• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are they ever gonna show Sobble and Grookey in action?

Well it's not like the series director doesn't get to decide which episodes take place in which region. If they wanted another early Galar episode for Ash to get a starter, they would have just added one. I'm with you in that I prefer to see Ash's Pokemon train and grow throughout the series, but all signs point to that not happening here. Introducing weak, inexperienced Pokemon now after Ash has already caught two fully evolved, battle-ready goliaths would be sort of ass-backwards. Frankly, the best thing this series has going for it is that Ash hasn't been nerfed for the first time ever. Giving Ash a weak Pokemon now would be a nerf in and of itself, and would be a mind-boggling decision to do 20+ episodes into the series, as opposed to at the start where no one would bat an eye.

I don't think that giving Ash a weak Pokemon would necessarily be a nerf. An unevolved Pokemon could still be powerful in its own right instead of just being automatically considered weak simply because it isn't a fully evolved powerhouse. Chimchar had a lot of power well before it became Infernape for example, so they could easily do something like that. I just don't like the notion that Ash can't possibly be bothered to actually raise his Pokemon from the ground up just because they retcon Mr. Mime into being a strong and gave him a Dragonite and Gengar. It just feels kind of backwards to Ash has always seen training Pokemon and how plenty of Pokemon are strong regardless of whether or not they evolve. If Ash really isn't allowed to get any unevolved Pokemon for this whole series, I'd be pretty annoyed and disappointed on multiple levels.

Beatsy Ray said:
You can't say Charizard was released for 'space' when Ash was regularly rotating his team at the time. He would have just left it at Oak's if that were the case. The writers had to completely eliminate it from his team otherwise they would never be able to justify Ash using Cyndaquil. They would have the same problem here. In fact, there is no logical reason for Ash not to use his reserves in this series, but as long as the new Pokemon he catches are equally as strong it's at least somewhat believable that opts not to use them.

Outside of the Indigo and Orange Island Leagues, I don't recall Ash regularly rotating his team at the time, so I think that space was a factor. Considering Charizard's personality and how it had just recently learned to listen to Ash, I don't think that they'd want to just leave it at Professor Oak's lab. There wouldn't have been a good justified reason for Ash to leave it there right after he started traveling through Johto. At least leaving Bulbasaur there did kind of fit with its personality and backstory, even if it did take them way too long to actually do it. I think that they wanted to give the Kanto starters bigger sendoffs because of their popularity, which is why they all got a proper sendoff episode. Plus, they didn't realize that it would be better marketing wise for Ash to start off with a nearly fresh team until AG. While I understand your point about how having Charizard around would make it harder to justify Ash using Cyndaquil, I also have a bit of a hard time really seeing that as a big issue, mainly because by that same notion there's no reason as to why he should bother raising any other Fire Pokemon when he has Infernape.

Dragonite and Gengar can still train and grow. There is nothing to suggest that they are unbeatable.

Anyway, I am glad they aren't bothering having Ash start from square one with a bunch of rookie Pokemon. It is a stale concept that has been done to death. In this series, he represents the experienced trainer, so let him be the one to train more higher level Pokemon like Dragonite and Gengar. Go is the rookie and most of the rudimentary development that rookie trainers and rookie Pokemon go through can happen with him.

Outside of the Indigo and Orange Island Leagues, I don't recall Ash regularly rotating his team at the time, so I think that space was a factor. Considering Charizard's personality and how it had just recently learned to listen to Ash, I don't think that they'd want to just leave it at Professor Oak's lab. There wouldn't have been a good justified reason for Ash to leave it there right after he started traveling through Johto. At least leaving Bulbasaur there did kind of fit with its personality and backstory, even if it did take them way too long to actually do it. I think that they wanted to give the Kanto starters bigger sendoffs because of their popularity, which is why they all got a proper sendoff episode. Plus, they didn't realize that it would be better marketing wise for Ash to start off with a nearly fresh team until AG. While I understand your point about how having Charizard around would make it harder to justify Ash using Cyndaquil, I also have a bit of a hard time really seeing that as a big issue, mainly because by that same notion there's no reason as to why he should bother raising any other Fire Pokemon when he has Infernape.
Heracross was also eventually left at Oak's so there's really no precedent for Ash needing to release a Pokemon just for the sake of clearing up space. The Infernape thing doesn't apply here because, as you said, it was established by then that Ash wanted to build a new team whenever he traveled to new region. This wasn't the case in Jhoto so their only choice was to either get rid of Charizard or let it dominate Ash's team the whole series.

In the episode, TRio have a long shpeial about how unstoppable Ash is with Charizard, and I always took that as the writers being transparent about how they wrote themselves into a wall and needed to get rid of it in order for the new Pokemon to shine.

Dragonite and Gengar can still train and grow. There is nothing to suggest that they are unbeatable.

Anyway, I am glad they aren't bothering having Ash start from square one with a bunch of rookie Pokemon. It is a stale concept that has been done to death. In this series, he represents the experienced trainer, so let him be the one to train more higher level Pokemon like Dragonite and Gengar. Go is the rookie and most of the rudimentary development that rookie trainers and rookie Pokemon go through can happen with him.

I'm not saying that they can't be trained or grow. I'm saying that I prefer it when Ash trains his Pokemon so that they can become stronger over the course of the series as opposed to be considered powerhouses from the start. Although, I'm still not sure if Dragonite and Gengar presented that strong in the series or if fans assume that they are powerful because they're fully evolved or due to how they're presented in the games. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I like Ash starting from square one with a bunch of new Pokemon. Granted, it definitely doesn't have that same kind of fresh appeal as it did when they first started that concept. It was a refreshing idea in AG, but now it's more cliche and expected, so a part of me can understand finding it stale at this point. I don't mind the idea of Ash representing an experienced trainer. That does sound neat. I just wish that they could have a bit more variety with his team. Ash using his experience to train both fully evolved and unevolved Pokemon could be interesting too. It doesn't have to be one or the other necessarily. Having more variety in terms of having Pokemon from different regions would definitely help and it would fit nicely with the whole world tour concept as well.

Heracross was also eventually left at Oak's so there's really no precedent for Ash needing to release a Pokemon just for the sake of clearing up space. The Infernape thing doesn't apply here because, as you said, it was established by then that Ash wanted to build a new team whenever he traveled to new region. This wasn't the case in Jhoto so their only choice was to either get rid of Charizard or let it dominate Ash's team the whole series.

In the episode, TRio have a long shpeial about how unstoppable Ash is with Charizard, and I always took that as the writers being transparent about how they wrote themselves into a wall and needed to get rid of it in order for the new Pokemon to shine.

Heracross wasn't nearly as popular as Charizard or any of the Kanto starters though. They wouldn't have unceremoniously dropped Charizard at Professor Oak's lab so soon after Ash regained its trust. It also technically wasn't a release considering that Ash still has Charizard's Pokeball. It looked like a release at the time, but that wasn't really the case. I doubt that they considered letting Charizard stay on his team for all of Johto. Although, looking back at the saga, they almost did both options in a way. Charizard was gone for the majority of the arc, but then it and most of Ash's Kanto reserves took up more focus away from the Johto Pokemon starting with the Clair battle.

I'm not saying that they can't be trained or grow. I'm saying that I prefer it when Ash trains his Pokemon so that they can become stronger over the course of the series as opposed to be considered powerhouses from the start. Although, I'm still not sure if Dragonite and Gengar presented that strong in the series or if fans assume that they are powerful because they're fully evolved or due to how they're presented in the games. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I like Ash starting from square one with a bunch of new Pokemon. Granted, it definitely doesn't have that same kind of fresh appeal as it did when they first started that concept. It was a refreshing idea in AG, but now it's more cliche and expected, so a part of me can understand finding it stale at this point. I don't mind the idea of Ash representing an experienced trainer. That does sound neat. I just wish that they could have a bit more variety with his team. Ash using his experience to train both fully evolved and unevolved Pokemon could be interesting too. It doesn't have to be one or the other necessarily. Having more variety in terms of having Pokemon from different regions would definitely help and it would fit nicely with the whole world tour concept as well.

Well, it seems pretty likely Ash will catch a Riolu in the future. If this is true, Ash will probably need to train this unevolved Pokemon.

I just think that dumping all the miscellaneous Pokemon on Go is cheap. There's already the fact that people complain because Go's Pokemon don't appear that often and because Go doesn't train them, so having him own the other two Galar starters sounds like it would be a waste and lead to more Go bashing later on.

Plus given that Scorbunny wasn't used properly prior to it evolving, I feel like Go getting Grookey and Sobble would amount to hardly anything too and they'd only show up a few times to remind kids to purchase their plushies.

Just because Ash is from Kanto doesn't mean he should only get Kanto region Pokemon.
I might be in minority here, but I think it's good the vast majority of trainer's Pokémon is from his native region, that's why I didn't like what they've been doing with Ash's team from Johto onwards.

Is it fun to be constantly negative? It's not even constructive criticism at this point. There is many hints regarding her joining the main cast in a near future.
Well, if you ever noticed, more than half of my episode review posts (whenever I do get time to make them, which obviously wasn’t a lot when you’re dealing with the most important examinations of your life) are dedicated to positive aspects of the episode, ever since the Sun/Moon series.

I just find Koharu shown so rarely that she'd get a starter. The writers preferred to show TR blast off twice in one episode rather than do something with her, so I’m not feeling certain.

Whenever I’ve been positive about this series, it has always failed to perform (with a few notable exceptions) so I prefer to take the completely realistic approach when predicting things while trying to remove the wishful component as much as possible.

People can be sarcastic and cynical in their posts, as how they do in most of their reviews. What I find tiring is seeing people shooting down any proposals to develop a character with a sarcastic reply about how they forgot/don't care about them. It feels more like normalizing how unfair a character is treated, instead of criticizing it.

Sobble should be given to Koharu.

That would be a good option too. I'm not sure how likely it is or how well Sobble would be handled under Koharu, but I do really hope that they'll make her the proper female lead instead of just appearing once in awhile.

I might be in minority here, but I think it's good the vast majority of trainer's Pokémon is from his native region, that's why I didn't like what they've been doing with Ash's team from Johto onwards.

I think that would be far too limiting though and they probably would have run out of Kanto Pokemon Ash could have believably caught by this point if they did go that route.

Giving Sobble to Koharu could be a good idea if they want her to become more of a main character in the future. I hope they won't give Sobble some kind of Togepi plot though. They tend to give sassy female characters like Kasumi/Misty and Iris this kind of plot to "bring out their motherly side" and I have personally never been a fan of it.

I think that would be far too limiting though and they probably would have run out of Kanto Pokemon Ash could have believably caught by this point if they did go that route.
I'd rather see him use his old ones instead of catching new. 5 (or more) new Pokémon each region is too much for me, especially if he already caught Pokémon of that type before.

I'd rather see him use his old ones instead of catching new. 5 (or more) new Pokémon each region is too much for me, especially if he already caught Pokémon of that type before.
So... if he only catches Kanto Pokemon like you wanted him to, and doesn’t capture new ones, then should he keep training those 6 Pokemon? That’d get stale real quick.

So... if he only catches Kanto Pokemon like you wanted him to, and doesn’t capture new ones, then should he keep training those 6 Pokemon? That’d get stale real quick.
I wouldn't want him to capture ONLY Kanto Pokémon, but capturing Grass/Water/Fire/Flying etc. Pokémon for the n-th time when he already has these is quite boring.
Yes, I'd rather see him training his old Pokémon than conveniently getting higher places in the leagues with a team of rookies. IF they have to keep him as the main protagonist.

I wouldn't want him to capture ONLY Kanto Pokémon, but capturing Grass/Water/Fire/Flying etc. Pokémon for the n-th time when he already has these is quite boring.
I was just confused by this...

Anyways; different fire/water/flying types can have different personalities and be distinctive.

Charizard was nothing like Infernape, and Sceptile was nothing like Torterra.

Giving Sobble to Koharu could be a good idea if they want her to become more of a main character in the future.

If being the keyword. And I'm sorry to say that I don't think the writers want Koharu to be a main character in the same capacity as Ash and Go. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I'm just being realistic based on what I've observed since this series began.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom