Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

oh my
Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit of both to be honest. When I played as a little kid, and even up until a few months ago, I only played the games using my starter pokemon along with one or two other Pokemon, and would just run through the stories multiple times. But after some Wi-Fi battles, and several knockouts from teams of Kyurem and Terrakion, I'm becoming determined to EV train some Pokemon to make a few teams. Although I barely have the jist of everything, it's fun having all these equations run through my head. :p

Dark Lord
Reaction score
I am a casual player. Never got into the competitive battles since it mostly uninteresting to me.

Reaction score
I'm mostly a casual player, but I'd say I'm also kind of competitive because, although I don't IV or EV train and just use the Pokemon I like, I try to level them up and make them as tough as possible. You don't have to IV or EV train in order to be a competitive battler, or at least that's my opinion. You just have to train hard and bring out your Pokemon's strength. I don't know how to IV or EV train anyway, so there's that too xD

More fab than Sylveon.
Reaction score
Casual, but I like having beneficial natures and EV training just a little. My Pokemon would never survive in the competitive world anyway. XD

The Ninja Trickster
Reaction score
Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

I am a casual player. I seriously don't care if my Chim Chim is not fit for competitive battles because I play for fun! I also love Serperior, Samurott and some other "Never Used" Pokémon with a passion. When I tried playing competitive, I got so annoyed that my some of my favourites "sucked". I'd much rather use favourites for fun and enjoyment than use Pokémon I don't really like so I can be the "best".

Reaction score
I'm more of a casual player, because of the whole EV and IV thing. In my opinion, they are an unneccessary addition that normal players possibly don't know about, and, even then, I don't want to waste my time trying to make a Pokemon "perfect" because I might make a mistake or something. Finally, it makes the competitive scene not fun for me, as I constantly lost to those who did said training. Wrap things up, if EV's and IV's didn't exist, I'd probably be a competitive player.

Reaction score
i play for fun COMPETITIVELY, you can still play for fun even if you're playing competitively i always use whatever i actually want to use but they're always ev trained and all that

Axew fan
Reaction score
I find that doing ev training and reducing the game to simple math takes away the fun and the magic... which makes me a casual player. I like to rely on instinct to raise my Pokemon... if I use any help, it can't be based on numbers.

Waffles.
Reaction score
Casual. I tried playing competitively, but I ran into so many problems, I gave up.

- Reducing the game of Pokémon to code and numbers made it less fun for me, and less of a game.
- Worrying about EVs, IVs, and breeding to get it right was stressful, boring, and a load of work.
- Most of my favorite Pokémon aren't the most powerful in the game. A level 100 Pichu still isn't going to win a competitive battle.
- Most Pokémon with the best stats are Legendaries. They are hard to come by, and people want to trade them for stuff I want to keep. I want all my Legendaries and event Pokémon, and will only trade a shiny for something better.
- I can't think of a good strategy. I know that most if not all strategies have a weakness, and if I try to go with a bunch of all-around Pokémon, that'll be hard too, because of the reason stated above: hard to get.
- I feel that the strongest Pokémon are overused to an extreme, and they're not all my favorites. I'd rather use a Pokémon I like.
- Most powerful non-legendaries are Dragons, and I'm not fond of their weakness to Ice, especially Dragonite and Garchomp.
- A lot of powerful Pokémon aren't visually appealing. I don't like Dragonite as much as Dragonair, and Aggron is in no way cute.

Deputy Head Admin
Reaction score
I am pretty casual. To be honest I kinda dislike the whole competitive thing. I just want to play the game and use the Pokemon I really want, not just what wins a battle. I have tried competitive though and do try sometimes to pay attention to Natures. I've also EV trained Pokemon just because. I have the Effort Ribbon on Scyther in Soul Silver and would like to EV train my Shiny Lugia and maybe give it some new moves just because, I figure it would be the best it can be. I do also occasionally play on Battle Simulators and make practice teams.

dig

wonder how much I can type in here before I get cu
Reaction score
Competitive. I like to make the best team I can for the battle tower. I don't do online battles very often though, I prefer just playing on my DS.

Rawr! I iz da Kwaken!
Reaction score
I'm somewhere in between. I never do online play because I don't stand a chance. I know how to grind EVs and breed IVs, but never have. I've played in only the 2010 National Championships tournament-wise and lost in the third round, yet I'm the best in my area, and in battles against my friends, my Dragonite is kickass.

Touch not thy cat without a glove.
Reaction score
Right now I'm a casual player, but I'm trying to become more of a competitive battler. I'm currently EV Training some Eeveelutions in my Black 2 game.

IM BACK!!!!
Reaction score
Back then I used to be competitive(diamond), I consider myself both now. I never do online anymore.

Reaction score
Casual. My only goal is to beat the gyms + Elite 4. :) And it takes me many months to do so, usually, because I only play the game for a little bit here and there rather than racing through it.

Resident Channeler
Reaction score
I started off as a casual player but soon became competitive. After learning that I have a ways to go I've put myself on Hiatus to EV train and hone my skills.

Reaction score
I'm a casual collector. A lot of my time playing the game is to collect the rarest pokemon possible. My biggest regret is that I missed the last Keldeo event because I wasn't paying attention.

I'm an Ugly Flower.
Reaction score
I'm trying to become competitive, but honestly I can't help but be casual! \(>m<)/ I always use the pokemon that I like the most depending on the region. I'll do the Random matchups quite often, but I lose 1/5 of the time. Making a great record here. ;)

Anyways, I won't give up! Somehow I will make my team competitive and cute at the same time (noob srry)!