• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Style Analysis Thread

I don't like the school uniforms. Maybe they could have gone for something more formal? The protagonist seems to be rich judging by the look of their house. Maybe they could have made that a part of the plot somehow.

I'm not sure if I would call them rich, sure there house is on a cliff or whatever but it's also fairly small. Honestly seems just as big as the SWSH house but your bedroom is on the second floor instead of off to the right.
I do wonder if there is a reason they chose Spain for the seeming school theme or if they just had the idea separate of the country because as far as I can tell Spain doesn't have any particularly strong school connection unlike the UK and Sports with Galar.

I'm not sure if I would call them rich, sure there house is on a cliff or whatever but it's also fairly small. Honestly seems just as big as the SWSH house but your bedroom is on the second floor instead of off to the right.
I do wonder if there is a reason they chose Spain for the seeming school theme or if they just had the idea separate of the country because as far as I can tell Spain doesn't have any particularly strong school connection unlike the UK and Sports with Galar.
Children do have a strong connection to school, though. :p

Anyway, I hope customization is back. Can't see them suddenly dropping it after a few new entries, but still.

That would be hilarious in the worst way possible.

"Everyone loves trainer customization!"

"Cool cool cool now lets throw that out and force them to use the dweebiest designs yet."

"That's why you get paid the big bucks sir!"

Seriously I wanna take them kids lunch money and shove em in a locker. Oh dang I just realized we could have a school bully jerk rival. Yes. YES. YES RIVAL I LIVE TO CURB STOMP.

As a person who looked exactly like the male protag when i was younger (Minus the outfit), this hurts.

I like his design. Some people have no filters, unfortunately. :( I wouldn't take it too personally though, the people making those kinds of comments just don't realize that there are real humans out there that look like the characters they insult.

After looking at (western) school uniforms for a bit I have come to one conclusion, giving the uniform a jacket would go so far in making the designs look a lot better.
However I get why they didn't the game likely takes place around spring or summer which is when uniforms usually remove the jacket.

I have said this before on here but I'll share my thoughts on this thread.

The human models seem uncanny in some footage but fine in others - so I wonder if they may be tweaking them and some of the footage is from an earlier build. The Pokemon models look great though - I love the detail on Magneton and Seviper. Some of the environments in the trailer I think could use some work but did the job with making me curious and want to explore them when the game comes out.

I do wonder if the lack of different features in the male and female protagonists might mean that Nintendo is going to allow for more customization regardless of the gender selected. While thinking about it I don't think they'll make the leap that Animal Crossing did with just having it be "style" and gender not entirely mattering, I wonder if this might be a step towards that. I could see why that may be creating a rift since there are the camps of seeing the player as a self insert, pre-existing character, and custom made character.

The game could also do something like Shadows of Almia where the school portion is only in the beginning. I could see them starting with the more simple unfiorm designs and then going on break where the player would be able to choose the outfit that they want.

ScarletViolet vs. PokePark 2

FULEH_HXEAMxJ89

FULEE3uXEAEgeVT

Game Freak really out here doing the bare minimum.

Definitely not looking for hyper-realistic graphics, but I think the visuals look...not great at the moment. And this is from somebody who loved the SWSH graphics.

It doesn't look bad, just kinda weird

What? Are you expecting hyper-realistic graphics or something?
Trash 2012 graphics PS2 graphics, bud.

Design and art can look realistic or more fantastical or cartoony but still look good. Anime or cartoons with different styles still have good animations.

Trash 2012 graphics PS2 graphics, bud.

Design and art can look realistic or more fantastical or cartoony but still look good. Anime or cartoons with different styles still have good animations.
I do agree about the bolded part of your post.
There is quite a large gap between a spin-off Wii game and hyperrealism, and it’s not unreasonable to expect a 2022 Switch game from the largest media franchise on the planet to be somewhere in between. And not, y’know, worse.
The graphics in these games certainly are similar in style to gen 8. I think that the graphics have improved imensely between Gen 6 and now.
Like, take a look at this screenshot that I just found from gen 6:
1654168793315.png

I think the graphics and the character models have improved since then.

I do agree about the bolded part of your post.

The graphics in these games certainly are similar in style to gen 8. I think that the graphics have improved imensely between Gen 6 and now.
Like, take a look at this screenshot that I just found from gen 6:
View attachment 160442
I think the graphics and the character models have improved since then.
The character models sure, but the textures I'd say are still better in XY. Even if they are lower res, I prefer a variety of low res textures to a very few high res ones.

The problem I have with SV is that the characters look like they belong in Snap, while everything else looks like it belongs on a 3DS.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom