• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Argentina re-lays claim to Falklands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every Breaking Wave

Religion is a club
Reaction score
From the BBC.

The government has firmly rejected the latest claim by Argentina to sovereignty over the Falkland Islands, MPs have been told.

In a written statement, junior Foreign Office minister Chris Bryant said the UK had "no doubt" that the Falklands belonged to the UK.

Argentina passed a law in December claiming to own the islands and several other British overseas territories.

The Conservatives gave their "full support" to the government's response.

Argentina and Britain went to war over the Falklands in 1982, and despite the former's surrender, the South American state has maintained claims to the islands ever since.

Rejected talks

Mr Bryant said the Foreign Office had delivered a "note verbale" to the Argentine charge d'affaires in London to outline UK rejection of the claim.

It insisted that the Falklands, along with South Georgia, the South Sandwich Islands and the British Antarctic Territory, all remained firmly under UK sovereignty.

Shadow foreign minister David Lidington added that the Conservatives would "condemn attempts by any foreign governments to assert otherwise".

In March 2009, Gordon Brown rejected calls from Argentina for talks over the future sovereignty of the Falklands.

He turned down the request for discussions at a meeting with the country's president, Christina Fernandez.

Argentina needs to give it a rest. We don't need this posturing, and we certainly don't need another Falklands war.

I have family down in Argentina. My mother's family is from Sicily, and some of her relatives went down to Argentina nearly a century ago. I wonder what they think of this event?

I don't really get the big deal. I think Britain should keep the Falkland Islands. Britain had them for a long time. But if Argentina got them, they wouldn't benefit any more than Britain would. There's only a few people on the Falkland Islands compared to Argentina's 40 million!

Also, congrats on this being the 1000th thread on the Soapbox!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom