• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a fan or critic?

Who are you

• Total voters
Reaction score
Some like anime in general and watch all the shows. Some writes harsh reviews and drop shows
So what re you are you fan or are you critic?

For me, I can't drop any shows but I don't 10/10 every shows either. So I'm maybe slightly fanboyish?

I'm usually pretty lenient on a lot of anime/manga I've watched/read, it's not too often I give a series something below a 5, even to series that's considered bad or mediocre; though I have given some more popular series below 5 or just consider it mediocre mainly cause I never got the hype around it or it just didn't give me the same enjoyment (Mob Psycho, OPM, Cowboy Bebop, and PMMM being some examples). I've actually never written a review for a series, partially cause I've felt no need to go into deep detail on why I gave a series a certain score and partially due to laziness; my ratings are simple and I have my own reasons for why I liked or disliked a series just like everyone of course, but that doesn't mean I'm going to write it out for everyone. The most I do is give recommendations based on people's tastes, if they ask for one.

As for dropping a anime/manga, I've done that, mainly cause I just couldn't get too into it or something about it just really annoys me. I even have series I wished I dropped sooner instead of sticking through it thinking it might turn around for me (Clannad + After Story and Vampire Holmes for another example; and for the latter I thought it would have a so bad it's good to it, it doesn't imo).

I guess I lean more towards slightly fangirlish. There are a lot of other series I want to get to, and I'm sure most are going to be rated high or somewhere in the middle, but I'm not opposed to dropping it or giving it a low score if it comes to it.

I've thought about this a lot lately, but I think I fall more on the fan side. Whenever I graded an anime it used to be more of a combination of enjoyment I got out of it and me trying to look objectively at what a series or film did well and not so well. That's still the case to a degree, but in some cases I ended up feeling unhappy about certain grades and feeling they did not accurately reflect how I really felt on a series or a film. So lately my grades have just been more a reflection of enjoyment, with a bit of objective criticism sprinkled in here and there. 10s are still fairly rare for me though, and I only hand them out when I think they're truly deserved.

I don't think I could ever be a serious critic anyway. I love writing and it's something I aspire to find a career in, but I don't really like writing reviews (unless it's for something I really, really love and I'm really passionate about). I watch anime (and regular films and series for that matter) to be entertained and inspired, and I've often found that when I start to overanalyze and nitpick something, a lot of that inherent enjoyment fades away for me. I've given a number of detailed recommendations to friends though, and I find that much more rewarding than writing an overly analytical review that not a whole lot of people will likely read anyway.

Definitely a critic, and I set the bar quite high for series I invest my time in. It may be getting to the point now where the number shows I've started and dropped is at parity with those I've finished; early deal-breakers are pacing issues, unlikable or unoriginal casts, hackneyed use of tropes and faux mystique/incomprehensible plots. The corollary is that I have a very strong idea as to why I like the series that I stick with, and at that point I'm just as much a fan as anyone else.

I don't score things, because I'm acutely conscious of how idiosyncratic my preferences are. My more typical yardstick is whether or not I'd recommend a particular series, and even then, I tailor it according to the recommend-ee. For example, my favourite series is probably Mirai Nikki, but it has a bloodthirsty, madcap joie de vivre that isn't everyone's cup of tea. FMA: Brotherhood is a much easier recommendation to make for just about everyone, though it has protagonist issues that niggle me.

I'm very selective about which anime I watch and usually if I don't get hooked during the first episode of a series I just drop said series and don't look back. That's how it was with YGO Sevens; I just wasn't gonna waste my time on an inferior anime. But usually when I do finish an anime I'm loyal to it even years later.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom