• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash and Misty drive around Los Angeles

I still think what hurt the Pokémon English dub's reputation more than any music changes, censorship/visual edits, and script changes was the infamous VA & writer purge of late 2006 overall.

This isn't to detract from the current cast's talents or what not as they have them and they were thrust into a very bad situation that they didn't seem to be aware of what exactly TAJ/PUSA was doing at the time and just went auditioning for roles they assumed weren't being done anymore (the recast was shady AF), but it proved to be IMO wholly unnecessary over time.

Basically, TPCi ended up repeating 4Kids' mistakes over time in every department (for every jelly donut & sandwich, we got the berries in turn as well as that also making its unwelcome return here: https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1233176940032466944?lang=en), TPCi ended up replacing more of the OST overall than 4Kids did in the main Series, we still got errors like potions being called lotions for every Arbok --> Seviper flub, etc. etc.) while we lost the strengths of the 4Kids Era over time...and one of its greatest strengths I feel TPCi was NEVER able to match was the stellar, top tier VA work for the main cast and even some of the side characters sometimes (in all forms of media, TPCi has done multiple things not just the main Anime over time outsourcing them to LA- even then, it is largely unmatched what the old NY crew did from 1998-2006 for me). Even Bill Rogers said they were a terrific, talented cast at the time of the change, and I still believe this even now when TPCi did the dub for 17 years now to 4Kids' 8.

Awww, this was really cute! It's literally been decades but I still miss Veronica Taylor and Rachel Lillis' voice work as Ash and Misty.
They've still got it! My least favorite decision TPCi has made since acquiring the dub rights for Pokemon back in 2006, was overhauling so much of the staff between AG145/M08 and AG146/M09 for me: Goldfarb/Gopal's hiring is only second around XY001, personally.

(Eventually, the dub would go back to censoring things like in the days of 4Kids by late XY here, but that's never been my major issue with the dub as dumb/pointless as it has always been: Pokémon the Series: XYZ episode)

Trivia: The dub was still on CN by the end in Season 19 there, that was basically a precursor of things to come in SM & JN, ye old censorship from OS & AG came back too over time

She wouldn't have been around much, but still, it was a memorable performance by & large per se that is still standing time's test under duress.

It was weird, for sure, I remember there was this episode in mid DP where Ash had the lure from Misty ("Buizel Your Way Out of This?" or something stupid like that, IIRC) and they mentioned her in passing but it never went anywhere after that. Misty only appeared after MoMP in BW116's flashbacks, SM cameos, and then MPM in JN basically post-OG dub.

I'll say this, though, I think 4Kids added in some additional PokeShipping stuff because they thought Misty was going to be coming back after AG for more cameos than that but never did (they liked the Ash x Misty pairing the most albeit Taylor I think though she favors Misty liked AdvancedShipping most in Ash x May-- TPCi's cast like the AmourShipping stuff with Ash x Serena the most by far, though we all know none of these were going anywhere obviously as 10 year olds).

When did that infamous interview from the Japanese side that said the female side kicks switching often was for looks?

When did that infamous interview from the Japanese side that said the female side kicks switching often was for looks?
2008, I believe, Masamitsu Hidaka who was the storyboard artist from OS, AG & DP said it (a bit sexist in hindsight, but he was honest, they were clearly trying to lure in young boys the most-- tbf I was one, but never had anything to do with that so much as I could relate to Ash a lot as a child like most):

He was actually a very kind person and may he RIP, believe it or not (was very dismayed/unhappy when he heard about the dub recast & looked down shaking his head at the time, was also unhappy about Hun the woman in Chronicles dub change but he figured they had reasons for it):

True, after the Mastermind Special she pretty much just permanently departed (I think 4Kids commissioned it despite it being the first thing TPCi dubbed, Dogasu is probably right on this one...twice, the only person TAJ/PUSA ended up recasting back then wasn't actually the performance that was most severely rebuked at the time but third most slammed behind Brock then May IIRC, I actually think they made the right call in hindsight to at least not keep Kayzie on Ash, and go with Sarah, if they had to can everyone) permanently until SM ironically enough save flashbacks w/o MPM in the mix.

Brock basically left after DP, he did make cameos in SM & MPM but that's it tbh.

Eventually it came down to just Ash & TR, before finally, they are both done and gone after 25 years.

At the time, it was probably the most controversial thing post the Johto filler fatigue for all the original fans, but in hindsight it wasn't too big a deal. Then, came the recast 3 years later, and that was pretty much the breaking point for most original fans who had stood with the Series through thick and thin who couldn't take it anymore specific only to the English run of course (some would argue this too didn't prove fatal, but I do think the dub was never quite the same again either).

There's been plenty of base breaking stuff since then, of course, after that the Tobias loss in DP and then the Ash losing to Snivy in BW killed off another segment of the fandom, etc. etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4kkds asked the Japanese side for those misty appearances.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4kkds asked the Japanese side for those misty appearances.
Pretty confident 4Kids did, as they seemed to love the Ash x Misty pairing to death (they didn't "invent" PokeShipping and that's more false rumor spreading as per the norm in this fandom- especially common on YouTube, to no surprise).

It was actually occasionally sometimes present in the Original Japanese Version too esp. in Orange Islands, but they did add/remove random hints at times related to it- they also added a Movie 6 reference to Misty when he didn't mention her in the OG film because they were likely trying some continuity semblance there.

Not sure if TPCi asked the Japanese side for Serena's cameo in JN, though, obviously they ordered OLM to do the censorship/reanimation of Ash crucifixion in late XY but maybe that too? They really love the XY Series as much as most of the modern fandom the most, I've noticed (I find it painfully overrated, personally).

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom