region (except Orange and the BF, which had a specific number of gyms/facilities) has a large number of gyms, and the only reason Ash happens to get the badges he does is because those are the gyms from the game. But this time, his badge case seems made to hold the 8 badges from the game SPECIFICALLY. How would the manufacturer of this badge case know that its owner would win those 8 badges in particular? It should also be noted that the gym badge slots were in game order, rather than geographic order; so the manufacturer also knew the "real" order that the trainer would collect the badges in. The only *logical* consistant explanation would be that those 8 gyms are the ONLY gyms in the region.

Now I know it is probably just a mistake by the writers; we all know which badges Ash is going to get, and they might have just decided to give him a case like in the games, forgetting that there are supposed to be more than just those 8 gyms in the region. But I still thought it was an interesting element.

Perhaps Kanto and Johto regions have many gyms, while Hoenn and Sinnoh are restricted to the only 8.

Perhaps Kanto and Johto regions have many gyms, while Hoenn and Sinnoh are restricted to the only 8.
Nah, Hoenn has at least nine iirc, because Morrison had an anime-exclusive one.

Anyway... that's an excellent point. o.o Probably just an oversight.

Er, wouldn't it be a mistake of the animators, rather than that of one by the writers.

Agreed, it's probably just them not thinking about it. Come sinnoh league i can see us seeing other badges, but they probably made it look like that cause it's the gyms we know he goes to. Also, in the games in the badge case can't you already see the shapes of the badges you don't have?

Er, wouldn't it be a mistake of the animators, rather than that of one by the writers.
>.> SHHHHH!
Agreed, it's probably just them not thinking about it. Come sinnoh league i can see us seeing other badges, but they probably made it look like that cause it's the gyms we know he goes to. Also, in the games in the badge case can't you already see the shapes of the badges you don't have?
Yeah, but that's because in the game, those are literally the only ones you can get.

I realise that's over thinking it really, but the animators could have drawn inspiration from it still.

I realise that's over thinking it really, but the animators could have drawn inspiration from it still.

That seems likely, but the problem is, as stated before, that while Ash always gets the same eight badges as in the games, it is always implied that those are not the only badges in the region.

No i know, like with the marowak guy and morrison, but the animators might not remember that be it not really knowing or just not thinking about it. I don't think their top priority is to make things that minute completely in continuity, the badge case looks cool which i think is the main thing as far as a badge case goes.

Even people who watch the show would miss out on there being more than 8 Gyms per region in the anime if they missed the handful of episodes where non-game badges were shown. There's like what, six out of 400?

I never really paid it much heed. I think I only caught wind of it during the Indigo saga when Oak mentioned Gary having 10 badges.

I wonder if that case Cynthia gave Ash in the Mismagus episode was a case of Sinnoh badges, or if they were made up by the Mismagus...

Kanto having many gyms was producer's screw up. You know, in Kanto they were doing just what they wanted. I really wasn't a fan of their Kanto methods. I'm glad that Shin'ou doesn't have more than 8 badges. Unless they do some change again.

Probably for an excuse to set him apart from Ash. XD

Besides, there could be anime-exclusive Gyms around which we never see, thus why there are badges that were obtained off-screen.

It's just a mistake of them
Most likely Sinnoh also has a lot of gyms - it's much more logical than 8 gyms only
Also the Mismagius episode remind us about the anime-only badges so they probably intend to show some of those later again especially if Paul and Nando will show us all their badges... it'd be stupid to see that they all have exactly the same badges

Speaking of Mismagius didn't we see some non game badges in that giant badge case?

Speaking of Mismagius didn't we see some non game badges in that giant badge case?

Yes... that's what I said- the Mismagius episode showed anime only badges so it seems like they want to remind us there are a lots of gyms and not only the 8 from the games

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom