• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a hardcore Pokemon fan?

I have been around since Gen I. Some of my fondest childhood memories were of huddling beneath the lamp next to the couch so I had decent lighting on my Gameboy. I also have an extensive Pokemon collection that includes 35 plushies, 5 shirts and a hat.

I'm definitely a hardcore fan, but I don't do competitive. Been playing for around 14 years.

Not really, no.

I don't play much Pokemon, and thus far have only finished Platinum out of the core games, even then, that was a while back.

I'm trying to get more involved in them, as I feel I'm missing out lol, that's one of the reasons I joined this site, but even then, I highly doubt I'd do competitive battling, or TCG or anything more "beyond". Just gonna enjoy the ride, nice and easy x3

I'd say I am. I became a Pokemon fan when I was 5, in 1999. I saw the episode Challenge of the Samurai and became a loyal Pokemaniac since that day.

- I love the Original Series of the anime, which contains Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto. I also watched the entire AG (Hoenn) and DP (Sinnoh) sagas, but barely enjoyed them and haven't seen much from the sagas after that anymore. I still rewatch older episodes though, am a shipper and write fanfiction about mostly Ash and Misty.

- I write fanfiction. Mostly oneshots, but also a 42-chaptered PokeShipping fic and some other ones with mostly 5-10 chapers.

- I draw fanart a lot.

- I play the games, all generations. I used to play competitively for a while, but can't stand the harsh culture there. I still EV train and IV breed though, even for in-game teams.

- I don't actively collect anymore, but have quite a lot of TCG cards. Mostly older ones (Kanto and Johto generations), but also used to collect newer ones.

- I have almost 70 Pokemon plushies, including some very expensive and rare ones.

- I think about Pokemon every day, and do at leaast something involving it. Whether it's watching an episode, playing a game, drawing, talking or thinking about it, or just looking at my plushie collection...

- I cosplayed three times (Ivysaur, Altaria, Bayleef).

- I met my best friend through Pokemon, she means everything to me.

I think it's hard to not call me a major PokeManiac when you take these things into account. :p

I love Pokémon, it's one of my favourite things on the world, but I'm not sure if I'm considered a hardcore fan. I mean, I don't do competitive battling, I haven't seen massive amounts of the anime, and I haven't played all the main games yet.
I do, however, draw lots of fanart, get very involved in the fandom, have 4 Pokemon T-shirts, and have over 120+ plushies. Still not sure if that makes me a 'hardcore' fan though.

I used to be a hardcore fan, then turned into more of a casual, but then am gradually migrating back into hardcore.

I was really young when even RS came out, so I didn't get into anything but the cards until Diamond came out. After that, I've gotten one game from each duo, and devoted at the very least 100 hours into each. I usually play it for a long time, collecting Pokemon and defeating the elite four, but I've never been too serious about competitive battles. I'd gladly hire people out to breed me new Pokemon, but OR had a better system of getting perfect Pokemon in my opinion (or at least training better...).

Nowadays I haven't played too many games, but I enjoy writing fanfiction for it, and I look forward to playing Ultra Moon when it comes out. I've also become more involved in the TCG, due to its simplicity and affordability, so I'm in there. There's too many great games out there for me to grind for shiny Pokemon for hours on end, and even then, I don't have the patience for that.

I started in Gen I, then fell out for several years until I got into Pokémon Mystery Dungeon which carried me back just in time for Gen IV, so I really don't relate to my age group at all. I swoon more for DP than RBY even though I'm in my twenties. I've played competitively on and off during most of Gen V through Smogon but I didn't begin taking it seriously until Gen VI, when I brought that mindset to the actual games and started concentrating on EVs and even IVs. My proudest moment was when I hatched my first 6IV Pokémon, a Timid Gastly.

Sun and Moon's story lost it my support so I've skipped them, which basically means I've been on vacation from the "cutting edge" competitive side of Pokémon for about eleven months now. It's actually really refreshing to tune out, take some time off, and not absorb myself in the latest Pokémon crazes after all the battling I did last generation. I feel like I got too hardcore back then.

I consider myself one, but within reason. I don't go nuts on buying merchandise other than maybe something here or there - although I do still collect TCG cards and used to collect plushies until woof, that price tag... but I do buy every version of every main series game religiously on Day 1, and there is really only one other fictional work that occupies as much of my constantly active brainspace as Pokémon (they take turns; when one is on break the other fills in). I don't play much in terms of spin-offs, but that's mostly because the core series eats up so much of my time. I do own all of the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games, even if I haven't gotten around to playing some of them yet. And, I have worked over the last two years to create a Living Form Dex, which aside from the Kalos (though not as of later today!), Alola, and Reboot Cap Pikachu, Carrotwolf, and any other storable forms coming in USUM, is currently complete, which I assume is something that non-hardcore fans don't typically do.

The anime and competitive battling are pretty boring though, so I largely ignore those.

Last edited:
I dunno if I would call myself hardcore?

I mean I do spend hours drawing Pokémon, but I draw a lot in general. Pokémon is just somethjng I find really fun to draw.

If you gave me a Pokémon, I'd be able to tell the typing, and maybe ability and stats as well. I play competitively, and I have played most of the core games. I don't even remember when I started liking it, Pokémon has just always been there.

So I guess I wouldn't call it "hardcore" per se, but it is a big part of my life in many ways.

Yes. I used to be ashamed when I was younger (especially because my dad would put both it down and me for liking it), but going to college changed that. I now embrace it fully. And I got my younger brother into it too >:D

I mean, I'm on a frigging Pokemon forum, so I'm a pretty hardcore fan. I only really play the main series and Pokkén, though.

I've always loved Pokemon since Gen I came out when I was a kid, but my interest actually kind of waned during Gen IV to the point I skipped HGSS when they were released. Then BW was released and I loved Pokemon again. Hell, I probably love it more now than I did as a kid.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom