• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash Vs Cynthia

I didn't know you could see the future. You know what happens when you assume.

Sceptile could run circles around Bulbasaur...yet it was brought back for Brandon instead. Bringing back Pokemon just to prove some backward ass point to some western fans is retarded, and you know it.

Lol. Duckgon, no matter how much we try we can't change Scott's opinions.

You can't really compare Cyndaquil and Charizard because they were two completely different pokemon... I (and a lot of fans) liked Charizard because of his entire character developpement, the fact that he didn't listen to Ash and ended up being one of his most trusted pokemon... Cyndaquil on the other end had a much more laidback personnality, had problems keeping his flames up and running, but learned to get fired up faster and stronger due to Ash... I liked them both, it's possible Scott to like pokemon two fire starters, or three without comparing them to the others...

Same for Ash's grass type starters and Water type starters... Actually, a lot of people liked totodile more than they liked Squirtle, cause he had more personnality and was all around funnier...

Plus, stop assuming that the Kanto starters were given goodbye episodes cause the writers felt we cared more about them... They were given goodbye episodes cause the writers (like the game designers) didn't know how to handle a new region so they let Kanto pokemon overshadow the Johto ones... Actually, one could make the opposite argument, saying that the reason Ash didn't bring any of his old pokemon to Hoenn, cause the writers realized the audience didn't respond much to Ash bringing his Kanto pokemon to Johto... so the writers realized they didn't need to reely on older pokemon in Hoenn so they just had ash keep his pikachu...

Sorry to all the people who told me to not reply to Scott again, I'm bored and I feel like doing it XD

The reason Ash's older Pokemon will be used is because they need to finally get screentime.

The reason Ash's JOHTO (+few non-mascot other gens) Pokemon will be used is because they need to finally get screentime. AND because avertising reasons exist for them to get the spotlight right now.

Didn't we say the reason Bulba/Squirtle/Charizard, Sceptile/Swellow, and maybe Heracross/Kingler were excluded from the Sinnoh league is because they're saving them for the Elite 4 matches?

Didn't we say the reason Bulba/Squirtle/Charizard, Sceptile/Swellow, and maybe Heracross should be excluded from the whole DP series is because they're mascots of something they have no reasons to advertise right now? and because all of them got tons of screentime recently enough, some of them even to the point a lot of fans don't want to see again in the near future?

While I'm sure his Sinnoh team will be used to, I truly believe the Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon will make a big comeback for the Elite 4. We'll likely see Glalie used again too.

While I'm sure his Sinnoh team will be mainly used in League/E4/BF, I truly believe the Johto Pokemon will make a big comeback and help. We'll likely see Glalie used again too.

...Wow, I'm laughing so much XD
This + Scott's "insult" post in the Pokéthlon thread... XD

I don't think there were a lot of people here that said his Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon were being saved for these supposed Elite Four matches other than you.

No, that was pretty much just you

XDDDDD
Yeah, Scott, EVERYONE clearly agree with you!

The idea is to feature the Johto Pokemon closer to HGSS release, which is the Sinnoh league,

*facepalm* The E4 would probably be immediately after the League, so it'd be around the same time...
Also, the whole DP series is clearly focusing on gens 2 and 4 just like the whole AG series clearly focused on gens 3 and 1
No matter if you like it or not

This entire generation won't go by without Ash bringing back his most popular fan-favorite Pokemon at some point.

The Johto Pokemon were originally ignored for like 8 years, (all of AG, all of DP until the league), but an 8 year gap for popular Pokemon like his Kanto/Hoenn teams won't happen.

I won't repeat the true reasons to why the Kanto starters returned when they did and why the Johto team didn't until now
You know the real reason

And no, there's no such a thing as "most popular fan favorite"

I remember the anime ones taking a lot of flak for coming after Ash's Kanto team.

Most of the target audience (=young kids who watch for fun like you should do and never overanalyze thigns the way you do) simply watched and enjoyed
They liked the Johto starters just as much as everything else
Kids like what's new and at the time Johto was new they did like the Johto Poké - and I remind that NOW Johto is NEW again and the Johto mascots WILL be HEAVILY advertised to this target audience

Cyndaquil had no hope of reaching Charizard's level of popularity,

I'll take Cynda over Chari every day
Even Torkoal is better
I like Chari, but they made me sick of it at the same time... and you have to admit most of the older fans like us ARE sick of the Kanto starters... and as I said the young fans like what's new and that's Johto right now

Squirtle was always vastly preferred to Totodile

Toto > Squirt
I don't care what you or anyone else say
(and I LOVE Squirt)

while some people liked Bayleef, Bulbasaur lasted 3/4ths through Johto because of its popularity.

False, you know the true reason
Also, Bayleef >>>>>> Bulbasaur

Noctowl is like 345634634623464635623 times better than Pidgeotto

Hoenn Pokemon got a goodbye in the last Battle Frontier episode

Oh wow a few seconds scene of all the Poké standing together!!!!11111
Did you ever stop to think that back in AG they had the Chronicles episodes and knew that we're going to see them again soon? while the AG team wasn't as lucky to get these eps
Also, the writing simply improved since then so at the end of AG they knew how to write it better than the end of Johto (which is also why the Johto team will be showcased as stronger and why they probably wouldn't let the Kanto trio steal the spotlight again)

I also don't understand what Cynda can do compared to Infernape

Ok, so I don't get what Squirtle can do compared to Buizel, or Chari compared to Infernape or Bulbasaur compared to Torterra

The true answer, which you already know is that the writers play with a Poké strength to fit what's convenient for them now, which is exactly what they'll do (and what they did with the Kanto starters)

Last edited:
To answer the initial question of this thread, I think it's possible that Ash will battle or won't battle Cynthia. Depends on what the writers will do. We have seen more mention of the E4 in the Sinnoh region so Ash could face them and Cynthia but we'll just have to wait and see after the Sinnoh league (and that's not for quite awhile too).

As to who Ash will use against Cynthia...it depends as well. The writers will just put up any pokemon they feel like against Cynthia which could be any pokemon. I mean we know Pikachu will most likely be in that battle but it all depends on what the writers wanna do and who they want to match up in battle.

If Ash were to face the Elite 4 and Cynthia, my guess? Well the Elite 4 have 20 pokemon total, 26 counting Cynthia's. Ash has 24 pokemon. If Ash does use his Johto starters and Noctowl in the Sinnoh League then maybe, imo, they'll take a backseat for the possible E4 matches so then Ash has 20 pokemon against the E4's 20. Then Ash will just pick 6 pokemon to face Cynthia whoever they may be.

Either way, the writers will at least try to get most of Ash's pokemon to participate against the E4/Cynthia when such an event arises.

Does it say Pikachu's level is restarted at the end of every region? No. Watch the last few episodes of a series, and the beginning few of the next one. You'll see Pikachu go from Uber to about weak. They can't keep him super strong, or Ash would just blow through all the gyms and the show wouldn't be exciting. Or maybe all of the wild Pokemon in Hoenn and Sinnoh are just naturally level 100, but I highly doubt it. I shouldn't really have to post the episode links, as anyone who has seen more than one series, should have noticed this.

:3 again there is really no such things as levels in the anime, why do people need to keep repeating this? Pikachu is toned down by the writers, he doesn't restart from lvl 100 to lvl 1.

I cant believe some of u r arguing so much about what pokemon Ash is going to use against the elite four, whereas we don't even know if Ash will battle the elite four at all

What we do know is that because of HGGS, The Johto pokemon will likely be reutrning, whether its in the league or in the battle frontier. Since both the Kanto pokemon (except Kingler) and Hoenn ones were used fairly recently, it's only fair that the Johto ones get to battle before the Hoenn or Kanto ones.

I want to know one thing: why so many people think Ash will use his older Pokémon in league. We are not in Johto and writers already know better than that. Though let's admit in Johto, writers screwed Ash's team seriously so they simply must brought Ash's older Pokémon, otherwise Ash would have been absolutely no chance in league. But now, we are in much different situation. In the time league will begin, Ash will have what will be his strongest Pokémon team ever, so what will be the point to replace it with older Pokémon (and especially these from Johto)? Do you seriously think writers are stupid enough to do such thing?

I want to know one thing: why so many people think Ash will use his older Pokémon in league. We are not in Johto and writers already know better than that. Though let's admit in Johto, writers screwed Ash's team seriously so they simply must brought Ash's older Pokémon, otherwise Ash would have been absolutely no chance in league. But now, we are in much different situation. In the time league will begin, Ash will have what will be his strongest Pokémon team ever, so what will be the point to replace it with older Pokémon (and especially these from Johto)? Do you seriously think writers are stupid enough to do such thing?

"Greatest Everyday" says hi.

And? So, Ash's older Pokémon were in opening. So what? Still no proof for me. Anything else anyone?

Personally, I don't really care if Ash fights Cynthia or even if he actually manages to challenge the Elite 4. As long as he at least makes it to the top 4 instead of staying at the top 8 again, I'll be content.

However, IF we have to assume that Ash is to fight Cynthia, then her roster is definitely going to be Garchomp, Milotic, Gastrodon, Roserade, Spiritomb, and Lucario, seeing how she was shown to be battling Galactic grunts with Gastrodon in the Celestic town two-parter.

For Ash's roster, he'll probably use the strongest pokemon that he can utilize (I mean, using his Sinnoh pokemon in the league is one thing, but to use the Sinnoh pokemon against the Elite 4 is just suicide, as barring Pikachu, none of them even have the experience level to have a chance at fighting the Elite 4.). Going by recent evidence, he'll use Pikachu, Bayleaf (since, let's face it, if they aren't going to use Sceptile, they might as well use another pokemon that might stand a chance against the E4, experience wise, and the only other pokemon that might have a chance would be Bayleef. Reserve pokemon tend to train at Oak's lab, anyways, so it's not like they're not just rotting in a pokeball. I'm not quite certain about Bulbasaur, though. He drew against one of Brandon's pokemon, who is implied to be one of the strongest trainers in the world, and even implied to be stronger than even a regional champion, so I kinda doubt that Bulbasaur would really stand that much of a chance against Cynthia, and this is despite his training.), Charizard (It has power, speed, and experience on its side, and while Cyndaquil has experience, I'm not too certain about power and speed, especially in comparison of an Elite-4 member.), Noctowl (It would at least manage to fend off against Spiritomb, besides, as stated before, reserve pokemon do train at Oak's lab.), and, well in terms of likeliness and definitely in my mind, that's all I can think of. I haven't decided on what Water Pokemon he'll use, as it's hard to determine which one would be stronger. And the sixth pokemon is also hard to determine as well, although if Gible pulls a Mamoswine or a Charizard and evolves into Garchomp really quickly, then, while it might not have the experience level, it might at least compensate in terms of dealing at least some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp, due to the fact that they are relatively even matched, type wise. Won't be much, but still.

It might also be Pikachu who might beat Garchomp, as unlike Torterra, it actually had an additional two regions under it's belt (Orange Islands and Technically the Battle Frontier.), plus, it already took down a Regice (especially notable as that time, it actually did defeat it in battle rather than just simply delivering the final blow.). Besides, at least in Kanto, it's implied that a pokemon's immunity to a certain type is only determined by said pokemon's level. This is especially apparent in Ash's battle against Brock. In Ash's first battle against Brock, Pikachu's electric attack couldn't even make Onix flinch. However, in the rematch after Pikachu's electricity became supercharged, it knocked out Geodude in one hit, and it even made Onix react in pain to his electric attacks (and that was before the sprinklers even went off, BTW.). Seeing how Pikachu would have stored more electricity now, as well as the experience level it is pretty much at, I wouldn't be surprised if it did manage to topple Cynthia's Gastrodon, at least, if not Garchomp.

I'm not much of a fanboy in regards to his pokemon or anything, I'm just predicting likely outcomes based solely off of equations.

Besides, at least in Kanto,.
That's just it though. The thing about relying on decade old material is that it's not likely to hold up after time. We've seen Pikachu shock ground type pokemon several times since he faced Brock, and, particulary in this series, it's always been adressed according to the game rules. In the recent Gible episode even, Pikachu let out a hefty electric attack and didn't phase Gible in the slightest. And then you've got Iron Island and Roark's Onix and etc. etc. Doesn't matter how it went down ten years ago, as they're obviously not sticking to it now.

That's just it though. The thing about relying on decade old material is that it's not likely to hold up after time. We've seen Pikachu shock ground type pokemon several times since he faced Brock, and, particulary in this series, it's always been adressed according to the game rules. In the recent Gible episode even, Pikachu let out a hefty electric attack and didn't phase Gible in the slightest. And then you've got Iron Island and Roark's Onix and etc. etc. Doesn't matter how it went down ten years ago, as they're obviously not sticking to it now.

Well, he obviously shocked Roark's Onix, and I doubt that static should even affect Onix, seeing how, if it was a Ground type, and thus absolutely immune to electric types, then static should not affect it at all.

Personally, I feel that he'll be using his strongest pokemon. He can't possibly fell that his Sinnoh Team will be able to allow him to win. Sure, we might use Monferno and maybe, maybe starraptor, as well as Pikachu, but that's it. Bulbasaur is stronger, to me, than Ash's current grass type. It's had a much better track record, and even beat some of Brandon's pokemon. It's either Bulbasaur or Sceptile being used. Either one is a good choice. Maybe even both. Anyways, Charizard will most likely be used, since it's his main powerhouse, and has more than proven itself. SO yeah, I see a combo between those pokemon I mentioned.

Well. Ash might not have a chance against Cynthia right now. But he will duel her win he defeated the Sinnoh Elite Four.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom