• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you too strict with IVs when EV training?

Anser

Reaction score
I've seen people who release their Pokémon if they realize they don't have perfect IVs. Come on, that's almost impossible! I am only strict with the IVs of the stat I know I'm going to rely on mostly. For example, I just started training a Dragonite, its IVs are:

HP 6
Attack 29
Defense 29
Special Attack 24
Special Defense 4
Speed 15

Even when its HP and Special Defense suck, I'm very happy with its Defense and even more with its Attack because I'm going to have him as a physical attacker and paralyzer (it has Outrage, Earthquake, Brick Break and Thunder Wave).

So, are you strict when it comes to IVs when EV training? Do you ditch Pokémon who don't have almost perfect or totally perfect IVs?

No. If a Pokemon have a high IV in the stat you want to train, thats a bonus as it add more to that stat and makes it higher. However it also need s to have the proper nature as well. Nature+high IV+ EVs= better stats than a Pokemon that dosen't.

Exactly. My Dragonite is Adamant, its characteristic is Quick tempered, and it has 29 IVs in Attack. It reached 401 in Attack when the highest possible number in Attack for a Dragonite is 403. Almost perfect. But then again, there are some people that, even when they get the nature they need, they still release the Pokémon for not having good enough IVs.

That is up to the person, personally, Id be more than happy with an almost flawless IV like your Dragonite's and consider myself lucky to have that Pokemon in the first place, but I don't speak for everyone, and if they want a Pokemon with a perfect IV that's their call.

Yes. It is time consuming to EV train each Pokemon, why would I want to waste time on sub-par ones? Breeding for high IV Pokemon just takes patience, it's nowhere near impossible. If you want flawless Pokemon, you could always RNG abuse them anyway.

I'm more lenient really. The IV checker in the Battle Tower told me that most of my team is "Decent all round", but it doesn't bother me, I still manage to get good win streaks and stuff.

Not strict with the IV's. As long as my pokemon is EV trained well then, I don't care about the IV's that much.

a really, really, really casual gamer here....

but just superficially, I enjoy the diversity of the IV spread for a pokemon more than the nature, or really the ev spread I like to use. To me, that's about the only thing that makes each pokemon unique, and is the only thing I can really remember the pokemon by when it's said and done if I decide to start my game over (can tell I'm a verrrrry casual gamer). I'm not super picky about IV's to the point that I would get down about numbers, but I place more importance on that than the nature, just because IV spreads are more unique for a pokemon than natures, or an EV spread that's pretty common.

I don't release pokemon that don't have a desired IV spread. :eek: the worse case I had was with a Chimchar that I just couldn't breed to match what I wanted to do. Eventually, I get to the point that I either just choose the closest out of what I have stored up, or I say the pokemon gods are against me and try to find another pokemon that fit a similar role.

I gotten to be middle-of-the-road. I pay attention to the two or three IVs I really want, and if I really want a certain egg move or ability. Other than that, if it has decent other IVs and nature, meaning everything I'm not concentrating on isn't 0 and the nature doesn't detract from the stats I did breed for, I'm cool. Some people still think I'm too strict, I know, even though the other pokemon I hatch still have a role to play. If it has more than 3 max IVs, that role will be in breeding.

i used to be. i threw a blissey out that was

bold - 29/30/30/31/30/31 - natural cure

because of the defense stat. i ended up satisfied with a significantly worse one, ironically. now, i don't look at ivs even if i occasionally ev train my in-game team simply because there's no need. that, and the decorum of perfectionism would slowly begin to insinuate itself into the whole process of raising a team of pocket monsters.

I honestly don't really pay attention to IVs. As long as the Pokemon has the right nature, characteristic, and placed EVs for the needed stats accordingly, I'm good.

I dont even care about IVs if it is a rare/legendary/one and only/hard to catch pokemon.
1.I mean, well, u can SR for legends and one and only pokes, but im too lazy.
2. If you spent like two hours finding that rare and it has lousy EVs, why release it? Or if you spent half and hour chucking pokeballs at a pokemon. ( My darn BW2 eevee are like those. I chucked pokeballs from like, evening to night)

So why care about IVs? You can EV train it anyway and if there are no more EVs, just use wings.

Ah, yes. With legendaries, I don't even pay attention to its Nature, IVs or whatever because I never use them, and I never will. It's lame to battle using legendaries.

I never care about IV's. Breeding for moves and the right nature and EV-training is bothersome enough to be honest.

No. If all the important stats are over 15 I'm satisified, and sometimes I accept worse ones. This is sad considering I'm a VGC competitor. In all honesty, IVs don't really affect a stat enough to trouble over very long, unless you're worried about being outsped.

I feel bad about it, but I am a bit too strict about IV's. I usually try to get a new Pokemon of the same species and nature with better IV's if the original has it terrible. It's because of competitive battling.

I generally prefer having 3 perfect IVs (usually HP, Atk/Sp.Atk and Spd) and the rest above 20.

I had a hard time today because after hours, heck, DAYS of breeding, I FINALLY bred a Staryu with some good IVs and that has the ability Natural Cure. The thing is that its defenses are AWFUL, so I couldn't decide whether keeping it or not. Its IVs are:

HP 6
Attack 26
Defense 4
Special Attack 31
Special Defense 7
Speed 29

... It's a beast. It has Life Orb so it almost always kills anyone who faces it, and given how fast it is (plus, it has a Timid nature). The thing is, if someone gets to attack it, it almost always dies, because its defenses are very bad. In the end, I decided to keep it because after all it's a good Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom