• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Casual. I care about natures and abilities for the most part, but that's it.
I don't EV train, except in Join Avenue where I understand it better, and my battle style is mostly "various-typed attacks to cover all bases". That's really all that's needed to make the game easier.

For the most part, I am a competitive player. I prefer using Pokemon with beneficial or decent natures on my in-game teams. I like tinkering with IVs, EVs, and RNG abuse. I've visited Showdown, Pokemon Showdown, and even the old Shoddy before. I've been to one local tournament at Gamestop and won, but I would never take on any hardcore players at the video game championships nor on Smogon. I'm sure I could train up a team and survive a battle or two, but I'm not that knowledgeable in battle. I don't closely follow the metagame.

I'm very casual, at this point. I didn't even pick up Black 2, or White 2, until 2 days ago. Hell, I didn't even have a 3DS! I'm just not the fan, that I once was. As I get older, I'm getting more and more bored of the series. Just the same old, same old.

I'm more of a casual person myself. I've tried competitive battling before, but I'm not too good at it and usually loose every battle I'm in. I don't understand EV and IV training at all either and I get any of the tiers at all so I don't really try to bother with competitive battling.

Semi-competitive. I raise my Pokemon for competitive and I know some trends about the metagame but I'm not that hardcore into it.

I want to be able to play competitively, and I have EV trained pokemon before, but as of now, I suppose I would be leaning towards casual. Though I think that I would be considered near the middle of those two sides.

Casual. EVs and IVs are one thing I don't want to get into. I like using my favorites, and don't care about natures. My Manectric, for example, has a Jolly nature. Makes him seem bad, but in reality, he OHKO'd Wallace's Milotic.

I think that I would be a bit of both. I don't play competitive, but I do EV my main team and try to make sure they have good or neutral natures. I don't care about IV training since that just takes up way too much time. EV training, with the right items, is at least more manageable. Though, outside of battling online with people I know and my friend, I don't play against other people. I just try to go through the storyline, give my Pokemon the best moves they can have possible and get my team to level one hundred.

I'm mostly casual, because all the numbers you have to keep track of to stand a chance in the metagame tire me. The competitive community is also full of jerks. I am, however, looking into training an in-game competitive team for random match-ups, so i'm slowly getting into competitive.

I'm a bit of both, I have done a lot of EV training, but I also like playing none-competitive at times. I'm mostly casual, though.

I would be a mixture of both, but predominantly casual. I do take great interest in EV and IV training and implement them occasionally, but I wouldn't dictate my gameplay through them. I have more of an interest in learning about them and acknowledging them than actually using them, thus it's seldom that I would train like that. I have never played competitively online or anywhere, and I just wouldn't have the interest to either.

Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

I' am a strictly casual Pokemon player. I choose to use my favorite Pokemon whenever I start a new playthrough. I wouldn't be able to battle competitively if I could not form an emotional connection with my Pokemon.

I'm a mix of both. I'm a casual player in everything but Gen IV. Battle Revolution is a pretty fun game to make teams for. :3

I'm usually somewhere in the middle, but I lean more towards casual I suppose because I never have (or ever will probably) battle competitively. I usually try to get a neutral or positive nature for my pokemon, and I don't focus a lot on EVs (unless maybe I know exactly one stat I want to increase, and if there's a common wild pokemon nearby, I'll grind for a little while, not counting. Although I often do plan my teams in advance, but I never mess with the metagame. Just main and post. So with Purely Casual (like a fan, but not super fan) being 1 and Ridiculously Competitive (all the videogame championships and IV breeding, etc.) being 10, I'd be about a 3 or so.

Last edited:
I'm toats a casual player, I only get competitive with my friends, whom i haven't played pokemon with in years :[, but I'd like to get into competitive playing.
I just never got into ev's and iv's, but I'll do it up eventually, maybe with this next gen i'll get way into it and make myself known as a competitive player ;]

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom