• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Style Analysis Thread

As long as the characters don't all look like toddlers or fetuses I'm pretty fine with the art style in that department.

Dont like the rounder eyes though. Put me off on Detective pikachu and same here. Pokemon eyes have always been ovals to me. though I also miss the early gen sharp and long eyes...

I know some people have been criticizing the art style, especially the player characters, so I thought this article might be relevant here:

https://mynintendonews.com/2022/06/...ector-leaves-game-freak-to-start-new-venture/

What might that mean for this game and/or the future? Who knows. I liked James Turner and I'm a little sad to see him go. I wonder who is replacing him and whether he had much involvement in SV or not.

If anything, it would probably effect Genius Sonority more if anything. So far Fuecoco looks like the only one designed by him this gen.

I hope this (and Matsuda getting moved to TPCi) was amicable and not because of the backlash.

Last edited:
Turner leaving explains a lot about the artstyle. Whoever the new art director is seems to have gone for a dramatic change in artstyle. For the most part, I'm okay with it, but I don't like the artstyle for the human characters at all. It feels like it's trying way too hard to be realistic with a lot more facial features and it just looks really dull and unappealing. Also the protagonist designs are in fact godawful. They're so androgynous and look practically identical aside from the female having a braid in her hair. That partially may have been intentional if the theories about the school system are correct, but they could've come up with better designs for that that don't make them look like they're only 1 chromosome apart from each other.

They're so androgynous and look practically identical aside from the female having a braid in her hair.
That's the best part of their designs for me. Hate being locked into starting with a miniskirt or a purse because i didn't pick the gender associated with pants and usable backpacks, and school uniforms should indeed either be unisex or offer the same choices to all genders.

they could've come up with better designs for that that don't make them look like they're only 1 chromosome apart from each other.
That's what they are, though. [You], girl variant and boy variant. There is a discussion to be had over whether that's a good direction to move in (more avatar-ish wich suggest we're not making much progress on the personality side of things, more reliant on customisation), but the designs are doing what they're intended to do very well.

I mean it shouldn't be TOO hard to have customization and personality. A couple options to reply to questions that give you points to a certain thing. Could even have a joke one where you always pick "..." like options and everyone is basically like 'you don't talk much huh'.

It shouldn't, and the recent games have been making progress in that direction (SuMo dialogue options my beloved, yes the games after that had them too but i don't remember as many lines that stood out), but they're not quite there yet and i'm not taking it for granted.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom