• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

I quit competitive after what Platinum did to the meta-game. Hopefully HG and SS can fix that with move tutors.

But I'll always enjoy Pokemon games, so both : )

Highly casual, honestly :eek:

Mostly casual =3 I only really EV train, and I tend to go with the pokemon I like based on their pokedex description, and of course, my favorites =)

I just play. I think I can count the number of times I've faced a living person on one hand.

I'm very much a casual player. Though I will say I like my Pokémon to have natures they can benefit from.

I played competitive for a few months when I had friends who did, but without them I won't do anything more than use a simulator because the reward isn't worth the effort. Other games I dabble in such as MOBAs have more speed and action as they aren't turn-based, and games like chess are more social, have more history, and are a better brain workout.

I am a very, very casual player. I've had online battles with friends in the past, but only with my in-game teams for fun. I don't know a thing about EV training, unfortunately.

I do enjoy playing Pokemon for the adventure aspect. Not ashamed to say it.

i'm casual all the way! and people better not tell me that makes me less of a gamer because i like playing the game for the story, adventure and my favorite pokemon that pick..based on cuteness..since i'm just playing in game casually, i don't need to make a big fuss over picking pokemon based on strength...i'm just fine getting along with pokemon that i find cute..
right now i'm replaying heart gold with an all eeveelution team! (menus the ice one)
why?
because i can!!! >:3

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, I don't really know

I got back into the games recently (borrowed Platinum, played both gen v games) and begun learning about natures and all that stuff

I like battling online and everything even if i got smashed a few times (Typhlosion/Ninetales/ENtei Eruption is INSANE) but I wouldn't say i'm super competitive since the tier rankings escape me and i battle with pokemon that range from UU/RU to OU

I've always been a casual player until now. :3

I do pay attention to type and move's effectiveness, but I don't really strict about EV, IV or natures.
I just pick my favorite Pokemon and play with them >w<

I was a casual player until I found out about the competitive side a few years back, then I was more of a competitive player for a year or two and now I'm back to being casual again. I still take an interest in the competitive side of things from time to time, but I don't really care about it anymore. I guess interests can change. Right now I'm just happy playing casually and probably won't ever go back to participating in the competitive side.

If by "competitive player", you mean someone who participates in official Nintendo events and regularly has actual DS battles, then no, I'm not a competitive player. As someone who only has one Pokémon-playing friend, the only way I could get in touch with enough Pokémon players for the environment to be truly stimulating is through a Pokémon League or other Play! Pokémon event, and I can never seem to find the time to get to one of those.

However, I do EV train, and I do care about Natures and IVs (actually, I'm currently figuring out RNG manipulation). My current roster doesn't have much to it, admittedly, but only because I don't want to start building my team until I find its performance on the simulators satisfactory. I do play quite a lot on simulators, and once I feel that I am ready, I do plan to eventually participate in Leagues.

That seems a long way off, though, since I'm still absolutely terrible.

So I guess I'm...not much of a competitive player yet, but definitely not casual either. Whatever that is.

I'm very casual. I'm still learning the ropes about EV training. One of my problems is that I don't have time to significantly train.

Eventually, I'd like to try more hardcore battling, but it will take me a while.

I like being casual, because I would get bored while breeding perfect nature, IVs and taking care if EVs are distributed correctly.
Although I tend not to have team full of Poké with poor stats and like to have in my team also something more powerful, because I don't want my game to be extra challenging. On the other side, I also don't use legendaries anymore and usually not even pseudolegendaries.

And also I find hard to answer if I use my favourites or not, because if I used only favourites, my whole team would be burned/frozen very quickly. And then there are those, who I started to like after I added them to my team (because I wanted certain type or something)

I went from being a casual player to competitive a couple of years ago. I'd play on simulators and I still have a lot of bred/EV'd Pokemon from those days where I'd play on Wifi.

For the last year or so I've been pretty much completely casual again. I go on PO/Showdown from time to time and occasionally catch up on what's happening in the meta, but I can never really stay interested in the competitive side of things anymore. I kind of wish that competitive battling was more accessible to the handhelds, it's a lot of time and effort for not a whole lot of reward the way things are now.

I guess I am considered competitive since I still EV train, IV breed, or IV reset for all my pokemon, however I am not as competitve as I used to be. I still play on Pokemon Showdown and follow the metagame, but I am not as into it as I used to be. Lately, I have been getting into Nuzlocke challenges and speed runs in Pokemon games.

I never thought about competitive playing until I got kicked at the PWT Champions for the fiftieth time - without even one win -.-

But excluding those non-main stuff to do, I don't care much about EVs and IVs

I wouldn't call myself a Competitive Player per-say since I'm not too interested in entering player battles to meet the same 10-20 Pokemon and builds all the time. But when I play in-game I do build story/special facility parties under a competitive mindset (IVs, EVs, Natures, Move-sets + overall synergy, keeping note of base stats etc).

Meh, the game gives me the option to make the guys I like as strong as I can w/ challenges that test that so I take advantage of that is all.

So...that's like half-and-half right?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom