• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you looking forward to a more Ash oriented saga?

はりそん

Formerly koolhk^_^
Reaction score
As was expected, it would seem the "Best Wishes" saga will be more about Ash instead of Ash and Iris like how D/P was Ash and Dawn.
Are you looking forward to Ash getting the more attention this saga?

Personally I don't mind, Iris seems like a fun character who i'm sure may possibly play a massive role in the Team Plasma storyline and Dento appears to be a fun character too.

Do we know for sure that it's going to be Ash-focused though? Just because Iris' agenda isn't with contests doesn't mean she's not going to be nearly as important as Ash. We don't actually know what the deal with her or Dent is, actually.

Do we know for sure that it's going to be Ash-focused though? Just because Iris' agenda isn't with contests doesn't mean she's not going to be nearly as important as Ash. We don't actually know what the deal with her or Dent is, actually.

The reason for believing so is the opening. Unlike DP which mentioned Satoshi's and Hikari's journey, BW only mentions Satoshi's.

Personally I'm going to wait to see what happens before I decide for myself.

Are you looking forward to a more Ash oriented saga?
Yes, I am. I'm so tired of Dawn. :XD:
It would be even better without Ash's overexcitement that results in forgetting about Pokemon-catching basics.

Yes, I am. I'm so tired of Dawn. :XD:
It would be even better without Ash's overexcitement that results in forgetting about Pokemon-catching basics.

I agree. Ash needs to stop acting like a noob. But still, will we have another situation like the one where Brock and especially Misty do nothing? Will Dento and Iris be the same way?

I agree. Ash needs to stop acting like a noob. But still, will we have another situation like the one where Brock and especially Misty do nothing? Will Dento and Iris be the same way?
I don't really care. It's not like Misty and Brock's sidekick status made them less likable for me.

Design and personality-wise Dent and Iris seem OK for me. With goals or without them, they look like fine companions before the start of a next League challenge.
However, while I like Misty a little better, I think May was the most balanced companion, having her own goal, a likable personality and a pretty design while not "stealing" too much screentime. No offence to Dawn.

I'm so pleased! :) He's the only protagonist with a goal I've ever cared about. I think Kasumi and Takeshi's popularity show that a character doesn't need to have a quest to be enjoyed. I'm glad we no longer need to care about any other stories!

Yes I am glad, as it puts more of a spotlight on Ash rather than the female travelling companion. I like the league.

At this point i dont mind that Ash will again be main fous of series.

Judging by BW saga being introduced as shorter than usual having faster pacing that shouldnt be surprising,would it?Which means less screentime not being possible to largely develop Iris and Dento like they did in DP with Dawn.

Also even if Iris did had smaller role than May or Dawn that doesnt matter as long her storyline is well written.In order for character to get good development quantity is less important than quality,and Iris could have kind of goal which woud involve her having to do somekind of tasks being divided into small arcs dealing with problems.Perhaps somethning connected with dragons or her storyline being consisted of trying to take over gym.
At this point its hard to tell.

As for Dento,im not sure yet but i have seen people saying how he could do musicals.
All in all both seem like good characters,though i rather wish we had someone older back to develop more.

Back in the day when Kanto started noone complained about Misty and Brocks amount of screentime,and while Ash was central character they were still doing things having importance contributing to several parts of storyline.,

But still, will we have another situation like the one where Brock and especially Misty do nothing?

Contraty to your belief they did things having several achievements being more important to Ash growth as trainer than other characters were setting pokemon anime to become popular and Misty actually did more than Brock has receiving more focus back than with her contribution not having any less of value than oher characters had.

As saying goes:"Good deeds are not measured in numbers."

Although I'm not totally heartbroken or anything, I'm going to miss seeing the diversity that Pokemon Contests brought to Pokemon battling. Although a female companion isn't needed for Contests it probably won't happen since Iris is another Misty-type girl.

I won't mind an Ash- involved saga if it has lots of character development that we will get to see from all of his rivals. We've already seen Shooti although he seems like Paul in many ways.

A saga with Ash seems ok but I'm gonna miss the new things that contests brought. I also hope that Ash brings all of his techniques to Isshu along with him like countershield and spinning to dodge (two main ones at the top of my head)

It's probably blind hope at this point, but I sincerely hope either Iris or Dent do something more than simply follow Ash around.

Contests may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they added lots of diversity to the show and cut down most of the filler that plagued Johto. I also liked how DP essentially made Dawn a co-star instead of simply a travel buddy. I don't see why the show should focus so much on Ash, especially since he's going to be on-board forever so a little more spotlight on the Coordinators is fine to me.

If there is no second sub-quest though, then hopefully Plasma and Rocket play a larger role than we expect. There's no reason to waste 2 perfectly good villain groups if they have no co-star to focus on this time.

No, but I've been expecting it for a while. And I have no hope for a permanent main girl now, so... yeah.

The reason for believing so is the opening. Unlike DP which mentioned Satoshi's and Hikari's journey, BW only mentions Satoshi's.

Personally I'm going to wait to see what happens before I decide for myself.

Plus, I don't really know what they've done to suggest that Iris would be like a co-star equal to (or very close to being equal to) Ash except put her up with Ash on this page. And that's... just one thing.

Having her first official "debut" with her as a silhouette with Dent was another sign possibly suggesting she wouldn't be a co-star. Although the opening confirms it, like you said. The Best Wishes! promos I've seen haven't made her seem to be a co-star either.

I personally hope she won't be a co-star...

I mean, I always thought it was ridiculous how they had Dawn take so much spotlight away from Ash. I could understand if they only had like, a minor sidequest around this, which didn't take up so many episodes. But the contest saga with Dawn, how it was were written into the show seemed way different than how they handled contests in Hoenn (or maybe that's just me).

Ash is the main character, and I'm glad to see that the anime is going back to its roots.

It's also nice to see that the classic Ash we know from Kanto is back (personality wise, I mean). Season one was hilarious, and the Best Wishes series looks like it's gonna be similar to season one. =)

Last edited:
I am actually looking forward to this. DP was too long and drawn out, so it is nice to see a shorter, faster series that is focuses on Ash. What made Kanto so awesome in my opinion was its speed and lack of filler episodes, and I expect this to happen in this series as well...

Dawn took spotlight *away* from Ash?? I couldn't disagree more. Ash didn't lose any spotlight during DP, in fact his character arc was probably the strongest we've seen since the early days of the show, certainly better than it was in AG, when he didn't even have a rival to compete with until the very end. If anything, all of Dawn's spotlight in the show (and May's spotlight in AG) simply served to reduce the amount of filler in the series. Without their quests, those episodes would have probably just been devoted to random characters of the day and stuff, like Johto.

To answer the question, no, if this saga is going to end up with Ash having the only real quest, then I am not really looking forward to that at all. I'm one of those who believed Contests revitalized the series during AG, and I don't want to see a return to the days when Ash's quest had to carry the whole saga, while his companions just stood around in the background. If Dento and/or Iris don't get roles that are somewhat signifigant to the plot I will be very dissapointed. I'm still kind of hoping that either Iris or Dento will be involved with whatever the anime equivalent of Pokemon Musicals is.

That would be good. No need to watch contests means more time to train his Pokémon and thus having higher chance to win the league.

We've been watching Ash for over 13 years so it was refreshing to watch a new character in action for once during DP. I hope that Dento decides that the reason he wants to leave his gym is because he wants to become a Musician or whatever they will call people who participate in Musicals. Or that Iris discovers Musicals and becomes interested like how May discovered Contests.

I think they're probably trying to make Iris a bit more mysterious and unknown. Also since she's a gym leader (I'd imagine she'll be the gym leader in the anime...or at least involved in some way) it's not like they have that "beginning her pokemon journey" story to rely on.

There will probably be more focus on her as we get further into the series....they probably want to keep her a bit unknown for a while.

Ash is the main character,

That could've easily been changed to have other co-stars (or my preference, just one permanent girl co-star). The success of the show doesn't depend on having other co-stars, but they don't have to keep the tradition of just having Ash.

It's also nice to see that the classic Ash we know from Kanto is back (personality wise, I mean). Season one was hilarious, and the Best Wishes series looks like it's gonna be similar to season one. =)

Team Rocket being series was also in Kanto (at the very beginning, I mean).

Rhyperior said:
That would be good. No need to watch contests means more time to train his Pokémon and thus having higher chance to win the league.

If Ash cared about the time he "lost" watching contests he would've continued training during the contests (or at least the appeals) like he did in at least some of the Hoenn contests.

I think the idea that Ash lost training time because he was watching contests is ridiculous. If the contest arc hadn;t existed, those episodes would likely have either been A) filler episodes where Ash doesn;t do any training anyway, or B) the arc would have just been shorter overall. And all the characters probably do a lot of training offscreen anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom