• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

You could consider using different kinds of pencils. For example, I tend to use three different mechanical pencils of different widths for my drawings, and I use the thicker one for the general idea, before drawing a more accurate and polished version with the second thickest one. Lastly, I go with the thin pencil for the details, in order to help the picture emerge, so to speak.

The result usually is relatively clean and defined, which is helped by the fact that I tend to draw very cleanly to begin with. I hate drawing too many lines on the same page.

Regarding the inking, I only “ink” digitally now, but I don’t have any qualms in using the regular black ink, especially by using manga ink pens, which are a sort of hybrid between pens and brushes. Those allow you some freedom, since they work like regular pens, and can help you create more dynamic and clean figures at the same time.

Then, if you get the chance, I’d definitely recommend you to get Pigma Micron pens of various sizes and/or grab some Kuretake pens.

The Pigma pens are rigid and have a constant flux of ink, making the lines clean and of unvarying thickness. These are good for backgrounds and to draw shadows and action lines. Ideal if you are a beginner.

The Kuretake pens, instead, are regulated with the hand pressure, allowing you to create a more wavy line with varying thickness. These pens are used mainly to ink characters, since it can help bring out the characters much more effectively. However, the Kuretake pens are harder to use and it’s easier to mess up if you put too much or too little pressure, but with some practice the results can be really rewarding. :)

Additional advice: if you can get them, I suggest to get the Tombow erasers as well. These are really helpful when you need to erase little details or want to soften lines or shadows, as they are extremely accurate and don’t lose the “tip”.

I had fun putting this together! Thank you to the various 5 minute drawing game participants!~
Frontier Brains of Platinum / HeartGold / SoulSilver!
bftpthgss.png

Back
Top Bottom