• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh As an English person...

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score
Nothing made me groan harder than seeing the football stadium.
I hate that that's the commonly perceived stick-out thing about our culture.
Maybe that's just because I'm bitter about how many of the players and fans can just be generally unpleasant to be around.

The enemy team will be all about class separation and gentrification.

Soccer culture just about anywhere is significantly more toxic than the rest of the sporting world, even boxing.
As someone who enjoys playing soccer, I find the behavior of the fandom and soccer stars disgraceful and disrespectful to the game.

We have to realize that Football (Soccer) is the most popular sport world wide. And the UK is its cradle, so I can understand why Game Freak are highlighting soccer over other sports.

That said, (and despite being a big soccer fan myself) I don't really want soccer, or any other sport for that matter, to have any relevance in a Pokémon game. I don't mind sports as a side activity (I love the Pokeathlon, and I would love more side activities like that), but not as a central concept of a Pokémon game.

As for soccer fans, they are pretty bad, I have to agree.

Last edited:
Look at it this way: if my country would have been the inspiration for a Pokemon Region, every house would be shaped like a windmill and all gyms would be Grass type.

Football isn't all tht bad as a cultural stick-out.

Soccer culture just about anywhere is significantly more toxic than the rest of the sporting world, even boxing.
As someone who enjoys playing soccer, I find the behavior of the fandom and soccer stars disgraceful and disrespectful to the game.
True. There was one time in my country that they decided to re-enact Donkey Kong. And there's the fact that the hooligans (is that what the toxic sports fans are called?) in my country are more or less like gangs, or I think so, since I have been hearing about hits against fans of other teams.

I don't think there's any person in the world who is perfectly happy with their country and how it's seen by the rest of the world. Try to see Galar as just another Pokemon region and you'll enjoy the game more.:D

I’ve no interest in Football but I will still cringe every time some annoying Youtuber says ‘soccer!’

There’s toxicity everywhere- the Pokemon fan base has some incredibly toxic people, but most people are fine. Football is a bigger community so there is more Toxicity but proportionally the same as anything else.

I’ve no interest in Football but I will still cringe every time some annoying Youtuber says ‘soccer!’

There’s toxicity everywhere- the Pokemon fan base has some incredibly toxic people, but most people are fine. Football is a bigger community so there is more Toxicity but proportionally the same as anything else.
I find the youtube community pretty toxic but I think the community here is usually ok. I feel like Bulbagarden is one of the last places on the internet that's actually run well and even if mods make a mistake you're able to discuss it with them or another mod to clear it up.

I find the youtube community pretty toxic but I think the community here is usually ok. I feel like Bulbagarden is one of the last places on the internet that's actually run well and even if mods make a mistake you're able to discuss it with them or another mod to clear it up.

Absolutely, when I refer to toxicity in Pokemon- I’m not talking about people on the forums (though I’m not hugely involved) but the PokeTubers are always winging about something and casting flame wars out on to Twitter that we are meant to pick a side on.

Something has been going on recently, which I don’t care to read up on.

I hate that that's the commonly perceived stick-out thing about our culture.
If it makes you feel better I have never associated the two. I've always associated the country with fog, tea, Sherlock Holmes, castles and royalty, and stuff like that. I associate football with Brazil so having football being a big part of this region was pretty weird to me. It's still weird to me. Why not cricket. Cricket has a round/oval playing field even. Slap a pokeball pattern on there.

If it makes you feel better I have never associated the two. I've always associated the country with fog, tea, Sherlock Holmes, castles and royalty, and stuff like that.

I've never got the fog thing, I'm from London and that maybe happens once a year

The top 5 and 9 of the top 10 best selling fiction writers of all time are British. I always imagined an England/Britain region would focus on Literature. Perhaps it still will.

Imagine a gym leader based on Charles Dickens, his signature Pokemon are ghost types- a three stage evolution line based on the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

Or a gym leader based on Shakespeare, who uses fairy types. One Fairy Pokemon could evolve when male into a Fairy/Flying type where as the Female becomes Fairy/Electric based on Oberon and Titania.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom