• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

I guess I'm a bit of both to be honest. When I played as a little kid, and even up until a few months ago, I only played the games using my starter pokemon along with one or two other Pokemon, and would just run through the stories multiple times. But after some Wi-Fi battles, and several knockouts from teams of Kyurem and Terrakion, I'm becoming determined to EV train some Pokemon to make a few teams. Although I barely have the jist of everything, it's fun having all these equations run through my head. :p

I'm mostly a casual player, but I'd say I'm also kind of competitive because, although I don't IV or EV train and just use the Pokemon I like, I try to level them up and make them as tough as possible. You don't have to IV or EV train in order to be a competitive battler, or at least that's my opinion. You just have to train hard and bring out your Pokemon's strength. I don't know how to IV or EV train anyway, so there's that too xD

Casual, but I like having beneficial natures and EV training just a little. My Pokemon would never survive in the competitive world anyway. XD

Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

I am a casual player. I seriously don't care if my Chim Chim is not fit for competitive battles because I play for fun! I also love Serperior, Samurott and some other "Never Used" Pokémon with a passion. When I tried playing competitive, I got so annoyed that my some of my favourites "sucked". I'd much rather use favourites for fun and enjoyment than use Pokémon I don't really like so I can be the "best".

I'm more of a casual player, because of the whole EV and IV thing. In my opinion, they are an unneccessary addition that normal players possibly don't know about, and, even then, I don't want to waste my time trying to make a Pokemon "perfect" because I might make a mistake or something. Finally, it makes the competitive scene not fun for me, as I constantly lost to those who did said training. Wrap things up, if EV's and IV's didn't exist, I'd probably be a competitive player.

i play for fun COMPETITIVELY, you can still play for fun even if you're playing competitively i always use whatever i actually want to use but they're always ev trained and all that

I find that doing ev training and reducing the game to simple math takes away the fun and the magic... which makes me a casual player. I like to rely on instinct to raise my Pokemon... if I use any help, it can't be based on numbers.

Casual. I tried playing competitively, but I ran into so many problems, I gave up.

- Reducing the game of Pokémon to code and numbers made it less fun for me, and less of a game.
- Worrying about EVs, IVs, and breeding to get it right was stressful, boring, and a load of work.
- Most of my favorite Pokémon aren't the most powerful in the game. A level 100 Pichu still isn't going to win a competitive battle.
- Most Pokémon with the best stats are Legendaries. They are hard to come by, and people want to trade them for stuff I want to keep. I want all my Legendaries and event Pokémon, and will only trade a shiny for something better.
- I can't think of a good strategy. I know that most if not all strategies have a weakness, and if I try to go with a bunch of all-around Pokémon, that'll be hard too, because of the reason stated above: hard to get.
- I feel that the strongest Pokémon are overused to an extreme, and they're not all my favorites. I'd rather use a Pokémon I like.
- Most powerful non-legendaries are Dragons, and I'm not fond of their weakness to Ice, especially Dragonite and Garchomp.
- A lot of powerful Pokémon aren't visually appealing. I don't like Dragonite as much as Dragonair, and Aggron is in no way cute.

I am pretty casual. To be honest I kinda dislike the whole competitive thing. I just want to play the game and use the Pokemon I really want, not just what wins a battle. I have tried competitive though and do try sometimes to pay attention to Natures. I've also EV trained Pokemon just because. I have the Effort Ribbon on Scyther in Soul Silver and would like to EV train my Shiny Lugia and maybe give it some new moves just because, I figure it would be the best it can be. I do also occasionally play on Battle Simulators and make practice teams.

Competitive. I like to make the best team I can for the battle tower. I don't do online battles very often though, I prefer just playing on my DS.

I'm somewhere in between. I never do online play because I don't stand a chance. I know how to grind EVs and breed IVs, but never have. I've played in only the 2010 National Championships tournament-wise and lost in the third round, yet I'm the best in my area, and in battles against my friends, my Dragonite is kickass.

Right now I'm a casual player, but I'm trying to become more of a competitive battler. I'm currently EV Training some Eeveelutions in my Black 2 game.

Back then I used to be competitive(diamond), I consider myself both now. I never do online anymore.

Casual. My only goal is to beat the gyms + Elite 4. :) And it takes me many months to do so, usually, because I only play the game for a little bit here and there rather than racing through it.

I started off as a casual player but soon became competitive. After learning that I have a ways to go I've put myself on Hiatus to EV train and hone my skills.

I'm a casual collector. A lot of my time playing the game is to collect the rarest pokemon possible. My biggest regret is that I missed the last Keldeo event because I wasn't paying attention.

I'm trying to become competitive, but honestly I can't help but be casual! \(>m<)/ I always use the pokemon that I like the most depending on the region. I'll do the Random matchups quite often, but I lose 1/5 of the time. Making a great record here. ;)

Anyways, I won't give up! Somehow I will make my team competitive and cute at the same time (noob srry)!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom