• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Are you planning on getting the game?

Are you currently planning on buying Brilliant Diamond and/or Shining Pearl?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Yes, but probably some time after the release

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters
It will depend on the next trailers, I suppose. Having said that, the difference will be as little as "I'm going to buy a second-hand BD sometimes/if I see a cheap one" and "I'm going to look for a second-hand BD soon".

The graphics don't appeal to me at all. Sure, the update we saw in the OLED trailer looked nice, but it didn't convince me at all to buy it new. Moreover, I've recently revisit Platinum for a Nuzlocke, so there's no reason for me to rush anything.

No, you really don't. They're PR statements meant to be as vague and broadly appealing as possible while revealing nothing until they feel it's the right time. Just because they didn't say there's new Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't.

Who said anything about SwSh compatibility? I don't think that will happen, I think it'll be compatible with Home and SwSh and BDSP can't trade and battle directly. You would probably have to use Home to transfer Pokemon from one to the other.

Again you didn't answer my question about where 493 Pokemon came from, there has been no confirmation of that whatsoever from what I can tell. I'm not even convinced we'll get all 493 of the original Pokemon. I think it'll be Platinum's 210 + the remaining 4th gen legendaries + a selection of other Pokemon that they think fit the region.

That would be ideal, but they could squeeze them in post game. They can still be made native to Sinnoh without putting them in the main game.

Anyway back to the topic, as far as people wondering "How much has changed?' in their decision, this is roughly what I would expect (obviously continue to wait and see but this is about where I would set your expectations):

Likely:
Platinum's Sinnoh Dex + Sylveon + remaining 4th gen legendaries- Porygon-Z was shown in the reveal trailer, so they'll certainly be in the game in some form, and showing it this early makes it likely that it'll be in the main game. Additionally, if you look at past remakes, they've tended to actually expand the regional dexes with cross-gen evos, so expanding it with Pokemon in the third version isn't that much of a stretch. And if they revert to DP's regional dex, they'll just revive complaints about the Sinnoh Dex's lack of variety for no real reason, and they don't want to create needless controversy given the state of this fanbase. All in all, there's just too much going in favor of Platinum's additions being in.

Home compatibility- Home is meant for storing and transferring Pokemon to and from your games, if BDSP isn't compatible, it defeats the purpose.

Some kind of new Pokemon- Literally every game since SM has had some kind of new Pokemon. Even if it's just an event Pokemon or something, there will almost certainly be some Pokemon introduced in this game that is completely new and never before seen.

Unsure (leaning towards not happening due to the lengthy news drought):
The Battle Zone- This really should be a given, but never underestimate the depths this series can fall to. They really haven't cared too much about the post game recently and could consider the Battle Zone largely expendable (there would be the matter of Heatran, but they could move it to a different place or create a drastically reduced area for it where the Battle Zone was.

Minor story additions- Things like new characters, additional character development and more detailed motivation that we typically see in remakes would typically be expected here, but if it's a "faithful remake" they may not even mess with the storyline this much.

Post game Pokemon- Likewise, given that the post game isn't as prioritized some of the 1st-4th gen Pokemon in the post game could get the axe if they need to cut something due to time constraints. DPPt included all non-starter, non-legendary Pokemon that existed at the time, but I could see them scaling back a bit. It's also unclear whether or not any 5th-8th gen Pokemon would be included, so it's probably best to assume this will be a LGPE situation where they have nothing but the regional dex Pokemon.

Sinnohan variants- Regional variants seem to be here to stay, and I firmly expect that they'll show up in BDSP or LA, so it wouldn't be terribly surprising to have some in this game, but it would also mess with nostalgia if they put them in the main game, so it's questionable if this will be the game for Sinnohan variants

Other new forms- Again, this has typically been a given in remakes lately, but the reveal of the box arts showing regular old Dialga and Palkia puts this into serious question. It doesn't look like Dialga and Palkia have anything new, but there could be other Pokemon that do.

Unlikely:
The Battle Frontier- Masuda has directly stated with ORAS that they didn't think casuals would play the Battle Frontier, and they've doubled down on focusing on casuals since that infamous PR statement. I don't think they've reversed course on this one.

Direct compatibility with SwSh- Game Freak has indicated that Dexit is the new normal, and there will be some Pokemon that can't be transferred to BDSP at all. As such, they probably won't allow BDSP players to trade and battle with SwSh. You could probably transfer any Pokemon that exist in both between them using Home as a middleman, but I wouldn't expect direct compatibility with SwSh.

New Pokemon in the main game- Again, with these being "faithful remakes" they most likely won't add random Pokemon to the main game to mess with the nostalgia. If you want this, look towards LA, as that is the game that is more likely to shake things up to fill its open world with tons of Pokemon. In fact, likewise with the Platinum Dex in BDSP, we already have early indication of new Pokemon in LA's Sinnoh Dex with Spheal appearing in the trailer.

While Spheal line wasn't in the dex, it could be obtained in Sinnoh. So i feel like Spheal doesn't count towards a new Pokemon in Sinnoh (The dex or otherwise).

While Spheal line wasn't in the dex, it could be obtained in Sinnoh. So i feel like Spheal doesn't count towards a new Pokemon in Sinnoh (The dex or otherwise).

Again, I specified new Pokemon in the main game. Even a post game Pokemon such as Spheal appearing in the main game regional dex in a remake before. All of the 2nd gen lines in FRLG (no 3rd gen lines were in FRLG, you had to trade them from other 3rd gen games) were post game National Dex Pokemon. All of the 3rd and 4th gen lines in HGSS were post game National Dex Pokemon. All of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon not already in the original Hoenn Dex were in the National Dex (obtained after Cave of Origin instead of post game). Similarly, any 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th gen lines not already in DPPt's Sinnoh Dex will most likely not appear until before the post game. Even moving it from the post game to the main game seems to be, in Game Freak's eyes, a major change that will tamper with the nostalgia, moving them to the main game has drastic ramifications as far as the options for team building for both the player and opposing NPCs in the main game. Between the marketing of this being a "faithful remake" and LA seemingly satisfying the desire for that, it's not something to reasonably expect for this game.

This will easily be a day one buy for me. I pretty much get all Pokémon games at launch and I only played Diamond and Pearl once so it will feel quite new to me.

I also don’t mind the visuals/graphics of this game so I’m pretty excited to play this style game again.

Regarding if there's no new feature, delta-like episode, chibi-style I'm still consider buying BDSP, for nostalgia reasons, I grew up playing Diamond and Platinum (which platinum is a better version). Plus it's nice to try out the grand underground feature.

While the graphics look nicer and the Grand Underground looks cool, still not interested. The confirmation of no Battle Frontier honestly just made this worse. I honestly felt nothing while watching the latest trailer, when pokemon trailers used to be the ones that made me excited the most for future releases.

The 60 bucks price tag makes it an even harder sell. And i don't care if Nintendo is the one pricing the game, i'm not gonna take more mercy on your game because you are not the one pricing it. At the very best getting it second hand down the line and that is an huge if.

Last edited:
I just don't see why anyone would spend on $60 on these games when Platinum holds up and LA offers a modern Sinnoh experience (oh I'm sorry, Hisui). Following Pokemon and customization? In this chibi style?

Yeah, for the sake of nostalgia. But I would have liked better graphics and a confirmation that all Pokémon from Gen 1-8 were available. Platinum content, better customization (although I'm glad that it still exists even if it's watered down) and post game story like Delta episode would have been nice too. ORAS even had new megas and HGSS had Crystal content... The Arceus video made me want regional forms too.

The one thing I'm happy about is the following Pokémon. I didn't like it in the DLC because the Pokémon were too slow and out of frame most of the time (not to mention the awkward teleportation). Let's Go did a better job though so it's not revolutionary just kind of nice.

I do look forward to using a Manaphy though! Never had one before. Always wanted one when I was younger since I liked the anime movie with May/Haruka.

But I would have liked better graphics and a confirmation that all Pokémon from Gen 1-8 were available.

Is this even possible?

The one thing I'm happy about is the following Pokémon. I didn't like it in the DLC because the Pokémon were too slow and out of frame most of the time (not to mention the awkward teleportation). Let's Go did a better job though so it's not revolutionary just kind of nice.

I hundred percent agree.

I was leaning against it before and unfortunately the trailer hasn't done anything to change that; just nothing interesting enough to overcome the whole "Do I really wanna pay $70 for what I expect to be worse than Platinum?"

I just don't see why anyone would spend on $60 on these games when Platinum holds up
Replayed it fairly recently and still holds up quite well. People overblow to shit how slow the game is (Blissey's HP counter going down joke wasn't very funny to begin with. But to be fair, there was no excuse for the game not to be 60 FPS given that the Dragon Quest remakes at the time were 60 fps and actually had better graphics) and only the HMs overusage is an issue, but not a very big one at all. Really, the only actual slow games in Gen 4 are Diamond and Pearl.

Also reminds me of a time when GF didn't stuff their games with unskippable cutscenes and tutorials. The really low amount of handholding was a breath of fresh air given how recent games have handled that.

Replayed it fairly recently and still holds up quite well. People overblow to shit how slow the game is […] Really, the only actual slow games in Gen 4 are Diamond and Pearl.

Cleary there’s a subjective element here because I mean, I’ve tried going back. To Platinum and HGSS. But this just hasn’t proven to be the case in my experience. Yes, the games aren’t slow like the memes make them out to be, and obviously the Blissey example is a largely-irrelevant edge case. But I can put in Black Version and for me, it runs like lightning compared to any of then Gen 4 choices. Hell, even RSE feel pacier. The problem for me with Gen 4 isn’t so much that any one thing is egregiously slow, but so much of it is just a little too slow, and consequently, all of those small effects compound into something that just never feels worth the time and trouble compared to virtually any of the other games I could be playing or things I could be doing.

The idea of a game with the (really strong!) foundation of DP, but at a pace I can properly get into and with a variety of small-but-fun quality updates like clothes and Hideaways appeals to me quite a lot. For me it’s like seeing the game finally realize its potential. Frankly, but I’d love it if they could find some time to do the same for HGSS.

(And aside from myself, I’m willing to bet that a large amount of the people who will buy these games have never touched Platinum and never will, due to being born well after it, so “how well Platinum holds up” isn’t going to mean anything to them. To them, this is just “the next Pokémon game,” with its own unique offerings that are distinct from the features of SwSh and Arceus. I think those sorts of players could easily have reasons to be interested in both these games and Arceus, since they offer very different experiences.)

For me, it depends largely on this one factor that likely can't be proven without confirmation or games launch is this: even without the full roster of Pokémon, will we still have access to at least as many Pokémon as we did in Gen 4 if not more? Dexit instills a legitimate concern in me that we'll get less of a total roster in BDSP than we originally had in DPPt for the sake of cutting corners, which really wouldn't bode well for potential sales. Would you really pay for a remake that had less content than the original game that it was remaking unless you never experienced it before?

At the very least, that's how I feel. I will give credit where it is due though; ILCA put more than they needed to in these remakes, so I might be tempted to buy them depending on what other things get revealed for BDSP. It looks like Game Freak made the right call in outsourcing the remakes this time around!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom