• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Ash's four Alola League opponents revealed

Rath

Reaction score
UR4cls2.jpg

He'll be facing Ilima, Hau, Gladion, and Guzma. One of them in the Top 16, one in the Top 8 (Quarter-Finals), one in the Top 4 (Semi-Finals), and one in the Finals.

Last edited:
This means that Ash won't fight Kiawe though, basically making Kiawe the Barry/Tierno of Alola

I could see Ash facing Gladion in the finals since he's met him more than once during the course of the series. There isn't a huge rivalry in SM regardless, but he has had two battles against Gladion, which is more than he's had with any of these other characters. Guzma being his final opponent wouldn't be a huge stretch though, especially if it does connect with whatever storyline they have planned for Team Skull.

It's just a shame that Hau and Guzma were introduced so late into SM and Ash barely had any interaction with them. More appearances would help to flesh them out and make their battles against Ash much more meaningful. As it stands, I kind of wonder why they bothered to include Hau this late into the game. They could have just as easily given another character a Dartrix and Decidudeye instead and the impact would have been about the same.

I could see Ash facing Gladion in the finals since he's met him more than once during the course of the series. There isn't a huge rivalry in SM regardless, but he has had two battles against Gladion, which is more than he's had with any of these other characters. Guzma being his final opponent wouldn't be a huge stretch though, especially if it does connect with whatever storyline they have planned for Team Skull.
I really hoped that Gladion was the finalist, Gladion and Guzma’s is the only order I’m not 100% convinced about. I put Guzma higher because he’d probably be closer to battling Masked Royal/Kukui due to their long standing rivalry and up the stakes a bit for him.

16:ash vs Illima 3v3
Hau and gladion and guzma and kiawe smash team rocket and shophocles and mallow
8 :ash vs hau 3v3
Gladion is sawyer and kiawe is tierno (every rival should defeat a fake rival) guzma and plumeria defeat lilie and lana
4 :ash vs gladion 6v6
Guzma vs plumeria
2 :ash vs guzma
And the exhibition match ash defeats MR, okay it's half impossible but who knows?
And since this series is ending soon , why not evolve rowlet against hau before stocking it proffessor Oak's lab

I really hoped that Gladion was the finalist, Gladion and Guzma’s is the only order I’m not 100% convinced about. I put Guzma higher because he’d probably be closer to battling Masked Royal/Kukui due to their long standing rivalry and up the stakes a bit for him.
As long as ash and gladion have a full 6 on 6 battle I am ok with it

There are probably no 6 vs 6 battles for this league. Literally no one has 6 confirmed Pokémon, and Ash has no plans to use reserves.
You're destroying my last hopes of having an acceptable-good league , only the drops of rivarly ,guzma and kukui's past, and the fact that almost all 16 competitors are known (I'm predicting a longer league) are left
Also I'm sad because the one who did ash vs hapu and ash vs jessie when pikachu used electroweb, is still not fired and he will write the 151 battle royal thing

I'd be kind of surprised if Ash doesn't battle the Masked Royal given the rivalry between his Torracat and Incineroar, but Guzma battling Professor Kukui would be pretty fitting too. I still wish that they introduced Guzma a lot sooner, but especially if the Alola League does come down to Guzma vs. Professor Kukui. There wouldn't be really enough time to buildup their rivalry when Guzma has only appeared once thus far.

To be fair, this certainly isn't the first time the anime has taken its sweet time introducing important video game characters, so this isn't an exclusive problem for SM. It just seems like they could have introduced both Hau and Guzma much earlier in the series if they are going to be Ash's opponents in the Alola League. Even Illima was featured in more episodes before the Alola League.

I'd be kind of surprised if Ash doesn't battle the Masked Royal given the rivalry between his Torracat and Incineroar, but Guzma battling Professor Kukui would be pretty fitting too. I still wish that they introduced Guzma a lot sooner, but especially if the Alola League does come down to Guzma vs. Professor Kukui. There wouldn't be really enough time to buildup their rivalry when Guzma has only appeared once thus far.

I didn’t mean to say Guzma would win in the finals. I actually think Ash has a chance. I simply thought Guzma would end up in the finals since it’s the closest he can get to battling the Masked Royal before losing the chance by a defeat at the finals- the chance to battle Kukui snatched away from him at the last second.

And in the (personally unlikely to me) scenario Ash loses, Guzma would be the second most fitting person to battle Kukui.

But where's Kiawe? I was told by his fans that he was Ash's equal and would be one of Ash's League opponents. What happened?

You know, I think its safe to say that if Ash loses, this is the first regional league in a while where there won't be significant backlash for it. People will probably still be disappointed if Ash loses, but this time it doesn't look like they're presenting a situation that is just ridiculous.

He's not facing an opponent who came out of nowhere with Legendary Pokemon. He's not facing a complete moron who only had 5 Pokemon and just got lucky, and he's not facing a complete Gary Stu who needed to be knocked down a few pegs(Especially when it looked like they were setting up for Ash beating him)

Unless he loses because of something stupid, the backlash might be little to none for once. I'll be celebrating if Guzma wins honestly.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom