• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are we going to see Kalos in the Post-game?

Is it possible to revisit Kalos region in the Post-game?

• Yes

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 86.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I personally think that Kalos is not going to happen in USUM’s postgame because the 3D models of Kalos that we have right now are so different from the one that we have of Alola. I highly doubt GF would want to redo the whole of Kalos in the same manner when it really wouldn’t add much to how we experience Kalos.

My Prediction would be:
2017: USUM (with no post game Region)
2018: Gen 8 (Yes, I'm pretty sure they're starting the Switch with a new Gen, and for all intents and purposes they seem to be preparing for a late 2018 release).
2019: Break Year
2020: Kanto sequels/Sinnoh remakes
2021: Sinnoh Remakes/Kanto Sequels (basically which option didn't happen in 2020 happens now).

That would mean a 4 year generation, but I cannot find any other feasible schedule. I'm very much inclined to say that Kanto sequels may not happen at all...

2021: Sinnoh Remakes/Kanto Sequels (basically which option didn't happen in 2020 happens now).

That would mean a 4 year generation, but I cannot find any other feasible schedule. I'm very much inclined to say that Kanto sequels may not happen at all...
Why do you wish to see Kanto sequels, again? Hasn't Kanto gotten enough focus already?! I know it's your own opinion, and I respect that, but I just cannot fathom the thought. I had rather other regions get some much-needed focus *cough*Unova*cough* instead of Kanto getting the limelight yet again.

As for the Gen 8 thing, I just cannot digest the idea that we will get the new Generation so early. I know, there are rumours about Gen 7 lasting apparently for 2 years only, and this might actually be true, but that is clearly a short span compared to other Generations, and might ultimately lead to Gen VII getting less focus overall.

Why do you wish to see Kanto sequels, again? Hasn't Kanto gotten enough focus already?! I know it's your own opinion, and I respect that, but I just cannot fathom the thought. I had rather other regions get some much-needed focus *cough*Unova*cough* instead of Kanto getting the limelight yet again.

Well, I'm not a huge supporter of that Kanto limelight, but after all that evidence I decided to include it into the schedule. I did say at the end that I'm very much inclined to say that Kanto sequels may not happen at all.

GameFreak clearly do not care about less or more focus for a region (see Gen 6). Gen 7 is still getting the average amount of games, compared to the recent Generations, so I don't think that's a huge issue.

I just cannot see them starting Switch with a Kanto game (which will be considered Gen 7). A new Generation on a new console makes sense. And GF is aiming for 2018, and I think it's likely that they'll meet their target, since Nintendo will make sure that their hard-hitter for 2018 actually releases in 2018.

Because Kanto has never in the whole of 21 years gotten an update. Even Johto with HGSS had somewhat of an update. LGFR and HGSS didn't do much for Kanto at all.

Also, it's a no go to Kalos in USUM.

Also, what's the guarantee that Johto gets included in the possible sequels? I can easily see GF being dicks, ignore all these theorising people partially, and make Pokemon Vermillion and Azure with Kanto only, and the mascots are Mega Charizard V, and Mega Charizard A, Fire/Fighting and Fire/Water, both with Beast Boost. The Johto starters are retconned to have truant as their HA.

GF have told us ever so nicely that they'd prefer Kanto to have the limelight anytime over Johto.

Back to topic, I think this can happen in USUM in order of likeliness:
1. No postgame Region.
2. Selective Kanto Locations
3. Whole of Kanto
4. Kalos.

I think Pokemon are representative of their region. Remember people using Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon respectively in M20 for determining Kanto or Sinnoh remakes/sequels?
The remade regions recently are promoted by their Pokémon. ORAS in the anime was promoted using new Pokemon, and not a visit to Hoenn. A new generation is usually promoted by a new Pokemon first in the movie/anime like Magearna.

Pokemon and Region do hand in hand imo.
Even if it were not so, we already saw a carbon-copy of Viridian forest in XY, and Nugget Bridge in SM. We also saw Mewtwo-in-Cerulean-Cave reference in Kalos. Also the snorlax thing in XY.

EDIT: summing up, a Region and it's Pokemon go hand in hand, and we've seen both in Kanto's case a lot.

Last edited:
My Prediction would be:
2017: USUM (with no post game Region)
2018: Gen 8 (Yes, I'm pretty sure they're starting the Switch with a new Gen, and for all intents and purposes they seem to be preparing for a late 2018 release).
2019: Break Year

Masuda has said that it usually takes them at least 3 years from the start of a gen to develop a new gen game, so I would not bank so much on 2018 being the switch game's debut. I also agree that it will be a new gen whenever it gets released, though.
Because Kanto has never in the whole of 21 years gotten an update. Even Johto with HGSS had somewhat of an update. LGFR and HGSS didn't do much for Kanto at all.

Also, it's a no go to Kalos in USUM.
I think Kanto as a region and Kanto pokemons can be differentiated. The latter has indeed been everywhere but the former not so.

It actually has gotten as much updates as Johto has. HGSS includes Kanto, mind you. Literally the only thing missing from Kanto (in gen2 and thus, HGSS) are the things that block you from doing ALL gyms in whatever order you want, and the occasional Blue challenging you is also missing. That's the very core problem of Kanto. It is the first region, it is boring, it is small, it had no plot, there is no way to remake it without doing a 10-year timeskip sequel of it.

