• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Ash vs. Game!Red

Thirteen words: Everything else but the Battle Frontier, which really shouldn't count as a league.

Yeah, but they've still had the same number of League wins, with Ash somewhat "winning" with the Battle Frontier.

But the thing is, the Orange League is a filler region with only four gyms rather than the usual eight. It's pretty reasonable to say that they're not quite as challenging.

And, IIRC, there wasn't a tournament at the end of the Orange League.

PokeSpe!Red is a good character, but Game!Red is a faceless boss who just stands there to be defeated. Pff...

Anime!Ash got strong now, the writers need freaking legendary spam to NOT let him win in League. At the other hand, DengekiPika!Ash is still better.

And I still call all Reds (except Isamu) "Ash".

It's pretty reasonable to say that they're not quite as challenging.
It's not. There is no information about OI being an "easier league".

Just like in the games! :) Imagine having to win a bunch PvP battles in the row before you can actually challenge the Elite Four.
IMO, using tournaments and not direct E4-challenges is a mistake of the anime, but oh well.

But the thing is, the Orange League is a filler region with only four gyms rather than the usual eight. It's pretty reasonable to say that they're not quite as challenging.

Point taken.

Then again, Red didn't have to fight a Trainer with three Regis.

Ash resets EVERY region (his pikachu does too) and Red doesn't.

Winner: Red.

Also, look at the pole, Ash 33 < Red 133

Re: Ash vs Red

Which Red are you referring to? Manga or games? Either way they seem more competent as trainers than Ash was to me, so my vote is for either of the reds over Ash.

Red no doubt, Why? because he's more epic and actually ''tries" to catch legendary pkmn

Red because he is plain awesome.
1. He goes off on an adventure and becomes champion unlike ash.
2. He has awesome pokemon
3. He gets his pokemon to attack you as soon as you see him on mount silver and when you win he disappears like magic!

Red has some integrity to him, as he is actually quite strategic and tactical. He thinks about what moves he makes in battle and in the games he is actually somewhat challenging.

Ash has zero integrity and wins a lot of his battles by luck and chance. He has no idea what he is doing, where he is, or even who he is XD

Red is a better battler for sure but I prefer Ash as a person. Ash may be dumb but he is a very caring and honest person who won't just stand by while an innocent pokemon gets abused by people like Team Rocket/Galactic, etc. He doesn't force his pokemon to evolve either and respects their wishes when they want to be released. In terms of the games at least, we know next to nothing about Red's personality or if he even cares abou the feelings of his own pokemon. So my overall vote goes to Ash.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Red is the better protagonist, because you were Red during your playthrough on Gen 1, and you turn him into the powerhouse he is now. Unfortunately, he needs a bit of improvement on his movesets. Ash could've surpassed Red if the writers didn't reset his entire character in Best Wishes.

Re: Ash vs. Red

Even though Red is overrated by particularly rabid fan boys/girls too much, so is Ash to be perfectly honest. And Red automatically wins by not being Ash.

Besides, he's still got the highest level team in-game, and although it isn't the best team that's because his team was based off the plots of the games and so had to have things like Pikachu (because it's a mascot), the three starters with the elemental hyper beams, and somewhat plot-related Snorlax/Lapras. He's also the league champion (Lance being the champion at the league doesn't mean anything, it's like becoming the champion and yet the previous champion is still there for a rematch).

He has his own backstory, and he's deliberately not given much characterization for the player's benefit in RBY and FRLG.

I dislike Red because if he exists, Leaf doesn't. :(

Part of why I like him so much 8D

I don't like either at all, but I guess Red. Although I guess Ash was okay in Diamond and Pearl.

I am a total Red supporter. I think he's a better trainer than Ash is. Ash says he wants to be a Pokemon Master, but he doesn't have much to say for it. He has like a handful of Pokemon. All around, I just don't like Ash.

Besides, I have a badass Red sig, not Ash sig.

Perhaps Red just didn't see much of a point in staying as the champion. The Gen I manual says that he "became interested in Pokemon after his rival Blue stopped playing with him". It seems more like Red went on a journey because he missed the old Blue, the Blue who used to be his friend, and perhaps wanted to remind him of this while Blue was so blinded with the concept of being the next champion. Leaving the league would also present a more humble personality to Red.

Anyway, that's one of the things why I like Red. He started his journey because he missed his childhood friend, and not so much because he wanted to become the best. Now don't misread into this or anything, I'm not a NamelessShipper, I just believe that the two were/are really good friends.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom