• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

My sister made this for my birthday at the end of last year:
So great. Apparently she's making another one. Much excitement!!!

My sister made this for my birthday at the end of last year:
So great. Apparently she's making another one. Much excitement!!!
How cute! I love Pokemon plush things... can't stop collecting them. ><

The forums (and especially the art gallery) has also become more and more quiet as people prefer posting art on social media instead.
I find that kind of sad, honestly. I pretty much don't post on social media much, only using older websites like FurAffinity and Deviantart. And even on those, I get nothing, really. Oh sure, few favorites here and there on DA, but... I don't really get the sense that anyone actually cares about me or my work, you know? That's what I dislike about sites like that. I'm just a dime a dozen. My art gets drowned out constantly by professionals that I can't compete with. There's no community, and little motivation to keep posting other than me desiring to have a sort of online portfolio.

Don't get me wrong - I don't need many eyeballs on my work. I just want the feeling that a few people care. That's why I'm still here. This place is the only one remaining where I still get a feeling that somebody cares.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with this sentiment!!

Social media is just overwhelming to me. For the very reasons you've described. It all just seems pointless when you're constantly seeing others with more skills and/or things getting far more attention. If you're someone that's always comparing themselves to others/never feeling like your work is truly up to scratch, it can be a very depressing experience.

I love the setup here, and I urge anyone that considers posting their work in the Art Gallery... to simply do so! Because those that still frequent this section really do care.

Another random picture puzzle:

A city in Hoenn

Anyway, how is everyone doing, those who happen to read this?

I'm doing good too! Busy with work, but glad to have days off when I get them, haha.

I'm considering getting some poster board and cutting it down to size so I can make the background for my other fish tank that has a mermaid/pirate theme, but I'm not sure what exactly I want to do just yet and I don't want the poster board to just be sitting there until I figure it out. I don't really want to do just a sunken ship, but I feel like that's what it's gonna end up being.

I'm going through all my old notebooks from high school, and It's kind of sad to see how much less I've been drawing since then. My pictures actually looked kind of good, and it's really obvious how I've been losing practice over the past few years.

I guess I'm lacking both time and inspiration these days, and it sucks.

@Felly Let me know how the aquarium background works out, I'd love to see it! :D

@Tood My things from high school are predominantly filled with nonsensical (well, understandable to me) drawings, haha. I do think it's good to try to randomly draw stuff whenever you can. It definitely does suck when you have no time though. I often have a lot of time for things, but I'm that bad with procrastination, a lot never gets done. I have been thankful for the drawing games here, because they really motivate me to draw things immediately and not be a perfectionist.

I drew a lot in high school but never kept a sketchbook. I just drew everything on loose sheets of paper :p

A lot of the time I would draw manga - like, actual comics - of me and my friends in all sorts of situations, which partly explains why. For a while I was dead set on becoming a mangaka (manga author), and even planned to enter some competitions, but that's faded away because it's so time-consuming.

and also I'm not really into manga and stuff anymore.

anyway, i hate how i can't enjoy my own art. it looks sloppy and unfinished. whenever someone says "oh, that looks pretty good!" it makes me feel sad because they can enjoy the art but i can't. even if i try drawing something i have a reference of, it just turns out horrible.
I felt the same way, and I won't lie that I still do sometimes, but I have been trying my best to not judge my own art, and that is what I am going to advise you to do too. Never tell yourself that your work isn't good, or compare yourself to someone else. If you draw what you do with a passion, it should always bring you comfort to continue doing it. So, just keep on practicing and eventually you'll become better.
I feel your pain. It's one of the reasons why I'm currently taking a hiatus from drawing and animating altogether. I just got sick of seeing stuff on places like Pinterest telling me "You should draw like this! No! Draw it like that!".
I wanted to add to this stuff from the Venting Thread, but figured I'd put it here since it's not really a vent:

I definitely feel that it becomes much easier to find motivation to make things when you stop trying to be like someone else. While I'll always have some people I idolise, I'll continue to do what I know works for me. Sometimes it's not even about becoming 'better' - your own style develops the more you work on anything. This is what I've found to be true.

Keep making stuff!

What do people here think of official Pokemon art? Sugimori, the TCG, and Adventures/Special all have some really nice stuff in them!
Personally, I love Sugimori's art from Gen 2 and 3. It's digitally produced, smoother and cleaner than the watercolours of Gen I, but still has a lot of retro charm and personality.

What do people here think of official Pokemon art?
If I had to choose a fave... I think it'd be the Dream World/Global Link artwork.
I have no real preference though!
I think it's odd that they redid the artworks for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokémon for their respective remakes, but the Gen 3 Pokémon didn't get the same treatment! Not that I don't love the Ruby & Sapphire art. :love:

What do people here think of official Pokemon art? Sugimori, the TCG, and Adventures/Special all have some really nice stuff in them!
Personally, I love Sugimori's art from Gen 2 and 3. It's digitally produced, smoother and cleaner than the watercolours of Gen I, but still has a lot of retro charm and personality.

I think Pokemon Conquest has some amazing portraits for Pokemon, but I haven't found any art for them aside from sprites. I believe starters official art drawn, but not many others.

I've been using TCG art in my pfp since October started, so it's safe to say I am a fan. I like seeing the styles of different artists! My favorite cards are the ones that are connected to other cards. One set of art for Tepig (iirc) and its evos is one where you can see it grow up alongside its trainer. As the tepig evolves, its trainers get older too. It's cute. There's a few where the art for two different Pokemon both come from the same source, and you can tell by looking at the details and settings in the pictures. Those are also fun when you notice them. Unfortunately, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of this. Some really weird ones kind of appeal to me too, like pictures of clay models or stitched dolls as card art.

I'm pretty neutral on most of it. It isn't terrible but it isn't amazing either. I rather like the Dream World, TCG, and Adventures manga artwork, and I'm generally not a fan of the gen 1 artwork because it looks too cartoon-y in my opinion and the watercolor isn't the best in some cases. Like the jawline on Charizard and the trainers overall in the iamge below just look... not good.
tumblr_pylhlrHfpv1vw1ceco1_1280.jpg

Edit: I could see this unofficial Pokemon becoming a regional variant of Heracross.
tumblr_pddzb2oxrf1vw1ceco1_r1_1280.png

Last edited:
I'm generally not a fan of the gen 1 artwork because it looks too cartoon-y in my opinion

Same - I think it works well for the Pokemon, especially Pikachu and Clefairy, but not the human characters. That's why I like Gen 2 and 3 more.

I think Pokemon Conquest has some amazing portraits for Pokemon, but I haven't found any art for them aside from sprites.

Conquest has some amazing art! If I remember correctly, the sprites are actually super-downscaled versions of actual drawings made for the game, which means all Pokemon in the game have proper illustrations. No one has access to the original illustrations, though...

Sugimori's art of various trainers for the TCG constitute some of my favourite cards. Such as Erika, Misty, Gabby and Ty (I think?) and this unnamed trainer searching for Mew. Sugimori's art is quite vanilla, though. I don't have any specific TCG artists in mind, but I like the more artistic and painterly looking cards, such as this Vulpix.

@NMLewis
Gen 3 art is the peak of Pokemon!
I've never paid much attention to the Global Link art, though. :p

Back
Top Bottom