• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash/Satoshi's Win Percentage in each Region + Popular Myth debunked.

Source:

Last edited:
I always knew that Ash's Kalos win percentage was garbage; even without analyzing every single one of his XY battles, you could tell just by memory that his losses were piling up throughout those 3 years. And look at that, my boi BW!Ash wasn't so bad after all. Everyone who called BW!Ash a loser, come collect your L.

I always knew that Ash's Kalos win percentage was garbage; even without analyzing every single one of his XY battles, you could tell just by memory that his losses were piling up throughout those 3 years. And look at that, my boi BW!Ash wasn't so bad after all. Everyone who called BW!Ash a loser, come collect your L.

Are you being sarcastic? I hope you are lol.

to be fair, Kalos ash fought much stronger opponents (and those losses were only really piled in year 3, IIRC he went on undefeated throughout all of year 2 and did pretty well in year 1)

I don't agree with some of the criteria that was used to judge Ash's battles though. Some of it seems nit-picky.

According to the Google Doc, Ash should have 8 losses in Alola though? That would put his win percentage in Alola at 60% rather than 75%, right?

Rule 1: Competition.

So.... Ash's wins and losses outside non-competitions aren't counted. Considering Kalos had only 1 competition outside gyms and league and Unova had the most, you cannot make an accurate list.
A tag battle technically cannot be counted towards a full win either, since he didn't do it alone.

Rule 1: Competition.

So.... Ash's wins and losses outside non-competitions aren't counted. Considering Kalos had only 1 competition outside gyms and league and Unova had the most, you cannot make an accurate list.
A tag battle technically cannot be counted towards a full win either, since he didn't do it alone.
I don't think they mean competition as in tournament, at least specifically. It probably just refers to Pokémon and trainers competing against each other by using their attacks and whatnot, independent on context, as long as both parties agree.

"Rule 4: If a battle was interrupted right before it ended or the result did not get an official declaration the is still counted."
Why is this counting unfinished battles? That makes no sense.
To be fair, that only applies to 4 battles in OS according to the document.

This is semi-interesting to see, but such a massive oversimplification, considering the massive variation in quality of opponents, as well as types of battles, etc. It is really silly to use this data to say any particular team was better than another, but of course it always happens, just like people compare league finishes to each other based on rank without considering quality...

The most interesting part to see is the number of battles, which has been dropping rather rapidly including during XY, which people (who didn't probably watch it) claim was a battle-heavy series. It has actually dropped every series, if you combine Gen 1 and 2 on the chart (which admittedly is more episodes than other series, but by themselves are less). Unova would be the exception on a battle/episode basis. I always felt like this was happening, but it is interesting to see it in numbers.

I would argue the ones with the lowest win %s were probably the series with the most battle development. Its not really the most important part of the series to me, but to those that really appreciate the battle quest, I think those tend to be the preferred series (that being DP and XY) and they had the highest league finishes in the most competitive leagues. Losses against better trainers aren't really a bad thing, and being challenged isn't a bad thing.

So I would hope most people don't look at this thing and decide the highest win % = best team, because that is quite silly (similar to how that chart with individual Pokemon win %s that came out a few years ago), but it is still interesting to take a look at it.

Oh did he mention anywhere what he did with Trio battles? I would hope he left them out since they are about 99.9% wins and would just skew the data depending on which series had more, but I didn't see mention of it.

Oh did he mention anywhere what he did with Trio battles? I would hope he left them out since they are about 99.9% wins and would just skew the data depending on which series had more, but I didn't see mention of it.
I was curious about this too, just had a quick peek at the raw data used. I can only count 10-or-so battles there across the series listed as against Musashi or Kojiro, and they seem to be outings such as the Tokiwa City gym battle, the Pika/Mimi supermarket showdown, the boys vs girls tag battle, Pokeringer and the practice battles he had when Sabonea was trying to learn Drain Punch. Probably their rule about both parties consenting comes into play with the majority of TRio battles after they’ve nicked Pikachu/assorted friends.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom