• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are they ever gonna show Sobble and Grookey in action?

Yep, looks like we're going 20 episodes without seeing Grookey and Sobble. I'm done with Pocket Monsters 2019. Not enough love for Galar and it's taken way too long for those two Pokemon to appear. This is why I've been following PM2019, to see those two in action. It's gonna take like half a year or possibly more for them to appear and it has me very annoyed. There's no excuse for their long absence.

No one can say now that pokémon anime is not full of surprises.
Yeah. The fact that Gou's Scorbunny might evolve before we even see Grookey and Sobble in the anime is not fair to those two or their fans. Sorry, but I find it dumb that this might happen.

So, you're refuting my personal opinion about what I find pleasant? Wow!

Also, argunentum ad populum.

Nope, just refuting your reasoning on why it's fine that those two starters haven't appeared (why would you assume I'm bullying you, that's an unnecessary accusation to make). Grookey and Sobble's lack of appearances after 20 episodes is baffling, lacking even something as minor as a cameo that could be filled into a recurring role and then a capture. And I know a lot of people share this sentiment.

Compare every series before and the starters all had appearances in the first 20 episodes in some form or the other (no, not counting opening titles).
Yeah. This is probably the very first time in which not all of the starters appeared within the first 20 episodes. I think that the latest it took for all of the starters to debut is the Kanto saga at 12 episodes.

Very disappointed that Scorbunny evolved while Grookey and Sobble still haven't appeared. I'm not happy about this.
I'm assuming that Scorbunny's evolution will lead into Gou getting the other starters. Basically replace the old cute
mascot with new cute mascots.

I'm assuming that Scorbunny's evolution will lead into Gou getting the other starters. Basically replace the old cute
mascot with new cute mascots.
You know, I was thinking that was a possibility. I'm just worried that if that's the case, then we'll be waiting longer for the other starter to appear if one starter is gonna be in the spotlight for about the same amount of time as Scorbunny.

I still think Ash gets at least one Galar starter, though I won't be surprised if Gou gets one.

I could still see Ash getting at least one of the Galar starters too. I think that Grookey would be a good fit for him, but at least part of that is because Grookey is my favorite Grass type starter at this point. I don't know about Gou getting both Grookey and Sobble. It wouldn't be impossible, but I would be kind of disappointed, if only because I'd want to see Ash catching more Galar Pokemon. Out of the two, Sobble could work for Gou, especially if they want to use Sobble to show Gou becoming a better trainer as it helps it to become more confident.

Maybe Gou will get one of the starters and with it he does the exact opposite of what he did with Scorbunny by training them too much (like working them to death to try and get stronger). He really didn't do much in the way of training with Scorbunny, but with Grookey or Sobble, maybe Gou pushes them too hard and it gets Grookey/Sobble to not trust Gou in the opposite way of Scorbunny. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas.

I think Ash is easily off the table for getting either of them. If he was, he would have got it within the first 10 episodes. It wouldn't make sense to give him a weak unevolved Pokemon after setting him up with such an overpowered team. A starter Pokemon now would be completely overshadowed by the stronger guys. This is evidenced by the necessity to can Charizard in order to make the Jhoto starters seem relevant in OS.

I think Ash is easily off the table for getting either of them. If he was, he would have got it within the first 10 episodes. It wouldn't make sense to give him a weak unevolved Pokemon after setting him up with such an overpowered team. A starter Pokemon now would be completely overshadowed by the stronger guys. This is evidenced by the necessity to can Charizard in order to make the Jhoto starters seem relevant in OS.
They could give him an already evolved starter, I suppose. It'd be unprecedented, but so is him not getting a new starter at all, and a lot of what this series has done has been unusual.

It really does feel bizarre that this series has been ongoing for around 4 months now and we still haven't seen Sobble or Grookey. Personally, I like to see the new Pokemon in action, the starters especially, so I'm pretty disappointed that we've had a serious lack of that. Even more disappointing is that Scorbunny is my favorite starter and it didn't even last 20 episodes. I do think they'll show up eventually, but I don't like the way it's been handled.

I do hope that when we eventually see the other starters (whenever that is...) Ash gets one or both. Personally, I can see him with both Grookey and Sobble. Unless Gou starts training his Pokemon more, I think they'd get the best focus and development with Ash.

I can't speak for anybody but myself but I would rather have the new starters "shoved in our faces" than having even more Gen 1 nostalgia shoved in our faces. :p

I'm not sure which one I would want Satoshi to get though. I like Grookey's line more than the Sobble line. But Sobble also seems like it could have good character development since it has an interesting personality. I think it would be easier to give it some kind of conflict that it needs to overcome.

Kind of weird that they don't want to advertise the new Pokémon. What about the new DLC? Are they not going to advertise that? But then again they barely even advertise Galar.

I don't know about that. I don't think that they were in Galar that much during the first ten episodes and they were setting up for Gou to capture Scorbunny anyway. It wouldn't be impossible for Ash to not get one, but I don't think it's a guarantee yet. They have given him more overpowered Pokemon, but I don't think it would be impossible for him to get an unevolved Pokemon. If anything, I think that would be potentially more interesting since we would actually see Ash raise new Pokemon from early stages instead of just getting them after they're already fully evolved. I just generally prefer to see characters to raise their Pokemon throughout the course of the series and see their progress in strength. Admittedly, that doesn't always happen, but I feel like it's generally more satisfying and believable to see trainers raise their Pokemon from being weak into being more powerful. That was something Ash generally would do with his Pokemon, but now that he's gotten multiple fully evolved Pokemon, that's apparently unbelievable now, which I find a bit sad. It's also a bit annoying that over half of his team is full of Kanto Pokemon instead of having a bit more variety in terms of the generations. Just because Ash is from Kanto doesn't mean he should only get Kanto region Pokemon.

They did get rid of Charizard in part to make the Johto starters shine a bit more, but they also needed to make room for Ash to get them. By the time he caught Chikorita, he had a full team, so they needed to make room for Cyndaquil, Totodile and Noctowl.

I don't know about that. I don't think that they were in Galar that much during the first ten episodes and they were setting up for Gou to capture Scorbunny anyway. It wouldn't be impossible for Ash to not get one, but I don't think it's a guarantee yet. They have given him more overpowered Pokemon, but I don't think it would be impossible for him to get an unevolved Pokemon. If anything, I think that would be potentially more interesting since we would actually see Ash raise new Pokemon from early stages instead of just getting them after they're already fully evolved. I just generally prefer to see characters to raise their Pokemon throughout the course of the series and see their progress in strength. Admittedly, that doesn't always happen, but I feel like it's generally more satisfying and believable to see trainers raise their Pokemon from being weak into being more powerful. That was something Ash generally would do with his Pokemon, but now that he's gotten multiple fully evolved Pokemon, that's apparently unbelievable now, which I find a bit sad. It's also a bit annoying that over half of his team is full of Kanto Pokemon instead of having a bit more variety in terms of the generations. Just because Ash is from Kanto doesn't mean he should only get Kanto region Pokemon.

They did get rid of Charizard in part to make the Johto starters shine a bit more, but they also needed to make room for Ash to get them. By the time he caught Chikorita, he had a full team, so they needed to make room for Cyndaquil, Totodile and Noctowl.
Well it's not like the series director doesn't get to decide which episodes take place in which region. If they wanted another early Galar episode for Ash to get a starter, they would have just added one. I'm with you in that I prefer to see Ash's Pokemon train and grow throughout the series, but all signs point to that not happening here. Introducing weak, inexperienced Pokemon now after Ash has already caught two fully evolved, battle-ready goliaths would be sort of ass-backwards. Frankly, the best thing this series has going for it is that Ash hasn't been nerfed for the first time ever. Giving Ash a weak Pokemon now would be a nerf in and of itself, and would be a mind-boggling decision to do 20+ episodes into the series, as opposed to at the start where no one would bat an eye.

You can't say Charizard was released for 'space' when Ash was regularly rotating his team at the time. He would have just left it at Oak's if that were the case. The writers had to completely eliminate it from his team otherwise they would never be able to justify Ash using Cyndaquil. They would have the same problem here. In fact, there is no logical reason for Ash not to use his reserves in this series, but as long as the new Pokemon he catches are equally as strong it's at least somewhat believable that opts not to use them.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom