• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a hardcore Pokemon fan?

Groudon

User Title
Reaction score
I take Pokemon quite seriously because there is few other franchises I enjoy I and devote most of my time to Pokemon and I also battle competitively. So yes, I am a hardcore Pokemon fan.

Edit: I consider a Hardcore Pokemon fan someone who has been around from the beginning, someone who battles competitively, or someone who considers Pokemon as their favorite series and devotes the most time to it. Either of the 3.

Last edited:
I play Pokemon moderately serious. I do strategies to some extent when it comes to moves and Pokemon types, but that's as far as I'd go with tactics. As for Pokemon, I'd just catch the Pokemon I like, not really for their stats, but I will admit, sometimes I have captured a Pokemon for my team because of how good it's stats are.

I play it quite seriously. However, I don't think too mch about competitive battling

I consider myself a hardcore fan, since I've been around it pretty much all my life. Too lazy for competitive, though I'm good at metagame in general. I collected Pokédolls at one point. If it is related to Pokémon, chances are I'll be all over it.

I've been a fan since I first got into it in 1998 or so (Generation I).

However, I play recreationally and competitive battling isn't something I'm interested in.

Depends on what you think makes a 'hardcore fan', which I think is hard to define. If you mean someone who's been there since Gen 1, seen every generation start, and who's pretty much been there, done that, then no. I wasn't there; I'm fairly new to Pokémon, especially when you don't consider the time I played LeafGreen as actual experience because I was really young. But if your definition is someone who loves the games genuinely and plays competitively (or at least tries), and is interested in knowing the ins and outs of the underlying mechanics of the game, then yes. Yes I am.

Last edited:
I play Pokémon a lot (always in-game) and I spend a lot of time on Pokémon forums or looking for Pokémon pictures around the internet.
Also, most of the tracks recorded on my last.fm are musics from Pokémon games.

...So yeah, I guess I am a hardcore fan.

I don't think I am since I don't give two flying pigs about competitive battling and don't care what nature I get when I breed Pokemon and stuff.

Although I am a hardcore Lugia fan with an entire folder dedicated to pictures of this guy. And my music folder is generally empty except for that "Lugia's Song-The Legend Comes to Life" in there and a bunch of midis of it.

I devote alot of time to Pokemon and I have to admit is IS my favorite franchise so yeah I guess I am. I'm not too all into competitive battles, but I have almost all the games and play them almost everyday of the week, been a fan since 1998 , watch the anime weekly and collect merch. I'm constantly talking about Pokemon online and offline through the 6 forums I go, Facebook and with friends/family. So I personally call myself a hardcore fan but some may not, it depends on their definition of hardcore.

If you were to ask me about 15 years ago, I'd say yes. But I stopped somewhere in Gen 3, but then got back to it in Gen 4 but not with the same enthusiasm as I used to. I'm on the verge of dropping it again.

I wouldn't say I was. Since I'm still relatively young, I wasn't there to witness the beginning of the Pokemon era, or the first games, which apparently you had to have played to be a "hardcore" fan. Sure, I'm still collecting games now, and I have been since the release of Ruby, but I don't pay much attention to the competitive aspects of the game, nor the technical parts like EV training, breeding etc.

But then again, I do spend a lot of time playing Pokemon, I own a lot of Pokemon merch, I talk about and research Pokemon a lot, so I guess I might just be a casual fan. But hardcore? No, I wouldn't say I am.

Yes, since Pokémon is my favorite franchise, and I have a mental database of Pokémon info. On my 3DS, my highest played title is PMD Explorers of Darkness, and I've invested 90 hours into Emerald.

I don't battle competitively as I'm not a very competitive person.

I have, however, been around since the beginning. I also collect Pokemon stuff and play all the games I can get my paws on.

I generally take part in most areas that Pokemon has pushed itself into.

I suppose that would make me a hardcore fan.

I don't battle competitively, but I do care about the Natures of my team members and whether or not they have good IVs for breeding purposes. I play a little bit each day and I've clocked in 890 hours on my copy of Black so yeah, I'd say I'm a hardcore fan.

I find your criteria for a hardcore player to be quite subjective.

I guess that I would be considered a hardcore fan. I do fit most of the standards you've mentioned. I wasn't a fan from the start, as I don't think I started to like the anime until around 1999 or 2000, and I'm not into competitive battling, although I care about Natures and I try to EV train mainly just for fun, but I have nearly all of the handheld games, I watch the anime, I collect most of the various manga titles, especially Adventures, and other merchandise. I talk about the franchise through a couple of other sites and Pokemon is my favorite franchise, so I would be seen as a hardcore Pokemon fan.

I would say that i am a hardcore fan as i have been playing for such a long tiime, watch the anime so much (though someho missed chunk of johto and AG eps) to the point that i am making a list of every episode that i have and every movie that i have ON VHS! with an aim of copying them onto a series of DVDs in correct as Japan broadcast order so i can fill the gaps in by donloading or other means

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom