• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ASH AND ALOLA LEAGUE

That does make it feel kind of cheap in a way though or at least not as noteworthy as the first Alola League should be. If there isn't any requirements and open to everyone, then becoming the Champion might not feel like such a huge accomplishment. Defeating a bunch of random trainers isn't really as impressive or noteworthy as defeating trainers who all had the skills to earn their place in a Pokemon League.
Yea I gotta agree here. While there’s been plenty of buildup to the Alola League, the fact that anyone can enter and that they declared it as just there as a learning experience just kinda takes some of the excitement out of it. In a lot of ways, such a thing makes this league feel like an insult to the Pokemon League in general as, while the purpose was to discover the strongest trainer in the region, you had to earn your spot there.The journey to get there was the experience that you learn and grow from between the people and Pokémon you met and the challenges you faced and the league was where you put all that to the test. Kinda what the Island Trials should have been had they not been a total afterthought. The way they describe this league, it’s basically the ‘everybody gets a trophy’ of leagues. As has been said, this is just a glorified Club Tournament wearing the skin of a league.

Yea I gotta agree here. While there’s been plenty of buildup to the Alola League, the fact that anyone can enter and that they declared it as just there as a learning experience just kinda takes some of the excitement out of it. In a lot of ways, such a thing makes this league feel like an insult to the Pokemon League in general as, while the purpose was to discover the strongest trainer in the region, you had to earn your spot there.The journey to get there was the experience that you learn and grow from between the people and Pokémon you met and the challenges you faced and the league was where you put all that to the test. Kinda what the Island Trials should have been had they not been a total afterthought. The way they describe this league, it’s basically the ‘everybody gets a trophy’ of leagues. As has been said, this is just a glorified Club Tournament wearing the skin of a league.
What your thoughts on mine

Please everyone I’m been reading every body thoughts not a lot of people try to read mine and no response

I don't know if I'd say that this is an insult to other Pokemon League, but it does seem pretty backwards logic. The journey to getting into a Pokemon League is supposed to be the main learning experience, not the League itself. A part of me wishes that they only allowed people who completed the Island Challenge to participate in it. Even with how the Trials were treated as such an afterthought, it would at least give more meaning to Ash doing them than just doing it for fun/getting more Z-Crystals. But then they wouldn't have everyone be able to participate and they may want to do that for whatever reason. I'm still hoping it will turn out better than I'm expecting it to be, but I wouldn't be shocked if it does turn out to be just a glorified Club Battle Tournament.

I don't know if I'd say that this is an insult to other Pokemon League, but it does seem pretty backwards logic. The journey to getting into a Pokemon League is supposed to be the main learning experience, not the League itself. A part of me wishes that they only allowed people who completed the Island Challenge to participate in it. Even with how the Trials were treated as such an afterthought, it would at least give more meaning to Ash doing them than just doing it for fun/getting more Z-Crystals. But then they wouldn't have everyone be able to participate and they may want to do that for whatever reason. I'm still hoping it will turn out better than I'm expecting it to be, but I wouldn't be shocked if it does turn out to be just a glorified Club Battle Tournament.

I don't mind as much about this League problem here if only because I'm in the business of demolishing the "Winning League = Pokémon Master" myth as well as that absurd notion that a League Conference is somehow the same as the Pokémon League from the games, despite the fact that the Conference doesn't allow you to fight the Elite Four plus Champion in a gauntlet run.

To render the Alola League as a glorified Club Battle Tournament is to show just how far we as a fanbase are lost in the forest in the search for trees. We put too much stake on the importance of the Pokémon League that we fail to realize what Ash already has and what Ash sees the League as. Never the endgame, but just another step in a never-ending journey. The cherry on top for this realization of absurdity would be for Ash to win the Alola League and treat it like it was another regular tournament.

A part of me wishes that they only allowed people who completed the Island Challenge to participate in it.

It’d also have strengthened Kukui’s point against Guzma’s argument that the league is Kukui’s way of replacing the trial system Alola has gone by.
(In the recent episode Kukui really didn’t say anything to argue that as far as I remember)

By making the league affair a fusion between tradition and modern customs it would be less polarising and would make the cries for opposition lose some merit.

Or the requirement could’ve been made to complete at least one Grand Trial if they want to increase the amount of participants.
Or just complete a single trial if the writers want it to be ‘anyone enters’ but with a shred of dignity.

My predictions about battles:
-There will be at least 1 classmate vs classmate battle.
-Ash, Royal Mask, Gladion, Hau, Kiawe, Lana and Guzma will make it to the second round.
-Pikarla and Jessie will battle each other. The result could go either way.
-Guzma will be beaten by Royal Mask.
-The semifinals will be Ash vs Gladion and Royal Mask vs Kiawe. In the second battle it will be revealed that Royal Mask is Kukui.
-The final battle will be Ash vs Kukui.

I don't mind as much about this League problem here if only because I'm in the business of demolishing the "Winning League = Pokémon Master" myth as well as that absurd notion that a League Conference is somehow the same as the Pokémon League from the games, despite the fact that the Conference doesn't allow you to fight the Elite Four plus Champion in a gauntlet run.

There are some series they mention the Champion League, which basically sounds more like a traditional Pokemon League from the games, but they are not consistent with that at all in the anime. Most of the time, the trainers we meet who end up winning a Pokemon League just go on a different journey instead of challenging the Elite 4 to become the new Champion.

Shadao said:
To render the Alola League as a glorified Club Battle Tournament is to show just how far we as a fanbase are lost in the forest in the search for trees. We put too much stake on the importance of the Pokémon League that we fail to realize what Ash already has and what Ash sees the League as. Never the endgame, but just another step in a never-ending journey. The cherry on top for this realization of absurdity would be for Ash to win the Alola League and treat it like it was another regular tournament.

I agree that a Pokemon League is just another step in a never-ending journey for Ash, but I can kind of understand why fans would think it's so major to win a League to a degree. It wouldn't make him a Pokemon Master, but it would give him a pretty major accomplishment. Granted, I think people tend to ignore his other accomplishments simply because he isn't the winner anyway. Knowing how this fanbase works, I wouldn't be surprised if people try to dismiss Ash winning the Alola League just like they do with the Orange Islands victory.

I agree that a Pokemon League is just another step in a never-ending journey for Ash, but I can kind of understand why fans would think it's so major to win a League to a degree. It wouldn't make him a Pokemon Master, but it would give him a pretty major accomplishment. Granted, I think people tend to ignore his other accomplishments simply because he isn't the winner anyway. Knowing how this fanbase works, I wouldn't be surprised if people try to dismiss Ash winning the Alola League just like they do with the Orange Islands victory.
Depending on how well Ash does in this league, it'd be kinda interesting if Ash had a competitive rival in the next region who gives a bit of a meta voice in dismissing how well he did in the league due to it being one that just let anyone in rather than a "real" league kinda like how Trip's first impressions of Ash was unimpressed due to him coming from somewhere like Kanto.

The Alola League seems so messy already. There's just no real hype surrounding it. I can't even muster the strength to wonder whether Hau or Gladion will win it since I barely care about them. Something tells me that this League will be the anime equivalent of a root canal.

I’m guessing Mimikyu wins to have it get at least one win against a Pikachu in this saga.
Jessie Mymykiu is really strong hoping as a single handle to take on aloaln raticate though possible it was using a lot of stamina as it constantly attacked the team before Mymykiu got back up to fight once more

The Alola League seems so messy already. There's just no real hype surrounding it. I can't even muster the strength to wonder whether Hau or Gladion will win it since I barely care about them. Something tells me that this League will be the anime equivalent of a root canal.

Neither Hau nor Gladion are going to win because they aren't anime OCs.

That's the point. Traditions can be broken.
If you noticed I'm actually the person who said that traditions can be broken...

Stoutland's death isn’t related to abuse in any way though, that puts the nail in the coffin for the theory.

Shifting the goalposts from "Abusive trainer" to "Abusive situation" to "Emotional situation" is too much imo to make it work.

If you noticed I'm actually the person who said that traditions can be broken...

Stoutland's death isn’t related to abuse in any way though, that puts the nail in the coffin for the theory.

Shifting the goalposts from "Abusive trainer" to "Abusive situation" to "Emotional situation" is too much imo to make it work.
It's some kind of negative element, nonetheless.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom