• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Casual,definitely. I tried to look up EV training, promptly realised 'Oh my God,that is a lot of maths' and never went near the subject again. Besides,Pokemon is about having fun to me.

Casual, people on online battles scares me >.>

Sometimes I try to EV train my party, but then I remember pokémon is just about having fun and all, so I just give up.

Casual. In my over 10 years of playing, never been to the competitive scene. Never been to any formal tournaments or spent days being crazy over WiFi battles.
Me and my friends occasionally do battling but it's more for the thrill and excitement.
The first and only time I done EVs was in my black2. It went easier after they sell those training services in the Join Avenue. Since Gen III, the only things I am crazy a little are the nature and gender.

Casual, the thing I like about Pokémon is collecting all the Pokémon and it's not that easy.

Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

I think I lean more towards the competitive play (even though I'm not every good at it), but I still love to go through a game of Pokemon Black or Platinum.

Casual. I hate competitiveness. What I enjoy about Pokémon is doing multiple runs, challenge the Battle Frontier, monotype runs, and stuff like that. I hate the amount of math and pointless effort one must dedicate into the Pokémon metagame. I also don't like how people treat Pokémon like simple objects in the competitive scene, even though they are nothing more than data. Yeah, I know it sounds stupid.

I understand Ev's & have never really looked up IV's. I would love to play competitively but the effort involved seems like too much with my limited time.

What is the online battling system like? Do you get ranked & played against people of a similar rank or is it random?

What I absolutely love about the new features in X and Y is that it minimizes the gap between casual and competitive Pokemon gamers. The introduction of Amie and Super Training allows casual players to have a chance in the competitive field. It really upsets me that Pokemon are imprisoned into tiers with the same best tier Pokemon being used over and over again just because they "win"; it is better for everyone to be able to utilize their favourites to their best, regardless of tier. It's funny how so many competitive players are complaining that with the introduction of Amie; casuals now have a good shot at winning if their Pokemon have a good friendship with their trainer, with higher chances of critical hits and healing from Paralysis etc. What this really means is that competitive players now have to actually care for their Pokemon in order for them to be at their greatest potential, and saying that it has become unfair because of this is, is something that Game Freak wants their competitive players to reflect upon themselves and understand. If you just want to win with the best Pokemon, then maybe Pokemon X and Y isn't the game for you.

Anyway I'm competitive with a casual heart. My OU team consists of my favourites from every tier and I still can win. c:

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom