• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash vs Sawyer or Ash vs Alain?

The Better Battle

• Ash vs Alain

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Ash vs Sawyer

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters
The first half of Ash vs Alain is actually quite decent, I prefer it to Alain vs nobody Trevor and Tierno vs Sawyer. It has decent strategies and good animation.

However, Ash vs Sawyer is more solid overall. It has a very strong beginning, where we see Hawlucha and Talonflame falling quickly because Sawyer has studied them carefully. The ties were a bit forced but enjoyable. The last battle had good animation, but I still think it should've lasted more.

I'm gonna go with the Ash/Sawyer fight for the sole reason that in the Japanese version Sawyer has the same voice as Pikachu and TonyTonyChopper! Also he's one of my favorite rivals.

Out of the two, Ash vs. Sawyer is the better match for me as well. It had a pretty solid start, good strategies on both side and it was a good conclusion to their rivalry. The last match in particular was pretty neat. I don't think it's the best battle of the Kalos League. It's close, but having two draws in a row brought it down for me. It's still an all around solid battle and I can see why people often see it as the best battle of the Kalos League, but two draws in a row just felt too lazy or at least too much of an attempt to rush through the second half of the match. I still like Sawyer vs. Tierno the most. While the match was ultimately a means to hype up Sawyer before he faced off against Ash again, they didn't throw Tierno under a bus like they did with Trevor. Both sides had good strategies and they didn't have Mega Sceptile crush Tierno's entire team.

Despite its controversial conclusion, I don't think that Ash vs. Alain is a bad match. It was still engaging, both sides were pretty even right up until the end and I think Ash put in a good showing all things considered. Alain's team wasn't particularly noteworthy, although part of that also comes from how they overhyped his Charizard for most of the series, and only half of Ash's Pokemon won battles in that match. Having Pikachu defeat two of Alain's Pokemon also felt like a bit much. I'm not sure if Ash winning would have drastically improved the battle, but I also don't think becoming the Kalos League Champion would have significantly improved the arc for me. That being said, I can still understand why people were upset. I just finished the Kalos League on my XY rewatch recently and it really doesn't look like Greninja took nearly as much damage as Charizard did. That might not have been too bad if Charizard still looked exhausted after winning, but it looked completely fine, which just made fans even more upset.

I always think that the trio shana trover and Tierno are the best friends and rivals with the millie serena's rival then Sawyer

Ash vs Sawyer, although Goodra vs Slurpuff and Noivern vs Salamence were disappointing, Pikachu vs Aegislash made up for them.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom