• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

Hmmm, what are your favorite character/s to draw?
I really like drawing Glitchy Red and Steven/Mike Stoughton (i just found out that was their canon last name okay)
Recently though I have been drawing a lot of BFB and TPOT characters and out of them Black Hole is my favorite ever i love him

I got an Intuos M for Christmas! :yay: Overall I'm liking it so far, it's much less clunky than my old tablet and I like the surface texture better. It's definitely taking a while to get used to, I still have to mess with the pressure settings and buttons and stuff, but I'm glad to finally have an upgrade c:

I got a tablet too! A Star 06 ^^ huge improvement as well, my old tablet had terrible connection issues and I prefer pens w/o batteries. Figured out the buttons quickly but the pressure is drastically different from the other one, so I'm still getting used to it.

I got an Intuos M for Christmas! :yay: Overall I'm liking it so far, it's much less clunky than my old tablet and I like the surface texture better. It's definitely taking a while to get used to, I still have to mess with the pressure settings and buttons and stuff, but I'm glad to finally have an upgrade c:
Oh yeah, another thing: if anyone's used one before, roughly how often do the nibs need replacing? I've noticed that they wear down a lot faster than what I'm used to - with my old Huion I've only needed to change the tips twice in 8 years, so I don't really have any reference for how long these new ones last.

Oh yeah, another thing: if anyone's used one before, roughly how often do the nibs need replacing? I've noticed that they wear down a lot faster than what I'm used to - with my old Huion I've only needed to change the tips twice in 8 years, so I don't really have any reference for how long these new ones last.
I'm not sure if recently manufactured nibs are less durable than they used to be, but in my experience a standard Intuos nib will last a pretty long time before you'll have to replace it. (A brand new one might sometimes seem like it's wearing down quickly, but I think that's just because the soft glossy tip on a new one is especially delicate.) Just estimating here, but you'd probably be able to get ~3 years of regular use out of a single nib, maybe more if you're easy on it?

I only ditch mine when the edges start to feel unpleasantly scratchy, or if it's become too short to comfortably use — and I've only gotten to that point a handful of times in my 10 years of Intuos usage, mostly before I learned to be gentle when sketching lol. I last got new nibs in early 2019 and they're still in decent shape, I haven't yet needed to replace one. (Also if you unscrew the eraser end of your pen, there's some extras in there!)

It'll vary depending on how you use yours, but that's roughly how long it takes for me to go through 'em, even despite being pretty heavy-handed when I draw. :chansey:

Apologies for the wait, everyone!

Wanted this to be out earlier but holidays and some other stuff kept cropping up, but proud to announce the Art Gallery's winter wrap-up event is finally here! It'd mean a lot if you guys check it out! If it goes well, I'll try to coordinate some other artsy events for our little community!

That being said, what's everyone's art plans for 2024? Mine is to finalize some concept arts I can put into my portfolio and start applying to game industry stuff again. It's likely I'll (hopefully) find a job with my 3D work, but I hope my 2D art can net me something honestly. I really need to get myself together this (upcoming) year. :chansey: I'd also love to open commissions again (off-site, of course) just to keep myself in a rhythm!

Wanted this to be out earlier but holidays and some other stuff kept cropping up, but proud to announce the Art Gallery's winter wrap-up event is finally here! It'd mean a lot if you guys check it out! If it goes well, I'll try to coordinate some other artsy events for our little community!
YEEEEES I've been waiting for this!!!

That being said, what's everyone's art plans for 2024?
Haven't set any in stone yet, myself. I'd like to keep my scope relatively small this year, 'cuz I've learned that being too ambitious with my art goals only makes me burn out and stop drawing altogether. I might try to revisit some old ideas and projects of mine that I abandoned in 2023, if I make sure to pace myself this time so I don't try to achieve more than I can realistically handle. Other than that, I just plan to take it easy, doing whatever seems fun and fulfilling (right now I'm thinking more 2D animation/comics/art shop reqs, as well as just drawing for myself more often in general).

Good luck on the portfolio building & job hunt! It's hard work but I believe in you; put that degree of yours to good use :fingergunz:

Haven't yet but I really want to draw something that isn't just sonic again lmao

Well first of all of course continuing on Wanted! as usual. Delving into the fith chapter, which honestly looks like its going to be big enough to take 2 years to complete, when i look at script size.. o_o;

Though it's not the first thing I drew this year. Over the span of uh... looks at clock a week I got ideas and have done another nuzlocke just for aesthetical reasons and before i knew it I had a set-up for an excessively edgy sidegig. I'm still contemplating on making it a literature nuzlocke work or a short comic. In any case I went too hard on the title card...

Title_banner_2.png

Last edited:
Has anyone ever felt like a drawing your working on wasn't that good but then you added colour to it and now you find that it looks appealing?

Because I just felt that, and it feels nice.
I've definitely felt this and the opposite case (more often) where I think my art looks much better in sketch form, and then I 'ruin it' upon rendering it... But! I do also have pieces that I didn't like the look of at first and then gradually felt more OK with as I rendered. Art is a never ending battle, truly.

I could see why you'd think that. I personally call it traditional myself, but there's nothing wrong with calling it physical.

Honestly, I cannot imagine calling it either in Czech... I always say "drawing on a paper" or "drawing on a computer". I go with 'traditional art' in English though, and I don't think I ever encountered 'physical' art... Also, a counterpart of physical art would be psychical art, right? I like that!!

Back
Top Bottom