• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you expecting another Ash vs Alain?

Keshav

Reaction score
So are you guys expecting another Ash vs Alain?
Well I have some theories about it.
The first one being the rigged league theories:-
1.Sunny day theory: In the battle they focused on the sun and it seemed to be bright. It is possible that some team flare grunt used sunny day.
2.Mega evolution energy: We all know that Alain was collecting mega energy for Lysandre and probably that helped him in the battle. Charizard consumed the energy from the ultimate shuriken and that is why he was still able to survive it. Now some will say that Greninja isn't a mega but do you guys remember the first time Alain saw Ash? His mega energy detector or whatever it was indicated that mega energy was coming from the battle between Ash and Sawyer. This means it is indeed a type of mega evolution.

Now the second theory:-
No, there will be no rematch in XY&Z because:-
1.An ANIMATOR tweeted that Ash should have won. Doesn't that feel weird? Animators already know what is going to happen and they already have animated the episodes long before. So, why was he disappointed if there was going to be another match against Alain?
2.Or They probably are keeping it as a long rivalry just like they did with Gary. Ash might be able to defeat him Alola or any other region.
3.Or They would just dump that rivalry without letting ash win even once.

What are your thoughts about it? Discuss it here!

maybe make them meet in future, we had many rivals that Ash could rebattle in future.

A couple of things.

1. Sunny Day just seems like a huge stretch, seeing as you could say that about every other battle that took place beneath a bright sun that we didn't see Sunny Day being used.

2. Ash-Greninja was stated to not be a Mega Evolution and Alain's thing wasn't reacting to Greninja's thing. The device was just being used to deliver Mega Evolution Energy to Lysandre I think and Alain's Mega Ring never reacted to Ash-Greninja.

And after the Team Flare arc, sometime near the end of the series, I think it's possible that maybe Ash and Alain can battle again with either Ash winning or the battle being a draw.

I don't think the rematch will happen. I think we won't see Alain again after Team Flare Arc and I doubt they will battle during this arc. I think Alain will finally join Ash in near future.

And one more thing... I doubt that Alain cheated during finals or got help from Malva or someone else. The problem is that writers just decided that Alain would be the winner so that:
1) Ash will lose again
2) Ash will be the hero against villians.

The same thing we see in each region.

Bond Phenomenon is entirely distinct from Mega Evolution. That mega energy detector was most likely reacting to Sawyer's Sceptile, a Pokémon species with a Mega Evolution.

Another Ash vs Alain is inevitable by this point in my opinion. The story convention goes that Ash-Greninja has to overcome its arch-rival Mega Charizard X at the very end, and Charizard is in need of an epic defeat.

Plus, after what Ash went through thanks to Alain's inaction (namely being crucified and tortured by Team Flare's device), Alain would feel that he owes Ash a debt and apology. A big debt and apology. He knows what Ash's dreams are. He knows what Ash enjoys the most.

At this point, I pretty much doubt that there will be a rematch. Simply put, they would have little point to battle again, and regardless of the result I would be less than pleased:

Ash wins - Alain may be knocked off of his pedestal, but this would just be an irritating "Ash didn't win at the League just because, even if he could have done so!" situation;
Alain wins - It would do nothing more than cement Alain's status as an utterly broken character, so no.

Even if there would be just a tie, it wouldn't be a satisfying ending to me, mainly because Alain would still be "undefeated".

So, I would be against a rematch, even if a part of me wants to see Alain losing on-screen so badly… may Harrison 2.0 be the one to do so, if it must happen. And then have Ash beat Harrison 2.0 in the future.

I sorta suspect that Lysandre will be doing the pedestal knocking for us anyway. That Shiny Mega Gyarados doesn't look like a lightweight.

At this point, I pretty much doubt that there will be a rematch. Simply put, they would have little point to battle again, and regardless of the result I would be less than pleased:

Ash wins - Alain may be knocked off of his pedestal, but this would just be an irritating "Ash didn't win at the League just because, even if he could have done so!" situation;
Alain wins - It would do nothing more than cement Alain's status as an utterly broken character, so no.

Even if there would be just a tie, it wouldn't be a satisfying ending to me, mainly because Alain would still be "undefeated".

So, I would be against a rematch, even if a part of me wants to see Alain losing on-screen so badly… may Harrison 2.0 be the one to do so, if it must happen. And then have Ash beat Harrison 2.0 in the future.

I could think of one that the anime constantly emphasized throughout the series. Alain rediscovering and this time embracing the feeling of battling for fun, instead of ignoring it for the sake of winning.

If there's any rematch, it's merely going to be Ash-Greninja vs Mega Charizard X. It won't be a full battle by any stretch. Which means we're forced to question the relevance of the whole thing. And the thing is, if Greninja comes back and beats Charizard without having Pikachu laying in hits prior, then we know for SURE that the writers screwed the whole thing in the official final.

What really bugs me though is that ultimately, this whole Flare arc even with only the first part aired, is clearly accomplishing two very specific goals: make Ash save the world as the writers' compensation for him losing the League AND give Alain a redemption story so that the fanbase won't hate the character for the rest of time (spoiler: the majority of us will). You can already see the conflicting emotions in Alain's face and when Sycamore gets Mamon to the tower to prove that Lysandre's just a bad manipulative man, you know Alain's resolve to the Flare cause will crumble.

So then, what's WORSE, is that we see Alain save Ash from his predicament and then we see him and Ash team up, because they've gutted Ash's normal human reaction to things like this (please see the end of the Finals match for reference). So Alain still comes off as the hero and is then probably invalidated by Zygarde/Mega Gyarados (or both) so that Ash is left to clean up the pieces which makes him the hero in the writers' eyes.

That scenario is the most unpalatable thing to me. It leaves Alain as the strongest character in the show and it's also taken away any bad qualities he had, which is wholly unacceptable to me.

Will it really matter? I don't think so. We had the big encounter at the League, they blew it and Alain won it.....it doesn't make a huge difference at this point and time.

If the series end with me still feeling cheated then I'm seriously going to skip SM.

It would be bad writing and very anticlimactic if Ash-Greninja never gets to take down Ash's toughest challenge. Typical story flow of this anime dictates that Ash would eventually defeat Alain, after losing a few times, though he should have beaten him in the league. I'm hoping we'll get one more chance. Countimg the Team Flare arc, there's just about 10 episodes left.

The first theory is reaching, and excusing Ash's loss. There is not a scrap of substantial evidence to suggest that any of that happened.

As for whether or not I expect an Ash vs Alain battle? I dunno if it will take the shape of a battle or not, but I do think there will be a clash of ideas between Ash and Alain, arguing about what's right. In this, I expect Ash to win.

I'm almost positive that we'll get a rematch either during or more likely after the Team Flare storyline. Another full battle would be a bit of a stretch, but a one-on-one battle with Ash-Greninja vs Mega Charizard X seems pretty inevitable with how that has been the main focus of the Ash and Alain rivalry from the start. It may not make up for fans who are disappointed that Ash lost in the Kalos League, but I would want to see Ash beat that broken overpowered Mega Charizard X of his. It would feel pretty disappointing and anticlimactic if Ash never defeats Alain and I don't think that seeing Alain lose to another character like Lysandre would have the same satisfying impact. If anyone beats that overpowered Gary Stu, I'd prefer for it to be Ash.

There would be enough time to have a rematch after Team Flare is done before dealing with the group's separation and Ash heading to Alola. It could tie in with Alain's character arc through this storyline like he'd want to battle Ash not as a member of Team Flare, but as a fellow trainer. That could work out nicely in my opinion.

Let's all remember also that Greninja is the focus coming up after the Team Flare arc ends, according to the broadcast data.
That can also be the conclusion to his story. His secrets might be revealed or its a goodbye.

Fortunately, that's pretty much guaranteed to happen too. I doubt that he'll carry over to Sun/Moon. Ash's rivals usually just stick around for just one series anyway. Gary is kind of an exception here, even though he isn't technically a rival anymore and he's a Pokemon researcher now, but other than that, I doubt that we'll see or hear from Alain after XY wraps up.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom