• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash Greninja Confirmed!

I hope that is only obtained through transfer from Demo. This is second disappointment of the games that I have to deal with. First being Customization. Wished they kept Ash-Greninja anime exclusive.

I'd be fine with something similar to ash-greninja as a reference to it, but having it look like ash, have ash in its name, and having it not used by ash is just... weird. Really weird.

We're not playing as Ash so we shouldn't have our bond with a pokemon turn it into something that resembles Ash. Anime Pandering to the max.

Having Ash-Greninja be a form change that's activated via an Ability actually makes a lot of sense if they want to give Greninja its Giga Shuriken Break as a signature Z-Move, since its hold item slot is still open. Though at the same time, I feel like that's something that they would have announced alongside this. Guess we'll wait and see.

However, that date would have to be different between the English and Japanese versions of the demo.

Surely that's no big deal considering that the ORAS demo gave two completely different Mega Evolutions depending on the territory. :p

The very moment I saw the Greninja in the video, I knew. In fact, I caught myself shouting, "That's how we're getting him!" I just knew the second I saw the Greninja that yep, Ash-Greninja was in the game. It was just so freaking obvious to me it wasn't even funny.

At least it's confirmed as in-game now.

I'd be fine with something similar to ash-greninja as a reference to it, but having it look like ash, have ash in its name, and having it not used by ash is just... weird. Really weird.

We're not playing as Ash so we shouldn't have our bond with a pokemon turn it into something that resembles Ash. Anime Pandering to the max.

I actually learned soemthing about this, it's a super lame lost in translation thing.
Ash's name is Satoshi in the original Japanese version, which means "enlightened"

So, Satsohi-Greninja would basically mean Enlightened Greninja while referring to the owner as well. Just a bit of something lost in translation. However, the it seems we've only retaned the ownership part of Satoshi, not much of the enlightened.

I have no way to confirm any truth, other than searching up what Satoshi means, but it seems pretty solid.

Something just occurred to me regarding Ash-Greninja. Since there are hints that it came from Ash, do you think it'll have the same moves that Ash's Greninja does? In other words, will its starting arsenal contain Water Shuriken, Aerial Ace, Cut, and Double Team? I haven't watched the other versions of the trailer yet, and I know that in another battle (outside of the demo) Ash-Greninja used Ice Beam, but do you think that this Greninja will start out with the same moves that Ash's has?

I actually learned soemthing about this, it's a super lame lost in translation thing.
Ash's name is Satoshi in the original Japanese version, which means "enlightened"

So, Satsohi-Greninja would basically mean Enlightened Greninja while referring to the owner as well. Just a bit of something lost in translation. However, the it seems we've only retaned the ownership part of Satoshi, not much of the enlightened.

I have no way to confirm any truth, other than searching up what Satoshi means, but it seems pretty solid.
That's a cool idea but in the anime it is as simple as this: Bonnie simply combined the names of the trainer and Pokemon (Ash + Greninja) to have a name for the new form and Ash went with it lol. Clemont called Bonnie out on such a crappy nickname.

That's a cool idea but in the anime it is as simple as this: Bonnie simply combined the names of the trainer and Pokemon (Ash + Greninja) to have a name for the new form and Ash went with it lol. Clemont called Bonnie out on such a crappy nickname.

Well, of course. There was no other way to go about it.

Not bad, it is a great idea to make the demo more interesting. I'm glad they will not expand the Ash-Greninja idea to other pokemon.

Ash will remain young even after 1000 years :)

I personally don't think Ash-Greninja really belongs in the games, and it feels a bit weird that it would go full on Battle Bond mode with a different trainer. Perhaps it feels Ash's bond through the player in some magical mystery way because the player is special.

In any case, I'm not too bothered by it, it just feels a bit strange at the moment. Free Pokemon I guess!

Okay, I am now convinced that Ash-Greninja is going to become a dimension hopper after leaving Ash, allowing it to be the same character and appear in various Pokémon media. I mean ORAS basically confirmed the Pokémon multiverse, so why not go the full mile?

Okay, I am now convinced that Ash-Greninja is going to become a dimension hopper after leaving Ash, allowing it to be the same character and appear in various Pokémon media. I mean ORAS basically confirmed the Pokémon multiverse, so why not go the full mile?

So Pokémon's own Ryo Akiyama? :p

I'm really happy that we finally have closure on Ash-Greninja. I couldn't have imagined a different way for it to be included in the games, so I am satisfied with the method of obtaining it.

It does seem rather strange that our player character will have the ability to form a bond and wield the power of a Pokemon in the image of Ash, so i'll be interested to see if there is more than currently meets the eye - for example we get a physical Ash cameo/reference in-game when it is in the player's party.

Another idea that I had was that Sun and Moon's character customisation will extend to having costumes for select anime characters for the 20th Anniversary. It would feel more natural to call upon Ash-Greninja with an Ash avatar, after all.

Nice to have this news nonetheless. I'd probably say it has been my most anticipated feature to discover since Ash-Greninja was revealed so long ago in September 2015.

I tell you one thing, I'll be more than a little annoyed if this new ability replaces Protean. I'd rather use that.

It does seem rather strange that our player character will have the ability to form a bond and wield the power of a Pokemon in the image of Ash, so i'll be interested to see if there is more than currently meets the eye - for example we get a physical Ash cameo/reference in-game when it is in the player's party.
I personally think Ash-Greninja is going to become a multiverse traveler, and the one we get is a time-space copy of some sort due to Ash-Greninja viewing our player as worthy of its power. That's the only way this'll make sense. We need a multiverse traveler in Pokémon already!

Just to hypothesizes what Ash-Greninja's stats are gonna be I'm gonna guess it's gonna get the mega 100 base stat points. So something like this which would put it around 630 BST
HP: 72
ATK:120 +25
DEF:77 +10
SPA:130 +27
SPD:81 +10
SPE:150 +28

Last edited:
I tell you one thing, I'll be more than a little annoyed if this new ability replaces Protean. I'd rather use that.
The ability seems exclusive to demo Greninja, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom