• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash gets a Gible! Wait he doesn't? Look here it says he does!

If Amazon lists it as well, its probably true. There's no reason to argue about it anymore.

I just wonder what it means for Gliscor and the rest of Sinnoh.

The rest of Sinnoh is a bunch of filler, another contest and then the Grand Festival, during which Ash's 'mon will probably only get a brief training montage, and finally the League, where he'll switch between all 7.

Then there's Sunyshore Gym, where arguing Gliscor will lose out makes no sense, as the odds of Ash using a team that contains Gible but not Gliscor are no higher than the odds of him using Pikachu/Buizel/Staraptor/Monferno.

Is anyone else getting a Phanpy vibe from this Gible? An extremely late capture that's not even used in the final Gym?

i predict that he will redo the phanphy thing with his old pal Larvitar. it'll evolve if/when they do the johto battle fronteir. palmer will likely be last, and it'll evolve into tyranitar in time to fight palmer.

But Scott, quite frankly, I don't understand why you insist on your opinion that Gliscor will be Oak'ed.
As I said before, it could as well be possible and even likely that it will be Gible who will be sent to Oak's lab.

That way, I would get my longed-for Gible, you could keep your beloved Gliscor at least a bit longer and all of us could be looking forward to a brandnew start in the Battle Frontier with a brandnew, fantastic Pokemon.
All's well that ends well...

But Scott, quite frankly, I don't understand why you insist on your opinion that Gliscor will be Oak'ed.
As I said before, it could as well be possible and even likely that it will be Gible who will be sent to Oak's lab.

That way, I would get my longed-for Gible, you could keep your beloved Gliscor at least a bit longer and all of us could be looking forward to a brandnew start in the Battle Frontier with a brandnew, fantastic Pokemon.
All's well that ends well...

I'd have to agree, I mean one of the bad things about Aipom's capture late, is that it didn't get to do anything, and yes it was caught because of Ambipom and also for a trade. Ash receiving Gible now, then having it stay at Professor Oak's, maybe even learning a new move so Ash can use it during the filler saga would be much preferable, because then we can say it's just a new Pokemon he caught at Oak's.

Even then I get the feeling Gible might be used in the league, maybe one or more times. I do doubt it'll evolve right now up until the filler saga. Since Monferno, and Buizel seem like a better choice to have evolve, and that way Gible actually does something before evolving.

Although if it does evolve early, it might actually indicate that it'll evolve into Garchomp, whether or not you see it. Because I don't see the point in evolving a Pokemon fairly early if it isn't going to evolve again, assuming in that case it can evolve further.

What exactly would be the purpose of capturing a Gible just to send it to Oak's lab? If that were the case, the writers would have saved the capture till after the league was over.

I expect Ash to change his team a bit after the league, like how after Hoenn both Torkoal and Glalie were left at Oak's for Phanpy's return...but in DP I expect a greater shift given the 200 episode length of this series.

I think Gible will stay around for awhile at least, I can't think of any other Pokemon that could be sent to Oak's aside from Gliscor. I wouldn't mind seeing Buizel Oak'd for a bit, but its unlikely.

What exactly would be the purpose of capturing a Gible just to send it to Oak's lab? If that were the case, the writers would have saved the capture till after the league was over.

So it can actually do something unlike Aipom who was getting dumped despite not doing anything. If it didn't stow away and help Ash win his Coal badge and earn his Forest Badge, Aipom would've done absolutely nothing.

And before anyone points it out there is a difference between helping and earning a badge. In case you're wondering, helping means it was in the gym battle and defeated one of the Gym Leader's Pokemon, earning means the Pokemon defeated the Gym Leader's last Pokemon.

Argh, Gible...

Well if he's going to get one then I hope it is weak as hell from the beginning and is essentially crap. If it's strong from the start then not only is it boring it also shows the other pokes to be weak. I dont want any "Dragon/pseudo legendary strong immediately" thing, that's boring and will make some of the more fanatical users here happy. I want the caught Gible to be compared to the current members of the team, show that they are much more capable and then see Ash have to work extremely hard to get Gible up to their standard.

So it can actually do something unlike Aipom who was getting dumped despite not doing anything. If it didn't stow away and help Ash win his Coal badge and earn his Forest Badge, Aipom would've done absolutely nothing

Better to have him capture it there than at the beginning of DP, I guess? The writers screwed up Ambipom altogether when they released it, so all its focus eps now seem like a waste.

Argh, Gible...

Well if he's going to get one then I hope it is weak as hell from the beginning and is essentially crap. If it's strong from the start then not only is it boring it also shows the other pokes to be weak. I dont want any "Dragon/pseudo legendary strong immediately" thing, that's boring and will make some of the more fanatical users here happy. I want the caught Gible to be compared to the current members of the team, show that they are much more capable and then see Ash have to work extremely hard to get Gible up to their standard.

I'd agree with that. This...

Ash: Gible, use Draco Meteor!
Brock: Torterra is unable to battle!
Paul: What?!

would definitely be more boring than....

Ash: Gible, use Sand-Attack!
Paul: Torterra, use Frenzy Plant!
Ash: Gible, no! Use Dragon Rage!
Gible: Giii... *fails to use move*
Ash: Huh?!

...Well, you get the point.

Anyway, I am all for Ash getting Gible! I don't care too much if he Oaks it, or sends back Gliscor, or Oaks Staraptor, or what. Just the fact that Ash is gonna get a Gible- a Dragon-type- is fabulous. It means that those writers have some brains after all. And I gotta admit, I was seriously questioning their sanity when they pulled a Primeape with Ambipom. And on numerous other occasions. Namely any situation that resulted in Team Rocket losing a Pokemon.

Its a shame Ash never got a ghost type or a dark type, or stuff like that.

They even prevented Corphish from evolving just cause Crawdaunt was part dark type. But yeah, its nice to see Ash get a type he never had before.

Gibble will probably be Oaked until Johto and then switched out then.

Why do people care so much about whether or not Satoshi gets this pokemon in the first place? Why is *this* worth pages and pages of speculation, excitement, and disappointment?

The writing team has thus far been paralyzed at giving any of the main characters Dark (OMG EVUL), Psychic, Ghost, or Dragon-type (TOO UBER UNBALANCED, LUL) Pokemon - the breaking of that rut could lead to more potential variety in the cast overall.

I get the appeal in psychics and ghosts since they've got such unique special abilities and all, but Dragon and Dark I'll never understand. They're pretty generic if they haven't got a quirk or dual type to level them out a little. Gible may be a dragon, but that's hardly what makes it an interesting catch imo. People get a little too caught up in 'oohing' and 'ahhing' at these so-caled taboo types methinks.

Last edited:
Its a shame Ash never got a ghost type or a dark type, or stuff like that.

They even prevented Corphish from evolving just cause Crawdaunt was part dark type. But yeah, its nice to see Ash get a type he never had before.

Actually, that part reminds me, if they couldn't give Ash a Dark Type or even evolve one of his Pokemon into a Dark Type (IE, Corphish), why didn't they give JJM a Dark type? I mean, if the statement about it's japanese name being the Evil type is true, then they have no reason NOT to give JJM a Dark type. I really don't buy the "JJM's the Comic Relief" excuse, seeing how CB are the comic relief as well [especially in the Hosos], and that never stopped CB from owning Dark Types in the past (Sableye, Houndour, and Mightyena).

Besides, if they wanted Ash and co. to seem like good characters and having even own one Dark type would be considered out of character, they shouldn't even befriend Dark types, either.

It's just a stupid fan made rule that the main character "can't" have dark/psychic/ghost types (not to mention Misty did have Starmie)
Most of the main characters have their unique kind of team and that's the most logical reason to why they didn't get some of the other types:
Ash usually has: Pikachu, early bird of the region, the grass starter, a fire type, a water type, a random Poké
May/Dawn usually have mostly cute little Poké
Misty had mostly water types
Brock is totally random (so is Tracey, if we can even count a 3-Poké-character)
Jessie seems to now always have this team: Wobbuffet/poison snake/bug type
And James always have a cute little psychic type and a grass type that hurts him

I don't understand why the TRio have to get dark types jsut because they're "bad guys" Weedle... I really don't get why does it even matter so much, it's not liek the main characters HAVE to get all the types that exist...
And dark types aren't associated with bad guys in the anime at all - Gary/Umbreon, Drew/Absol...

It's just a stupid fan made rule that the main character "can't" have dark/psychic/ghost types (not to mention Misty did have Starmie)
Most of the main characters have their unique kind of team and that's the most logical reason to why they didn't get some of the other types:
Ash usually has: Pikachu, early bird of the region, the grass starter, a fire type, a water type, a random Poké
May/Dawn usually have mostly cute little Poké
Misty had mostly water types
Brock is totally random (so is Tracey, if we can even count a 3-Poké-character)
Jessie seems to now always have this team: Wobbuffet/poison snake/bug type
And James always have a cute little psychic type and a grass type that hurts him

I don't understand why the TRio have to get dark types jsut because they're "bad guys" Weedle... I really don't get why does it even matter so much, it's not liek the main characters HAVE to get all the types that exist...
And dark types aren't associated with bad guys in the anime at all - Gary/Umbreon, Drew/Absol...

I was just pointing out the flaws about how Ash and Co. can't have Dark Types just because apparantly in Japan, they are the "Evil-type". I mean, common-sense, if that truly was the reason [which it is not], they would have given JJM one. I always hated it when people claimed that Dark Types are evil. Heck, I hate it if they even insinuate that any pokemon is evil (Otherwise, they WOULDN'T have Ekans and Koffing explicitly tell Meowth that Pokemon cannot be evil.)

What I really don´t get are the people who just seem to know that this Gible will be awesome and super-strong, just because it is a Gible...

Yeah, it is a pretty cool pokémon and it IS strong in-game when you evolve it, but...what if it is another Gliscor-like "clown-Pokémon"? I´d like a Gible like that.

But, as Grave-E, Dogasu and other people already said: It would be stupid for Satoshi to catch a new team member NOW when he rather should work with his current team instead. I don´t know what to think about all of this, to be honest.

I'd love if Satoshi got a Gible, I like Gible,Gabite,Garchomp.
Besides he's never had a dragon pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom