• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ASH AND ALOLA LEAGUE

I never quite understood this logic. Sure, the Orange Islands and the Orange League were made up for the anime, but it wasn't filler in the traditional sense. Important events still happened, such as Brock leaving and Charizard starting to listen to Ash, and those events were still referenced/carried over into future series. It's not like you can skip all of the Orange Islands arc and go right into Johto without missing anything. Not counting the Orange League victory simply because it doesn't exist in the games always seemed like such a weird reason to discount that victory. It wasn't a traditional League, but he still defeated the Orange League Champion and entered the Hall of Fame, so I think that should count for something regardless the Orange Islands being an anime only area.

Oh, that's an easy logic to understand if you subscribed to the "Ash is a loser, Red is better than him" meme that anime detractors are fond of using. It's a faulty rational to begin with you really break it down. The Indigo League, despite being "based" on the Gen I games, is unlikely the game-changing event that reveals who's the best Pokémon trainer is of the entire world. It didn't even bother to showcase the face of the champion, let alone their battle. Then compare that with Drake, who is not only the defending Champion of the Orange League but is so successful that he actually got bored of winning to the point he wishes to face a tougher opponent than the amateurs that came before him.

The irony is that the Orange League, despite being an anime-exclusive League, is the only League that has ever come closed to emulating how the Leagues functioned in the games. Four trainers to defeat before you face the defending Champion. The final battle is a full six-on-six match. Win, and your team get a picture taken and be placed in the Hall of Fame. Then you're free to go.

League Conferences in the anime are essentially glorified tournaments that you'll see in meta-gaming competition, and it would be disrespectful to imply that only the winner matters and everyone else are losers not worth looking into.

Last edited:
So guys, it’s stated that ANYONE can enter this league, and there’s no team member requirement, right? If that’s true, then imagine this; All of Ash’s past companions return and enter the league. There could be a full 6 on 6 Brattle between Dawn or Misty or Brock. Just imagine how hype that would be. This could be the perfect time to bring some of them back.

A way to ensure that effectively not everyone is not kicked out in the first round could be to have a few qualification rounds which remove people like Lillie and Sophocles, and those with only one Pokémon.

I predict that as a nod to Ash's loss in OS due to Charizard, TRio will lose in this league due to Mimikyu not obeying Jessie against an otherwise manageable opponent.
I’m curious Jessie Mimikyu is strongest battler in her team, Wabbafet is more of tank or the reflector member and James water/poison unknown it might be more a trying Pokémon to battle
Unless they could Ask Bewear to battle if yes then their more of chance to win this league but why are they entering maybe to capture weak Pokémon that can’t battle similar to Drake Dragonite they try though sadly to say I think Drake could have won against Ash Pikachu because he waisted more stamina against Team Rocket

It does give Ash's team different Z-Crystals, but it seems like it was mainly done just to promote the games more than anything else if it doesn't factor into how Ash gets into the Alola League. Even making his team stronger would be almost a moot point considering how he would rarely bring up the Island Challenge.

It's even worse when you think about the fact that Ash didn't take about half of the trials because he didn't need that specific Z-crystal at the time or because the writer decided to rush through an island story arc so they could end it faster.
I thought that the Alola League was only available to those who completed the Island Challenge in the games. I could be mixing it up with how the Pokemon League was available after you completed the Island Challenge though.

Iirc, Kukui tells you sometime after you complete the last Grand Trial that, in the past, you would have to pass a special Grand Trial on top of Mount Lanakila in order to finish your Island Challenge, where you had to defeat all of the kahunas, but now that the league is complete, you don't have to do that anymore and, instead, you can challenge the Elite Four.
I predict that as a nod to Ash's loss in OS due to Charizard, TRio will lose in this league due to Mimikyu not obeying Jessie against an otherwise manageable opponent.

Or the writers could have Bewear drop in and take them away while in the middle of a match. It's not like they haven't done that before (on multiple occasions, including when they're about to win, I might add).

I’m curious Jessie Mimikyu is strongest battler in her team, Wabbafet is more of tank or the reflector member and James water/poison unknown it might be more a trying Pokémon to battle

Mareanie's (the Water/Poison one) pretty decent. It’s at least better than Snowy.
Wobuffet has had its time to shine and can tank even Pheromosa's kicks.

But Mimikyu is clearly the strongest battler in the team, but it has the drawback of disobeying Jessie against anyone not named Pikachu so I think TRio would get eliminated due to Mimikyu disobeying.

It'd be interesting if they somehow convinced Bewear and Stufful to battle for them.

—-

I still think preliminary rounds might happen to weed out some of the weakest candidates, since apparantly everyone and their mother wants to join.

True
What you say

I was wondering after the series ends will Mymykiu and James Pokémon be left at Giovani like his present like they did Woobat and others three of unova
Unknown what to happen Kalos Team of Rocket

Will be amazing to have Arbork and Weezing in their team though they could be stronger since know they are leaders might been doing serious training to protect them since they weren’t strong to defend their masters from back then

So Jessie and janes team can someone list who the strongest from Kanto to alola
Jessie team are always the the strongest
1. Mymyku
2.lickatoung
3.Arbork
4.Yagamonaga
5.Woobat
6.Frellish
7.Serviper
8.Dustox
9Gourgiest

I’m not sure of James
Only from their teams that they kept official longest

Mareanie's (the Water/Poison one) pretty decent. It’s at least better than Snowy.
Wobuffet has had its time to shine and can tank even Pheromosa's kicks.

But Mimikyu is clearly the strongest battler in the team, but it has the drawback of disobeying Jessie against anyone not named Pikachu so I think TRio would get eliminated due to Mimikyu disobeying.

It'd be interesting if they somehow convinced Bewear and Stufful to battle for them.

—-

I still think preliminary rounds might happen to weed out some of the weakest candidates, since apparantly everyone and their mother wants to join.
True even what I said on top seems reasonable

So guys, it’s stated that ANYONE can enter this league, and there’s no team member requirement, right? If that’s true, then imagine this; All of Ash’s past companions return and enter the league. There could be a full 6 on 6 Brattle between Dawn or Misty or Brock. Just imagine how hype that would be. This could be the perfect time to bring some of them back.

If the League has no requirements and is open to everyone even outside of Alola, then that could give them another opportunity to bring Misty and Brock back. I could see Misty being interested in the Alola League, but I don't know if I could see Brock taking part in it. He has a Mega Pokemon now, but he's still more focused on becoming a Pokemon Doctor. They would probably bring both of them back regardless since they've appeared together multiple times in this series. It would be an interesting way to incorporate them into SM one more time and I'm sure plenty of fans would want to see them battle again.

It's even worse when you think about the fact that Ash didn't take about half of the trials because he didn't need that specific Z-crystal at the time or because the writer decided to rush through an island story arc so they could end it faster.

I think that they gave up on trying to adapt the regular Trials after the Akala Island arc. They just had Ash focus on taking part in the Grand Trials right away and seemingly forgot about having to defeat Totem Pokemon in order to take part in the Grand Trial. A part of me would like to give them more credit for using the Mimikyu battle as a stand-in for that particular Trial, but the extremely cheap cop out victory for Ash really brought it down for me. I can understand not having Ash do every Trial in a way since getting Z-Crystals he couldn't use would be disappointing, but if the Island Challenge was more of a consistent goal and not something he'd mention once in a blue moon, then it would probably have been okay. At least it wouldn't contribute to the Island Challenge being treated like such an afterthought.

Pulsario23 said:
Iirc, Kukui tells you sometime after you complete the last Grand Trial that, in the past, you would have to pass a special Grand Trial on top of Mount Lanakila in order to finish your Island Challenge, where you had to defeat all of the kahunas, but now that the league is complete, you don't have to do that anymore and, instead, you can challenge the Elite Four.

That makes sense. I remember that now. I thought that there was some detail about past Island Challenge winners coming back for the Alola League, but that might have been some dialogue from trainers you face going through Victory Road.

They would probably bring both of them back regardless since they've appeared together multiple times in this series. It would be an interesting way to incorporate them into SM one more time and I'm sure plenty of fans would want to see them battle again.

I just hope their battles don’t get priority over the characters introduced in this series, specially Hau or Gladion.
They’re the ones who need time to shine in an already congested series. Brock and Misty have had limelight many times.

Overall I'd prefer if they didn’t participate at all.

If the League has no requirements and is open to everyone even outside of Alola, then that could give them another opportunity to bring Misty and Brock back. I could see Misty being interested in the Alola League, but I don't know if I could see Brock taking part in it. He has a Mega Pokemon now, but he's still more focused on becoming a Pokemon Doctor. They would probably bring both of them back regardless since they've appeared together multiple times in this series. It would be an interesting way to incorporate them into SM one more time and I'm sure plenty of fans would want to see them battle again.

I think that they gave up on trying to adapt the regular Trials after the Akala Island arc. They just had Ash focus on taking part in the Grand Trials right away and seemingly forgot about having to defeat Totem Pokemon in order to take part in the Grand Trial. A part of me would like to give them more credit for using the Mimikyu battle as a stand-in for that particular Trial, but the extremely cheap cop out victory for Ash really brought it down for me. I can understand not having Ash do every Trial in a way since getting Z-Crystals he couldn't use would be disappointing, but if the Island Challenge was more of a consistent goal and not something he'd mention once in a blue moon, then it would probably have been okay. At least it wouldn't contribute to the Island Challenge being treated like such an afterthought.

That makes sense. I remember that now. I thought that there was some detail about past Island Challenge winners coming back for the Alola League, but that might have been some dialogue from trainers you face going through Victory Road.
What do you think Jessie chance in the league I believe that Mymykyu is her strongest

Though their chance it could listen until they fight Pikachu then losses

I was hoping they could be more in team since Jessie Mymykyu had that bond in one episode but seems not change munch
Jessie Mymykyu takes its/his grudge against every Pikachu mostly Ash Pikachu too since they been battling the most..

They would probably bring both of them back regardless since they've appeared together multiple times in this series. It would be an interesting way to incorporate them into SM one more time and I'm sure plenty of fans would want to see them battle again.

Personally, I'm getting tired of them. Don't get me wrong, I do love Brock. But I feel like him and Misty coming back twice now has taken away from the chances of other companions returning (not to mention that their interactions with the Sun & Moon gang have been less impactful than Dawn's return in Best Wishes). And them doing that a third time (as opposed to, I don't know, GETTING SOME OF THE OTHER COMPANIONS BACK (especially if they want to have old companions returning that badly)) would really turn me off from the league instead of exciting me.

Personally, I'm getting tired of them. Don't get me wrong, I do love Brock. But I feel like him and Misty coming back twice now has taken away from the chances of other companions returning (not to mention that their interactions with the Sun & Moon gang have been less impactful than Dawn's return in Best Wishes). And them doing that a third time (as opposed to, I don't know, GETTING SOME OF THE OTHER COMPANIONS BACK (especially if they want to have old companions returning that badly)) would really turn me off from the league instead of exciting me.
I will love to see Paul and Trip again

The leagues have only been 7-8 episodes long. If we have Ash, plus 5 SM companions, Gladion, Hau, Kukui competing, that alone is 9 characters right there, not even counting if any other Alola characters like the Kahuna's enter. There's no way they're going to bring back old characters or Misty/Brock again if they already have nearly 10 SM characters competing. All the battles would either have to be extremely rushed or just 1 vs 1 fights to fit everything in. And I'm sure Ash will have at least 2-3 on screen battles because he's the main character.

How many will enter the Alolha league in this region maybe 128 I wish for 256 was pretty cool to have that amount

Longest league I think
Kanto
Jhoto
Honnen
Sinnoh

I’m not sure what in order has the highest but I’m sure these were the longest

The leagues have only been 7-8 episodes long. If we have Ash, plus 5 SM companions, Gladion, Hau, Kukui competing, that alone is 9 characters right there, not even counting if any other Alola characters like the Kahuna's enter. There's no way they're going to bring back old characters or Misty/Brock again if they already have nearly 10 SM characters competing. All the battles would either have to be extremely rushed or just 1 vs 1 fights to fit everything in. And I'm sure Ash will have at least 2-3 on screen battles because he's the main character.
That’s what I think

What do you Ash Pokémon doesn’t seem to be strong

Well Ash lycanroc seems to be his powerhouse since alone it battle against dark Trial a lone with extra strength of anger on its side

Ash Torrkat seems to be second strongest of Alolha team though unknown if evolved before the League starts or during?

Ash Rowlet well he doesn’t seem to pay attention well it’s major flaw in battle but it’s proven to be strong

Ash Pikachu always will be low power in every region definitely to be true being a lone against Brandon Regigice that win then had draw with Paul elekid and Loose to battle with Trip snivy with no training on their first day

Ash Meltman unknown to keep this Pokémon or not but it’s strong Flashcannon proven to be Powerful but unknown it’s true strength

Kikiwai strongest
Well his Turtle dragon Pokémon must be his strongest being in his most battles

His Morwak definitely strong but in my opinion seems to be over confident that will make it loose

His Charizard might a lot of stamina compared to his other two since being used to fly in other parts of island and its strength definitely strong to do its best to fight god Pokémon though only seem to loose because being exhausted from the long flight so basically it’s second strongest though might be oldest Pokémon of the tram since it belonged to his grandfather

Last edited:
For the record, this will not be an ordinary League.

This will be a Don Battle Tournament with the dressing of a League. Everyone is participating.

And subsequently, all eyes on the narrative. Especially with your boy Guzma.

We should always remember that Ash did win a League: The Orange League. And that didn't stop him from going to Johto.
Don tournaments are 1 v 1 only. If that's the case the whole tournament is a joke, and you may as well let Sophecles win.

Masked Royale and Hau winning seem to be likely because they fill the role of champion in games.

If had to choose a way for Ash to lose that didn't involve an oc donut steal or bringing back old characters I would have Kaki beat him in the semis before losing in the final. But we know Kaki is losing before the full battles.

They should have made league arcs more than a dozen episodes from the beginning.

Don tournaments are 1 v 1 only. If that's the case the whole tournament is a joke, and you may as well let Sophecles win.

Masked Royale and Hau winning seem to be likely because they fill the role of champion in games.

If had to choose a way for Ash to lose that didn't involve an oc donut steal or bringing back old characters I would have Kaki beat him in the semis before losing in the final. But we know Kaki is losing before the full battles.

They should have made league arcs more than a dozen episodes from the beginning.
What do you think what I said on top

Lillie has one Pokémon
Lana has two Pokémon
Kiawe has three Pokémon if you count Charizard; otherwise two.
Mallow has one Pokémon.
Sophocles has two Pokémon.
Team Rocket has only three official Pokémon plus Meowth and Bewear. That's accounting them to be together instead of seperate.

Yet all of them are entering the League. So 1 vs 1 is our likely set up for the majority of the League.

I should also note that neither Kukui nor Hau were considered to be the unbeatable champion to overcome in the games. In fact, much of their character revolves around being "second-best" with Kukui unable to defeat Lance and Hau being one step behind the player. Then there's Guzma, who is essentially the second-best trainer turned bad because of his bitterness over his failures. So you have a recurring theme of second best trainers gathering in a tournament to see who is the best of them all.

I mean a mini arc where they catch more Pokémon wouldn't be too hard to do...

"Yet all of them are entering the League. So 1 vs 1 is our likely set up for the majority of the League."

If that's the case I may have to put it in my bottom three league if not my bottom league by default.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom