• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you OK with using Legendaries and/or Ubers in in-game teams?

Well it makes the game easier...reality is the game is already easy (except the Battle Tower and Subway but you can't use the majority of the legendaries in there) so it doesn't really affect anything. All you are beating are NPCs

I use Ubers on my in-game teams.

Legendaries -- I don't use them on my teams until after I beat the elite four. After that I don't really care.

I try to use as many Pokemon in-game as I can. Right now I'm training my Zekuromu, but it is one of the Pokemon I like. I also like Pachirisu, and people think it strange I battle with such a weak Pokemon. (I used both Darkurai, my favorite Pokemon, and Pachirisu in the same team though).

If I battle with other people, we often come to an agreement how powerful Pokemon we can use. For instance, we may decide that we can only use one legendary Pokemon each. There is nothing wrong in having a powerful Pokemon if your opponent also has one. Pokemon have different levels of strength. The online battles should be set in different levels also. I thought it already was (I don't do online battling so I don't know).

Nah, it feels cheap to me. I don't mind when people use them against me though, makes me feel even better when I beat them >:)

I don't see how it's cheap. D: Just because they're slightly stronger than regular Pokemon? They certainly aren't invincible. I love to use Legendaries on my team, simply 'cause I like them.

I have a Mewtwo just for shit and giggles. It's mostly because I like Mewtwo though, the fact that he's insanely powerful is a nice addition. But then again, I have never used it in-game except for having some fun after the E4.

Other than that, I don't use legendaries much, certainly not in-game. I have no problem with using Garchomp, in game he's about as destructive as any fully evolved pseudo/dragon, and I have no problem with using other like it. There are a few exceptions, notably Zapdos and Uxie. I only use the former in FireRed if I feel like it, and I have only used Uxie once, but I have no real quarrel with using it, seeing it isn't the most powerful pokémon in existence.

I'm fine with it, and I usually end up having at least 2 legendaries on my team. I think if you can get good Pokemon, then you should use them!

I'm fine with it, however I don't often do it. I remember in one Sapphire playthrough, I got a Jirachi from Pokemon Channel and used that for a little bit of the game. I always wanted to use Mewtwo in an in-game team but you never get it at a low level, and I prefer to get Pokemon at a low level. Same with Mew though, it's hard to get a Mew in general.

I can't see why not, even if I personally don't use them. In-game isn't supposed to be all that serious anyways so I have no problem with someone that'd want to use them.

I can and have, depending on the Uber and the Legendary. I've used Palkia, Metagross and Blaziken numerous times in my teams; they've been a help. Besides, seeing as how the AI can and will cheat--underleveled Hydreigon, anyone?--it's my way of giving the CPU the middle finger.

Though stupidly enough, it's not the Ubers that save me in the long run. It's usually some NU Pokemon that pulls my skidplate out of the wringer. I owe a lot of my wins to Beedrill and Golurk. The Ubers ended up as back-ups.

I loved using Reshiram in Black.

You usually want to use a team you've raised yourself for the league and mostly everything in the game, it feels more personal...

... But, for the in-game story climax? I think having the legendary side up to you and be readily available there was a great decision. Imagine if, in Emerald, you actually had to beat down Kyogre and Groudon with a "lent" L70 Rayquaza at that moment.

And because you already used it once... you get kinda more reluctant to just stuffing it in the box forever.

I'm okay with it, but I've felt it takes out a lot of the challenge. I have used Articuno for the Elite Four, though that was a long time ago in Blue version.

I've usually left Legendary Pokemon in the box in the past. The fun for me was mostly in catching, the thrill-seeking, seeing if the next Pokeball you throw will work.

But I'm not against using Legendaries in the future. Pokemon weren't meant to be trapped in a box, and I think it would be fun to train a Legendary again. I've restarted a lot of games and just feel I need to beat the Elite Four in those games before I can train Legendaries. The same will apply for any Uber Pokemon I might get.

I remember now that before, I trained legendary Pokemon more than any other Pokemon. This was because I'm lazy when it comes to getting Pokemon, so I ended up getting the ones encountered in events. I also restarted my game to get more items and TMs, ending up getting the same Pokemon again. For some reason I neither restart my Soul Silver nor train many legendary Pokemon, and in White I train the Pokemon I got from the Dream World game, so I don't train as many legendary Pokemon as I've done before.

I'm perfectly fine with it. I read about half this thread, and I think people are saying that they are like, totally unbeatable, which is so not true. As for me, I usually end of with one Legendary Pokemon on my team, which is the Mascot Legendary of that game.

To be honest, people should battle with the Pokemon that they truely love, no matter how strong or weak it is.

I have no problem with using non-Legendary Ubers but I don't usually like using Legendaries. The only Legendaries I would ever think of using are Legendaries that you get as part of the main storyline, eg Ho-oh in G/HG or Reshiram in Black.

I worked way too hard to get my Mew to keep it cooped up in some damn PC Box! The strenght of in-game legendaries is always level-relevant anyway. Like a lot of people have said..there's a massive difference between Adventure and Competitive.
No problem with legendaries at all.

If it makes a tedious game easier, I'm all for it. I recently replayed Sapphire (starting with Treecko, much as I like it, was a bad idea) and had decided early on to use Kyogre as my main Water-type, due to its high Sp Atk and good coverage with Hydro Pump. Meanwhile, Ludicolo worked well up until I got Giga Drain, when it was quickly relegated as my main (and only) Grass-type.

It's your game, use whatever the heck you want, whether your favorite is Pikachu or Excadrill or Arceus. It might not guarantee you any wins unless you play smart, but nobody can force you to change your team when it comes to in-game battling. Heck, if you're battling your close friends, you could come to an agreement with them on whether or not legendaries and whatever are allowed.

You know, there's a lot of debate on /vp/ between battling in tiers vs. using your favorites. I'd love to go back to competitive battling, but it's kind of difficult when a lot of the Pokemon I like (e.g. Typhlosion and Umbreon) are weaker or in the "lower tiers." (Also, my Wifi is broken, so...)

I think it is fine to use them in game. Most of the time I use the said game's legend until I have beaten the Elite 4 and can get the rest of my team up in the levels. But I almost always have a Uber on my team. 5 dragons and a Gengar=awesomeness

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom