• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash...(spoilers for latest Japanese episode)

^ Quagbert, that's exactly what I was trying to tell everyone in that one thread, when people were speculating that Ash would accept the offer.

I knew that he would decline it, because he knows there are stronger trainers out there who he'd like to battle, so he could get even closer to becoming a Pokemon Master. ^_^

He is stupid, rejecting offer like that? And as for May, it's perfect excuse to get rid of her.

Trainer-c, congrats for your 1337th post xD

BTW, in Poland "Won" means "Go away" ;-)

Lol, I didn't even notice it! And I posted after it, curses. XD

I am actually pretty excited to see this episode for myself, hopefully the animation isn't as bad as it was in the last episode... (Bulbasaur on hindlegs makes James' Chimehco cry.)

I think the solution is to have Hikari be the main character in d/p and travel and get all of her badges and enter the Shin'ou league finals. Then, at the tournament, have her meet Satoshi who it turns out was traveling in Shin'ou all along (just not in the spotlight of the anime). At that point, Hikari could lose in a semi-early round, while Satoshi advances to the finals and wins.

Satoshi finally gets his league championship, and by no longer being the main character we don't have to worry about him having to "start from scratch" to get more badges, nor do we have to worry about the show getting boring because he's already "won" and there's not much left to do.

I think the solution is to have Hikari be the main character in d/p and travel and get all of her badges and enter the Shin'ou league finals. Then, at the tournament, have her meet Satoshi who it turns out was traveling in Shin'ou all along (just not in the spotlight of the anime). At that point, Hikari could lose in a semi-early round, while Satoshi advances to the finals and wins.

Satoshi finally gets his league championship, and by no longer being the main character we don't have to worry about him having to "start from scratch" to get more badges, nor do we have to worry about the show getting boring because he's already "won" and there's not much left to do.

I'd love that.

Stuck in a rut

Satoshi finally gets his league championship, and by no longer being the main character we don't have to worry about him having to "start from scratch" to get more badges
I have to say that there is a real danger that the use of the character of Ash is in danger of getting stuck in a rut. Since the beginning it has just been "New region, get eight badges, compete in League and lose after progressing quite far". I would like to see the animé try something different, perhaps have someone else on the badge quest.

Since Ash has beaten the Battle Frontier, perhaps it would be appropriate for him to be automatically qualified for the next League in any region so that he doesn't have to collect the eight gym badges. That way we can focus on the new character of Hikari and Ash can be more like Brock - a semi-background mentor character.

So you're saying Ash will become a pointless sidekick character? Uh, I don't see that. Brock was treated poorly in AG, he barely ever got any spotlight. Why would they do that to Ash?

And they already had Ash mentoring May, it would be moronic to rehash that with Hikari.

Brock was treated better in Ag then he was in Johto.

^^^^
That is one of the most likely theories I've heard....

Its better then the....

OMG! HIKARI IS A MAY REPLACEMENT! THE SHOW SUZORZ!

Hahahah....WRONG!

I trust in The Heart of The Writers, and they NEVER LET ME DOWN! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BELIEVE, DAMNIT, BELIVE!

Could still be different

So you're saying Ash will become a pointless sidekick character? Uh, I don't see that. Brock was treated poorly in AG, he barely ever got any spotlight. Why would they do that to Ash?
Because The Powers That Be have already shown total contempt for all of the characters in preference to increasing the sales of Nintendo's newest wares. ;-)

Seriously, Brock and Misty were sometimes used as expositors of Pokémon lore in the first few series. Ash could be well used in the same way as "the guy who has already walked a mile in those shoes", assuming that they are willing to make the character mature a bit.
And they already had Ash mentoring May, it would be moronic to rehash that with Hikari.
I got the impression that the 'mentoring' in AG died an early death and the decision was made to have May spontaneously get a clue. From what I have seen of the early AG episodes, Max did more to teach May than Ash did. In any case, it became irrelevant when May decided that she wanted to be a Coordinator rather than a fighting Trainer. At that point, Ash ceased to have anything relevant to teach her.

I'd like to see the "Ash as a mentor" concept done properly.

Last edited:
Ash pretty much taught May that blasting off Team Rocket is righteous.

That's it.

I got the impression that the 'mentoring' in AG died an early death and the decision was made to have May spontaneously get a clue. From what I have seen of the early AG episodes, Max did more to teach May than Ash did.

You would be wrong, then. Ash mentored May thoughout all of AG. Obviously he did it a lot less in the later episodes because May was experienced, but they regularly had training sessions or have Ash come to May's aid when she needed him.

I'd like to see the "Ash as a mentor" concept done properly.

That would require Ash to be a boring sidekick character. I don't see that happening.

Opinion =/= fact

That would require Ash to be a boring sidekick character. I don't see that happening.
This is rapidly turning into a contest of opinions. You clearly have decided in advance that having Ash and Hikari in a master/apprentice relationship would make him a 'boring side-kick character'. I, on the other hand, do not. However, as this is just my opinion against yours, I don't think that there is any point debating it...

Unless you like treating your opinion as canon fact; I know that I find it fun on occasion, if slightly frustrating.

It just isn't likely for Ash to stand there and do nothing and just give Hikari "advice." He's going to want to compete in Gyms himself, not stand there with his arms crossed.

He's not like Brock.

Oh, Ash will have plenty to do, what with having to test himself against the new/unique Pokémon of the Shinou region (and can someone please tell me if I'm spelling that right). He will probably also take the lead against Jessie, James and the villains of the region (Team Galaxy?).

In the end, I just want to see the character get out of the rut that he seems to have been in since the first episode and do something else other than competing for yet another eight badges. It would be great to have him escape from being a 'learner' and start acting like a Trainer who has already proven his fundamental ability and now wishes to progress towards a Mastery.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom