• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Ash's four Alola League opponents revealed

Was lowkey expecting them to asspull Magearna for Lillie's battle against Gladion, since Magearna was kinda hinted at as part of Lillie's team in that League contestants scan some time ago.

Wobbuffet battling is awesome. Although he can't exactly do anything other than repelling moves. He used Bide once but Wobbuffet can't even legally learn that move. Destiny Bond could come into play but that would be too easy a resolve (although I can see Wobbuffet learning it during the battle).

I wonder if Acerola's Gengar is the Greedy Rapooh from SM073. That wouldn't be too much of a stretch, she could also just partner with it for the League (since Mallow is allowed to use Shaymin)

Well Lillie had a good run while it lasted.

Related image

Also Hau versus Samson is looking like such a meme battle.

I figured the same opponents as well. The only questions that remain now are whether he'll face Gladion or Guzma in the finals and whether he'll win. With Gladion, it's very likely, seeing how he lost their previous battle and everything, and with Guzma it's all but guaranteed. I personally think Ash will win so he can face the Masked Royal.

I think that Ash will lose to Gladion in the Top 4 and Gladion will win the league, defeating Guzma. I think that if Ash wins, then he would have to be replaced with a new protagonist.

I think that if Ash wins, then he would have to be replaced with a new protagonist.
The Alola league is informal enough that they’ll let Ash leave for Galar, specially if he loses to the masked royal.

I predict that Ash will battle Gladion in the semis and (unfortunately) win. He’ll go on to battle Guzma in the finals, win and battle the Masked Royal and lose. This will provide the ‘obligatory league loss’ for him to go to Galar.

The Alola league is informal enough that they’ll let Ash leave for Galar, specially if he loses to the masked royal.

I predict that Ash will battle Gladion in the semis and (unfortunately) win. He’ll go on to battle Guzma in the finals, win and battle the Masked Royal and lose. This will provide the ‘obligatory league loss’ for him to go to Galar.
He would end up becoming the champion, meaning that he would have to stay in Alola until Kukui decides to host the league again.

He would end up becoming the champion, meaning that he would have to stay in Alola until Kukui decides to host the league again.
Not necessarily. If Ash loses to the Masked Royal and wants to train further, the people of Alola won’t stop him. This league is informal enough as it is.
Kukui could be the acting champion since he’d win against Ash in this scenario.

Why would he have to stay in Alola if winners of two previous League tournaments came back to their normal life afterwards? Anime League Champion title isn't something you have to defend, as far as I know.

Why would he have to stay in Alola if winners of two previous League tournaments came back to their normal life afterwards? Anime League Champion title isn't something you have to defend, as far as I know.
We don't know that because we've never seen it.

Winning a League didn't prevent other trainers from going off on their own journey in the anime before. Why would that be an issue now? It's especially strange when the Alola League is pretty different from other Pokemon Leagues, so holding it to the same standards is a bit strange. Plus, Ash winning a League were virtually anyone can enter because there are no requirements doesn't really sound all that impressive. Admittedly, I don't think that Ash has a strong chance of winning regardless, but even if he does, they aren't going to replace him and it wouldn't be difficult to get him to go to the Galar region afterwards. Ash could have become a Frontier Brain after beating the Battle Frontier, which I still think is a much bigger deal than winning a regular Pokemon League, but he chose to continue traveling to different places instead. They could easily do something like that again if Ash somehow does win the Alola League.

Only reasonable conclusion I can see is Satoshi's defeating all three of them (Gladio, Guzma and Royal Mask, in this order). Other options would be nothing but disappointing in plot-wise. If we're not following that, the most logical conclusion, I want one of the girls to win it all.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom