• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Armored Pokemon?

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
There's a theory going around that Armor could be the next big gimmick for the series to be introduced in Gen 8. RuffledRowlet breaks in down in his latest video, so rather than rehash I'll just post the link here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2ARUrOYkc

So what do you guys think? Is it likely fake, or true? Would you welcome this being the gimmick feature of Gen 8?

I personally think there's a very good chance this could be real, as they have been teasing Mewtwo in armor a lot recently. It seems like something GameFreak would do, as a way to advertise both the Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution movie along with the new gimmick for Sword & Shield, and the final movie in the trilogy of past Gens has always tied in to the next Gen in some way, shape or form.

But I will say one thing - if this does turn out to be true, they'd better not just give it to old-school Pokémon like Charizard & Mewtwo that already have Megas anyway, or Pokémon that were already OP even without a Mega Evolution like Garchomp & Salamence. I'm hoping that if this is to be similar to Mega Evolution in which only a handful of Pokémon will get it, then GF will actually learn from their mistakes & give the Armor power ups to not only the final evolutions of the Gen 8 starters (and the Sinnoh starters, if Diamond & Pearl are remade on the Switch this Gen) but also some Pokémon from Gens 5-7 that could really use a buff of this nature, as well as others from Gens 2-4 that did not receive Megas but could have REALLY used them, like Flygon.

Last edited:
well the leaker got the details correct, so it's quite reliable. The mascots appear to be metal snake and wooden horse, according to the leaker, both materials constitute common armor for blades and shields.

I just hope it doesn't act like Mega Evolution, the fact that it is called Armored "Evolution" makes me worried that this is just a renamed Mega Evolution that just increases the defensive stats instead of various ones. A perfect scenario to me was already done by Pokemon Insurgence, an armored Pokemon being a permanent form change that needs a specific held item, this is balanced by the fact that a Pokemon needs to hold the armor in order to wear it.

Also, I would be curious as to what the restrictions on this feature will be if the rumor is true. Will it be a once per battle thing like Mega Evolutions & Z Moves? Will you be able to have one Mega Evolved Pokemon and one Armored Pokemon on a single team?

I think Game Freak should just stop adding temporary transformation mechanics and go back to doing permanent transformations like what was done in Gen 4 and Gen 5.

I agree. I don't mind if they keep Z-moves and ME going in the games, but there will come a point where supporting multiple mechanics in one game to cater to the fans will become unsustainable.

well the leaker got the details correct, so it's quite reliable. The mascots appear to be metal snake and wooden horse, according to the leaker, both materials constitute common armor for blades and shields.

I'm hoping that part's not true since I'm already too hyped for potential new wolves in that department. Sometimes they'll throw in some fake stuff to throw people off or he could have just been really lucky.

Going back to the topic at hand, I wouldn't be 100% against "armor" evolution considering they look pretty cool in the First and Lucario movies. It's not entirely without precedent either to have Mega forms that are conveniently not Megas. We got the Primals in ORAS, then Ash-Greninja and Ultra Necrozma in Gen 7. But IncineROAR's absolutely right in terms of oversaturation too.

The first thought that came into my head is condensing items since they can't transfer from gen-to-gen. Instead of all the -ites, we get a single hold item called the Mega Stone. Instead of all the -iums, we get the Z-Crystal, etc. But unfortunately there's another part of me that doesn't see Game Freak doing that :(

I don't know about Armored Evolution, but it does fit theme of Sword/Shield with Knights. Also In Mewtwo Strikes Back, Mewtwo did have a armor on it, maybe it make since.

Sounds plausible. If it's true then I hope (if some kind of temporary transformation) is a coat-of-arms given to only the box legends, the starters and the new monsters of Galar only (assuming their going to give us a limited number of new Pokemon again).

If more in the vein of Z-Moves then I guess all monsters will get that temp saint cloth in battle based on typing and affiliation to whatever the sword/shield guys bring to the table.

No thanks. They should rather focus on the gimmicks they already introduced than add yet another one that we have to focus on.

Make more Megas, not a fan, but people do seem to enjoy Megas.

Make more regional variants.

Give some Pokemon such as Basculin or Corsola evolutions.

Huh? Did I miss something? Bc all I see on the box cover are two Wolves. They are literally stylized heraldry Wolves that you'd see something like House Stark from Game of Thrones sport.

Not disputing "armor" bc I wouldn't be shocked if GF introduced a gimmick like that, just the validity of the leaker bc the mascots do not at all appear to be a Snake/Horse.

Huh? Did I miss something? Bc all I see on the box cover are two Wolves. They are literally stylized heraldry Wolves that you'd see something like House Stark from Game of Thrones sport.

Not disputing "armor" bc I wouldn't be shocked if GF introduced a gimmick like that, just the validity of the leaker bc the mascots do not at all appear to be a Snake/Horse.
there's a leak posted feb 21 who got the titles and region correctly

Attachments

• swordshield-post.jpg
    swordshield-post.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 99
I'd say Masuda should resign if there is yet another half-baked mechanic shoehorned into the game and previous ones dropped.

It shows he cannot think long term.

That's the post I was referring to. Guessing the region shouldn't mean anything really, bc nearly everyone well long before then said U.K. The titles are perhaps better, but even those a few people guessed correctly. (Still remember the amusing Sword & Scabbard one, where people said "Why no Shield?")

I'd say Masuda should resign if there is yet another half-baked mechanic shoehorned into the game and previous ones dropped.

It shows he cannot think long term.

I thought that he stepped down after LGPE? I do like the idea of Melmetal being used to forge armor, and I speculated that on these boards as a retcon for Mewtwo's armor. I just hope that if real, that it's a unique mechanic, and not just Mega-evolution under a sleek shiny new hood.

You know, if Galar truly is the region Kalos went to war with, maybe Armor evolution could be the counter to Mega Evolution.
There's no reason Galar would be restricted to no Mega Evolutions since they’re not man-made and can spread to other regions like Hoenn and Kanto.

The legends are two wolves tonight, according to the logos.

I'm saying no only because I just KNOW that they'll make Mew-Two and Charizard the poster child for it again and I'm so sick of them both.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom