• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's 'disciples'

Srebak

Reaction score
Goku from DBZ had his two sons; Gohan and Goten

Naruto had Konohamaru

And Ussop from One Piece had those young boys

So, I have to ask, who would count as Ash's 'students'? What young characters has he inspired to aspire for greatness? Which ones would call him their mentor?

Is this even a question? Max, followed by May and Dawn.

He definitely inspired Max, and had a large influence in May, Dawn's contest/battle performances.

Shota looks up to Ash after Steven Stone. So that's saying something.

There was a kid in the Advance series that called him "master". Lol.

On the Pokemon side, I think he had quite an impact with Goodra, Pidgiot and Squirtle

Thatcher was his name, and he was one of many CODs that Ash inspired.

Max, May, and Dawn are all valid choices as well as Scottie, but I would add Serena to that list as well. She did start her journey because of him, and she quotes Ash on a more frequent basis than most characters.

Max, May, and Dawn are all valid choices as well as Scottie, but I would add Serena to that list as well. She did start her journey because of him, and she quotes Ash on a more frequent basis than most characters.

Ah so that's his name, and Serena is definitely a valid choice.

Clemont is another option as well. He basically wanted to travel with Ash in order to gain knowledge and inspiration from him.

Imo, Ash doesn't deserve one since he himself isn't always competent. Though I suppose Shota is the closest for now.

The entire XY group, may, max, dawn, that kid in AG, shota and who knows how many to come? Ash has his fair share of fans.

Would that kid who caught that Bellsprout during the Johto saga count?

I am with you, however max with brock mostly, and shota also

Imo, Ash doesn't deserve one since he himself isn't always competent.
What sort of reasoning is this? Is there anyone in this world who is always competent?!
It's just that if I was looking for a mentor in the Pokemon world, I'd much sooner want to learn from an elite trainer than Ash.
The truth is though that whether in that world or this, you don't need a mentor who is at an elite level unless you yourself are nearly elite. Imagine if every rookie trainer approached the champions only for mentoring! Satoshi is a more than adequate mentor for beginning-moderate level trainers, being near enough their stage to remember the struggles faced at that level but also having a bunch of championship tournaments under his belt.

I agree with ii kanji, there s something to be said for the inspiring character being someone who also struggles and overcomes obstacles. Having an already-established elite trainer (say an E4 or champion) is a bit easy cause they re already at the top, whereas an aspiring trainer like Ash, who never gives up, always goes forward, never lets defeat stop him and overcomes his own shortcomings is much more inspiring (in my opinion), or at least equally interesting.

I've read what everyone has said and here are my thoughts. I agree Max/Masato, May/Haruka, Dawn/Hikari and Serena are most likely choices. Scottie/Shōta is more of a blooming rival and is listed as a rival on the wiki. Clemont/Citron is just a friend with a lot of admiration for him. the one episode characters don't seem likely as they never show up again.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom