• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ASH AND ALOLA LEAGUE

Would it even be realistic for Lillie to beat anyone with Snowy? All the other SM companions have stronger Pokémon than her, and I can’t see her beating anyone outside of DEM moments. I don’t think she’ll use the mythical for that matter.

I mean having the SM companions enter just for Lillie and Mallow to fail miserably in the first round would be embarrassing.

Would it even be realistic for Lillie to beat anyone with Snowy? All the other SM companions have stronger Pokémon than her, and I can’t see her beating anyone outside of DEM moments. I don’t think she’ll use the mythical for that matter.

I mean having the SM companions enter just for Lillie and Mallow to fail miserably in the first round would be embarrassing.

I mean, they even said this league isn't just about becoming Champion. Whoever wins will become Champion, but it's also meant to be a learning opportunity, which is why there are no requirements and it's open to anyone.

I just think not every character, and by extension not every Pokémon needs development. It's okay to have a villian with simple motives or an side character that doesn't do much. By that same token a Pokémon just being used as a "battle machine" is okay even if it's briefly in the "main cast". Overall it's a much better option to me than having a 1 v 1 fest. Having a three pokemon minimum isn't crazy. If it's out of character for them to catch one or two pokemon just to compete in the league, they could not compete in the league.

I think that a villain with simple motives or a side character are kind of different examples. Those kind of characters fill different roles than I think what Pokemon do and wouldn't necessarily need to get a lot of focus depending on their role in a story. A Pokemon being used as just a battle machine is kind of boring. It wouldn't have a more fleshed out personality, there wouldn't be much, if any, bond with the trainer and thus not really much of a reason for the audience to care about it. Out of Ash's BW reserves Pokemon, Paliptoad usually did pretty well in battle, but that definitely didn't make me care about it or make it seem like Ash had a strong connection with it compared to the Pokemon with more personality that he used more often.

I agree that one-on-one matches sound pretty boring. Even the two-on-two matches in the BW tournaments were pretty boring for me, but I don't think that throwing in a bunch of Pokemon at the last minute to be used as battle machines is a good solution. It wouldn't be out of character for the cast to catch more Pokemon to compete in the Alola League per say, but it would be rushed and a forced reason to give them more Pokemon. Plus, that would require a lot of Pokemon to be caught all of a sudden. If we count Kiawe's Charizard, then he's the only classmate who would have three Pokemon to use. Everyone else would need at least one more Pokemon and two in Lille's case, which would mean a minimal of five Pokemon introduced within a relatively short amount of time. It would not only feel forced, but it could make their accomplishments in the Alola League feel potentially cheap. Instead of winning battles with Pokemon that they've trained over the course of the series, they'd have to rely on Pokemon that they caught just before entering the League. This would be especially cheap for characters like Lille, Mallow and Sophocles who have done hardly any battling over the course of the series. The solution here isn't that they should just hand out Pokemon all of a sudden for the classmates to have better teams for the Alola League. In my opinion, the solution should have been to give them more Pokemon over the course of the series and have them interested in battling so that their involvement in the Alola League would have felt more natural.

It also doesn't help that Snowy's moves are pretty defensive and I don't think it has learned anything stronger than Powered Snow for an offensive move. Unless Snowy learns some new moves or evolves, I don't think it would make much sense for Lillie to win a battle, although I'm sure she'll win at least one due to her popularity. As much as I don't like the idea of the classmates taking part in the Alola League, I'm sure everyone will get through at least one battle each.

I mean, they even said this league isn't just about becoming Champion. Whoever wins will become Champion, but it's also meant to be a learning opportunity, which is why there are no requirements and it's open to anyone.

That does make it feel kind of cheap in a way though or at least not as noteworthy as the first Alola League should be. If there isn't any requirements and open to everyone, then becoming the Champion might not feel like such a huge accomplishment. Defeating a bunch of random trainers isn't really as impressive or noteworthy as defeating trainers who all had the skills to earn their place in a Pokemon League.

@Darkrai another option is to throw them to the wolves via the game rules. You don't have a full team? That's on you. Up to three for the first rounds then as many as you want in the finals.

That’s not exactly fair. Besides, this isn’t...the Unova League. (Shudders)

That does make it feel kind of cheap in a way though or at least not as noteworthy as the first Alola League should be. If there isn't any requirements and open to everyone, then becoming the Champion might not feel like such a huge accomplishment. Defeating a bunch of random trainers isn't really as impressive or noteworthy as defeating trainers who all had the skills to earn their place in a Pokemon League.

It’s not like those weaker Trainers will last too long, anyway. The fact that this League is open to everyone means that Trainers of many different grades of strengh will be participating. Once we get into the last few rounds, only the strongest Trainers will be left, which will make winning this League just as impressive as the ones beforehand.

It’s not like those weaker Trainers will last too long, anyway. The fact that this League is open to everyone means that Trainers of many different grades of strengh will be participating. Once we get into the last few rounds, only the strongest Trainers will be left, which will make winning this League just as impressive as the ones beforehand.

I'm not sure about that. While I'm sure that there will be some strong trainers in the Alola League, having it open to everyone with no requirements does put it in a different light compared to the other Pokemon Leagues. Sure, stronger trainers will last longer, but defeating a bunch of weak trainers isn't really impressive. I'm not going to think that a character who is able to defeat Lillie or Sophocles is particularly noteworthy. Plus, not having any kind of requirements kind of takes away a bit of tension for a Pokemon League. Everyone at a Pokemon League is strong enough to get at least eight badges. That doesn't make them all equally strong of course, but it does give the audience a general idea of how strong everyone is and how difficult it can be to get through each round. Not having any requirements so anyone and everyone can participate in it makes the Alola League less like a Pokemon League and more like those Club Battle tournaments from BW. It is much less impressive to win a tournament where anyone can enter compared to winning a tournament that only the strongest trainers can even get in.

Granted, I'm sure that there will be some good battles in the Alola League. I actually do like some of the battles in SM and I think Ash has done well in most of the Grand Trail matches I've seen. I just don't know if winning the Alola League will be as impressive compared to winning previous Leagues could be. I'm not even sure if fans would care about Ash winning with this kind of setup or with the mixed reception towards SM for that matter. It may turn out better than what I'm expecting, but the setup for the Alola League on paper sounds a bit concerning to me.

I'm imagining Paul seeing the Alola league on the television out of boredom, and sighing (because everything else airing is either Alola Soda commercials or Showcases and he hasn’t other choice).
He gets sick of it within 5 minutes and has Electivire destroy the TV with cross chop.
"Good riddance."

Last edited:
Now while I am certain that someone has already pointed this out but a thought just occurred to me; even if Ash does end up winning the Alolan League, what does that really mean in the grand scheme of things?

I mean, yes, sure, this would be the very first real official league win under his belt if the whole Orange Islands thing really doesn’t count. But, the Alolan Pokémon league is still only just now being created, it’s still very brand new and, if what was shown before is of any indication, then not that many people in Alola even know that much about it or its general concept, really. I mean yeah, sure, one could probably make the argument that the Island Challenges and the old tradition of naming an Alolan champion do both follow the same basic principles but only to a certain degree. And most likely, Ash will probably be one of the only select few who has experience in this sort of thing and say what you want about Ash, but he can really be a force to be reckoned with when he puts his mind to it, especially when he’s battling against an opponent who has less experience than he does, and it looks like he intends to train for this every single opportunity that he gets. But again, even if he does win in a league that he himself helped to bring about indirectly, then he will become the first Alolan Pokémon league winner of the very first Alolan Pokémon league ever and thus become the champion of a very small region consisting of four natural islands and a business complex at best.

Is that really as equatable to being the champion of a much larger region after winning a Pokémon league competition that has been around for a good long time as they make it sound?

My expectations:

Bourgain vs Kaki (Kaki wins)
Sauboh vs Team Rocket (TR wins)
Satoshi vs Team Rocket (Satoshi wins)
Mao vs Suiren (Suiren wins)
Lilie vs Mamane (Lilie wins)
Kaki vs Satoshi (Satoshi wins)
Gladio vs Lilie (Gladio wins)
Gladio vs Hau (Gladio wins)
Guzma vs Royal Mask (Guzma wins)
Guzma vs Satoshi (Satoshi wins)
Gladio vs Satoshi (? wins)
Suiren vs ? (Suiren wins and became Champion)

Last edited:
My expectations:

Bourgain vs Team Rocket (TR wins)
Just like Lana to go from 1vs1 to the finals :p

Well, Mao vs Suiren have to be a 1vs1. And most of her battles will happen off-camera.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she claimed to have caught Bewear to her off screen opponents and they’ll forefeit for their Pokémon's safety.

The gal will troll her way to the finals someway or the other.

Last edited:
My expectations:

Bourgain vs Kaki (Kaki wins)
Sauboh vs Team Rocket (TR wins)
Why can’t no one use English names

Why can’t no one use English names

Both Japanese and English names are allowed on here, because lots of people view the Japanese episodes before they’re dubbed and maybe more comfortable with the Japanese names. You can always google or copy-paste them on Bulbapedia though.

In the post you quoted:
Satoshi: Ash
Kaki: Kiawe
Mao: Mallow
Suiren: Lana
Mamane: Sophocles
Gladio(/n)
Bourgain: Viren

Well in the intro it seems likely Ash Will battle Professor unknown what round maybe as runner up?
Will Ash uses his Meltman in battle we don’t know it’s true battle strength yet?

Spoloish with his two Pokémon his bug/electric Pokémon definitely is his strongest in his team with a z move I’m sure they get it?

Gladaion Pokémon Svilny the Type Null might be his strongest because it was designed to battle ultra beast Pokémon so it will definitely be tough to defeat in battle from any opponent.

Lana I think two or three Pokémon since she has lapras that can be use as part of team since Kiwai proven his Charizard to be use in battle

Mallow only has one though if she can ask the orguaton Pokémon that good friend of the family in the battle she will be tough and her Pokémon the grass is definitely strong enough to handle any Pokémon proven against Alola Persian

Kukui because duh, Hau would be an underdog wildcard for the league (speaking of which, I hope we see him soon so that his skills don't become too out of nowhere), Guzma so that he can lose to kukui, Dia because wildcard (+ he's not a game character), or a random. Due to storytelling for the latter and trend for the former Ash and Gladion have about the same chance of winning the league, that is to say, almost none

Kukui because duh, Hau would be an underdog wildcard for the league (speaking of which, I hope we see him soon so that his skills don't become too out of nowhere), Guzma so that he can lose to kukui, Dia because wildcard (+ he's not a game character), or a random. Due to storytelling for the latter and trend for the former Ash and Gladion have about the same chance of winning the league, that is to say, almost none
Gladion father owning Zerork and battle Hau must be strong trainer

I was curious what took him into Ultra World maybe the jellyfish Pokémon ultra beast makes more sense in my opinion

Could be possible if yes he might be very evil compared to his wife. His Pokémon might be extra powerful and consumed like Lillie mother Pokémon might be harder to talk him to snapped him out of it

Plot Twist: Ash is eliminated in the first round in Pikachu vs Mimikyu.
That would be instresting but I will prefer in later round

I was assuming that the league will have under 32 trainers in this

I could be wrong but will be shortest rounds
32-16-8-4-2
5 rounds
1 vs 1 Pokémon
Will be nice to be 2-3 Pokémon

I think Spoloch rival will be in this to have rematch that guy with shiny color by/eletric pokemon

That kid with horse Pokémon too that battle Ash as well

Maybe that Bird Pokémon trainer from the Gulf and that old man as well we see him twice already that has Krabby

That evil guy that try to buy or steal Kikwi family farm and his minion Mad Magmortar too

Will be funny if
Faba enters the league he has two Pokémon we don’t know their true strength yet?

Who knows maybe that rich lady with that Persian be in this tournament as well be funny if it challenges Ash Torrakt

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom