• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

I think tomorrow I'll look up some YouTube tutorials to figure the whole drawing thing out lol :)
this is just a friendly piece of advice from me to you, so feel free to take this however you want... but please be careful not to get too hung up on what those tutorials might tell you!

Those kinds of videos can definitely be a great way to learn some of the fundamentals, observe others' processes, or discover techniques you otherwise might not have tried - but I've also found that some of the more popular ones on YouTube tend to frame themselves as the sole "right" or "correct" way to draw... which just isn't true, and can stifle creativity IMO.

To put it simply, art isn't all about following instructions! Allow your style to grow and evolve on its own through experimentation and practice, too. It can be a far more fun/encouraging/rewarding experience in the long run.

Definitely also self-taught here as well, did try to sign up for extra art classes in school but they were always "Full" and I never made the cut for them. And the basic art classes were very much about copying or emulating existing styles, and somehow that never really triggered my creativity very well...
So most of the stuff I learned was through trial and error online with a whole lot of obtained constructive criticism to expand upon as I went, starting with pixel-art, and eventually expanding to more digital drawing when I got my first pen tablet.

I did sometimes look at tutorials and videos of drawing processes, but mostly to take mental notes from the bits that seemed useful to me, picked whatever seemed like something I wanted to try out, and throw that in the mind-blender for my own art tricks and techniques if it stuck just right. Everyone has a different thing that works for them. But yeah, as Orchid said, do not feel like you must follow the rules of whatever tutorials say. Take what you think you benefit from and use that as you see fit.

As for things I absolutely dislike the most to draw... Hands. They sometimes just absolutely don't want to work with me... And no matter how many drawing tricks I've tried or seen, nothing so far has seemed to stick for me. :(

I’ll post it on my art thread tomorrow. I have nuthin’ to use as a camera right now.

Anyhow, I’ll go through Bulbapedia‘s recent changes and then continue binging Weird Comment by ExplodingTNT.

Definitely also self-taught here as well, did try to sign up for extra art classes in school but they were always "Full" and I never made the cut for them. And the basic art classes were very much about copying or emulating existing styles, and somehow that never really triggered my creativity very well...
Oh wow, that's surprising to hear. My art classes weren't like that, but they were a bit too focused on basics and contemporaries for me. I didn't feel like I was learning anything that assisted my growth-- so I feel you on classes not helping much. I am mostly self-taught, I began self-taught and have been pretty much until university where I did learn some actual skills that helped me, but I had pretty much been drawing on my own up to this point, so they were still just pretty much additives to the skillset I gained on my own.

As for things I absolutely dislike the most to draw... Hands. They sometimes just absolutely don't want to work with me... And no matter how many drawing tricks I've tried or seen, nothing so far has seemed to stick for me. :(
You are not alone!! Most everyone struggles with hands. I'm only decent at hands in certain poses and perspectives, but if they aren't in those poses I am acclimated to, I struggle deeply. My only advice is just have lots and lots of references. Have several open even, of the same hand pose at different angles, use pictures of your own hand if need be. That's the only way I really got to get difficult poses working myself.

I think what I'm worse at than hands...is feet. Feet at different perspectives is insanely hard.

Time for me to revive this thread, and I’ve already got something I wanna talk about!

I think it’s important in a portfolio to showcase different techniques and subjects— my best friend and I sometimes do morning drawing sessions together, where we screenshare our work while listening to music. Sometimes, we would even run daily art prompts where we provide a subject title and references for others to let their creativity flow and sketch something based off the subject provided.

Would something like that interest any of you? Art prompts to practice and challenge yourself and see what you come up with? I think it’d be pretty fun if I could get something similar going consistently here.

I'd be interested to give an art prompt a go, the previous art prompt threads have kind of struggled with participation in the past here though. We archived the staff run thread as the activity fell and it was mainly just the AG mods participating towards the end.

Previous prompt thread:
The Monthly Art Prompt Thread

A new thread could be good though, there's currently no prompt threads running at the moment so wouldn't clash with any existing threads if you would like to create one :)

We archived the staff run thread as the activity fell and it was mainly just the AG mods participating towards the end.
Aww I see, that’s a shame!! I think it still has a lot of potential.

A new thread could be good though, there's currently no prompt threads running at the moment so wouldn't clash with any existing threads if you would like to create one :)
Thank you for informing me! I think I’ll definitely look into it, I’ll start stockpiling topics and reference images and see if I can throw something together that will help everyone feel inspired and learn and improve together. It’ll help motivate me too, honestly! I don’t have an issue with being inspired to draw, but I definitely have trouble focusing on getting a single piece done…

Once this busy week coming up passes I’ll see what I can do!

I like the idea of having some prompts to use :) I generally have a hard time focusing on a project unless I have some kind of prompt to go off of, mostly because I have a goldfish attention span and too many ideas vie for attention. But when my friend recommended that I try Inktober to get back into the groove of writing after a hefty hiatus, having those prompts really helped me out.

I like the idea of having some prompts to use :) I generally have a hard time focusing on a project unless I have some kind of prompt to go off of, mostly because I have a goldfish attention span and too many ideas vie for attention. But when my friend recommended that I try Inktober to get back into the groove of writing after a hefty hiatus, having those prompts really helped me out.
I think we are definitely in the same boat... LOL... I have the opposite issue of art block-- too many ideas! So many that I can't finish drawing them all before I draw more! An art prompt thread will at least help me practice more fundamental techniques in my art, I think. I also want to try inktober one year-- or any october-long prompt for fun! If it can keep my focus long enough... LOL...

Thank you guys for your input! I have started my own little art prompt thread here. Please feel free to participate and have fun!

Fundamentals are the reason I tried out Inktober aside from the needed push. I had gone to school for art and gotten a degree, learned a good deal and had fun, but that was years ago and with my hiatus I basically forgot a majority of it because of my brains habit flushing anything I don't use on a daily basis :LOL:

The prompts helped me focus on the basics and get back into the swing of things, I got to re-learn what I liked and what I didn't, and what I needed to work on.

I also got to try out new techniques and tools, like alcohol markers and how to use them, which was fun and I want to try more but my poor poor budget :ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone :)

Was wondering if you would like to do something in the Art Gallery for Christmas, maybe something like the collaborative drawing we did here for Halloween in 2021 or a Secret Santa making themes (avatar and signature) for each other?
Could try something different from those though?

Back
Top Bottom