You say you can differentiate the region from the pokemon, but that's not quite true tbh. Many people are SICK of both. How many replicas have we seen already? From XY to SM, to even USUM, Kanto has literal blatantly admitted replicas of its locations and the pandering is incessant (Forest in XY, certain gym puzzles, Snorlax roadblock, Mewtwo in cave ref, mega evolutions for more Kanto mon than other gens until ORAS; The literally admitted copypasta of nugget bridge in SM, Diglett tunnel, Alolan Oak, Alolan kanto-only forms, protag is from Kanto, Kukui is a Kanto fanboy, Lillie goes to Kanto, more Kanto mon in the alola regional dex than actual GEN 7 Pokemon exist; Vermillion gym puzzle replica in USUM).

Honestly at this point I want both the pokemon and the region to just quietly fade away. I do not want another adventure in boring Kanto with the same old Kanto starters that we have been given freely in XY as well. There has just been so much Kanto pandering that they almost make you feel like you're reliving Kanto and there's no need to remake the actual thing. They would have to change the very core of the region to make it new and interesting, not to mention the entire story and even characters.

Johto was always a region with its own charm, despite being small, so even when you remake that, you would not need drastic core changes to make it not-boring. And it is always paired with Kanto, so yeah. Just let this stuff quietly fade away from focus and remain in people's memories fondly before it gets ruined from incessant pandering.

And, everyone and their mother were opposing Stars saying that it'd heavily disturb the Generation structure, plunging us into something like Gen 7.5, but no one is hesitating from Kanto on Switch when it clearly would be the same generation and would plunge us into the same Gen 7.5 debacle. The double standard...

EDIT: I'd like to thank @Niyuura for summing up the Kanto things better than me.

I don't think they'd revisit Kalos, but I don't want them to add Kanto because Kanto has been done to death. There's more than enough references of Kanto. Red and Green as Battle Tree bosses finalized it imo. What more is there needed when we've gotten the most celebrated characters in the games?

That's the very core problem of Kanto. It is the first region, it is boring, it is small, it had no plot, there is no way to remake it without doing a 10-year timeskip sequel of it.

That is exactly why we want a sequel. It has a lot of potential to be developed.

Also one of the most important part of a region is its people. I think almost everyone is familiar with the Kanto gym leaders in some way or another. These people would want to see how they're doing twenty years later. I think this has more significance than some forest and some bridge that got replicated. The fact is, those things that they're replicated are either non-consequential or just nice easter eggs. I dare say nobody is rushing to buy XY just because Viridian forest appears in it or that a Snorlax is blocking some road again.

Last edited:
That is exactly why we want a sequel. It has a lot of potential to be developed.

Also one of the most important part of a region is its people. I think almost everyone is familiar with the Kanto gym leaders in some way or another. These people would want to see how they're doing twenty years later. I think this has more significance than some forest and some bridge that got replicated. The fact is, those things that they're replicated are either non-consequential or just nice easter eggs. I dare say nobody is rushing to buy XY just because Viridian forest appears in it or that a Snorlax is blocking some road again.
Sounds good to me. If it's sequels we are talking, then I'm down for it. Like you said, it would be nice to see what the Gym Leaders have been doing since the past 20 years, and, even though Kanto has dragged on for all eternity it seems, it could turn out to be a nice little step.

I can see GF revisiting Kanto before Sinnoh because plenty of people would buy another Kanto game.
Unless it is a sequel or anything different, I doubt it would attract people with the same old story, same old designs, and same amount of content available. There has to be something to differentiate it from FRLG or the VC RGBY. Or else what's the point of paying $50 just to play a carbon copy game with zero development?

Unless it is a sequel or anything different, I doubt it would attract people with the same old story, same old designs, and same amount of content available. There has to be something to differentiate it from FRLG or the VC RGBY. Or else what's the point of paying $50 just to play a carbon copy game with zero development?

Well the graphics will be significantly different for one. I think that alone might be enough to draw in all those who played the game twenty years ago to buy it again.

You have all these genwunners who would buy for the graphics, plus Kanto is only post-game in HGSS.

Well the graphics will be significantly different for one. I think that alone might be enough to draw in all those who played the game twenty years ago to buy it again.

You have all these genwunners who would buy for the graphics, plus Kanto is only post-game in HGSS.

The Gen1-only fans who never bothered about Sun and Moon despite all those Kanto references including Red and Green reappearing? Okay.

The Gen1-only fans who never bothered about Sun and Moon despite all those Kanto references including Red and Green reappearing? Okay.

Like I said, I don't think most people care much about something as obscure as a Nugget Bridge. Most people however do care for Misty (as seen from all those walls of text whenever Misty gets mentioned) and Brock and Sabrina etc. These people would love to play a game where they're front and center once again. Even though they did announce that Red and Blue would make cameo appearances. I think that is still news that won't get the attention of people who aren't already in touch with Pokemon news since it is kind of obscure. Genwunners would also obviously rather have the original Pokemons and not the Alolan versions.

Like I said, I don't think most people care much about something as obscure as a Nugget Bridge. Most people however do care for Misty (as seen from all those walls of text whenever Misty gets mentioned) and Brock and Sabrina etc. These people would love to play a game where they're front and center once again. Even though they did announce that Red and Blue would make cameo appearances. I think that is still news that won't get the attention of people who aren't already in touch with Pokemon news since it is kind of obscure. Genwunners would also obviously rather have the original Pokemons and not the Alolan versions.

Many (and I mean MANY) 'Genwunners' returned to try the first main series game they found launching after GO mania- Pokemon Sun and Moon. It's a reason it's got very high sales. Alolan forms as a concept we're designed with these people in mind.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom