• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's future in anime/manga/movies ( on-screen)

Area54

Reaction score
Now that Ash has left anime as protagonist, do you think when/how will Ash return in anime/movies/manga? Will it be a reference, a cameo? Will it be several episodes?

Personally, I do hope we see Ash , Pikachu and TRio appear from time to time in anime/movies.
I hope they make side stories of Ash and Pikachu's adventure that air like 2 episodes per year so we can see what's up with them. I hope main!Ash or AU!Äsh( it depends what new series will be based on) appear like at least 2 times per year meeting new heroes and helping them with something. And I hope we see annual movies with Ash.

I kind of like the idea of having new specials with Ash and his friends every year or so. I know that some people here weren't happy with Ash, Misty and Brock seemingly doing nothing for a good chuck of the mini series, but I've seen other fans being happy about just seeing the characters have fun together. I feel like they could easily justify making a series of specials every year alongside the main series, but whether or not they'd want to do that is another story. I could see Ash appearing in the next series at some point. They'd probably want to keep the focus on the new characters and setup the new status quo for at least the first year, but I think that giving Ash a couple of episodes to interact with Liko and Roy after they're more well established could be nice.

Ash being the main lead for the movies would also be pretty nice. I don't know if they'd go with the main series Ash or AU Ash, but either way, I think using the movies to show some of Ash's adventures would be nice. It could help to make the movies feel like bigger events and potentially draw in more people, especially people who want to see Ash again.

I find it very likely he'll be back relatively soon; either appearances in the new show, a movie, or even special like the Mega Evolution ones.

Looking ahead I also think there's a decent chance of a revival or reboot rather farther down the line--interestingly enough one that could well be written by people who grew up on the show, now that it's twenty five years old (in fact I think a few of the JN voice actors have said they watched it as kids?)!

Said it in another thread but I do expect every series to have at least one obligatory 'Ash Cameo' episode. Not sure if Team Rocket would appear in all of them though.
Nothing too long term that might 'take away' focus from the new protag(s).

Depends on what it is. To be honest I only watched MPM because it was the end and I always watch the episodes when old companions return (in this case Misty and Brock). The content itself aside from the fishing episode was boring.

I would like to see something that focuses on the old companions who aren't Misty and Brock. I think the one who needs another cameo the most is Serena. She only has one episode and no meaningful interactions with Ash despite the romantic subplot they pushed almost agressivly in XY. If they are brave enough to do a timeskip they could show that promised battle between Max and Ash. Another idea is that Ash challenges opponents he hasn't beaten yet like Tobias.

Or they could show Ash traveling somewhere he hasn't been before like the Sevii Islands or Hisui. Maybe he could meet game characters he hadn't met before like Leaf and travel with them for a few episodes. I think this would show that Ash still goes on adventures and meets new companions even off-screen. Also a great opportunity to give beloved game characters a chance to shine (I would like to see Silver, Wally, Zinnia, Emma, Green, Hilda, Volo, Cogita etc.). Or maybe something completely wild like an episode based on Pokémon Masters or Mystery Dungeon lol.

I would like to see something that focuses on the old companions who aren't Misty and Brock. I think the one who needs another cameo the most is Serena. She only has one episode and no meaningful interactions with Ash despite the romantic subplot they pushed almost agressivly in XY. If they are brave enough to do a timeskip they could show that promised battle between Max and Ash. Another idea is that Ash challenges opponents he hasn't beaten yet like Tobias.
Honestly, I think that fans were pushing the romantic subplot more aggressively than the writers were in XY. Not that they didn't have ship teasing moments in the series, but it was much more of a gimmick to make Serena stand out more so than a subplot. I just felt like fans made a bigger deal out of the crush than XY normally did. I can understand wanting more interactions between Ash and Serena, but I'm kind of glad that they didn't go that route. Even now, fans see Serena as just a trophy girlfriend for Ash. I kind of like that they wanted her one episode to actually be about Serena, to show how she has developed more self-confidence and is now able encourage someone else like Chloe. After months of people claiming that they couldn't bring Serena back because of the kiss, it was nice to see them not make a big deal about the pairing and just focus on Serena's actual character.

Ash getting to battle trainers like Tobias just feels kind of unnecessary at this point. I understand wanting that. I remember liking the idea of Ash vs. Alain for the Master Class, but aside from appealing to the long time fans who are still upset over how Ash lost some Leagues years ago, I don't know what would be the appeal of those battles.

Or they could show Ash traveling somewhere he hasn't been before like the Sevii Islands or Hisui. Maybe he could meet game characters he hadn't met before like Leaf and travel with them for a few episodes. I think this would show that Ash still goes on adventures and meets new companions even off-screen. Also a great opportunity to give beloved game characters a chance to shine (I would like to see Silver, Wally, Zinnia, Emma, Green, Hilda, Volo, Cogita etc.). Or maybe something completely wild like an episode based on Pokémon Masters or Mystery Dungeon lol.
The Sevii Islands would be interesting, but I'm not sure how they'd manage the Hisui region without some time travel involved. It would be cool, but that would ideally need to be a mini-series if they went that route. Getting to meet some video game characters that haven't appeared in the anime would be pretty cool too. Considering that Ash is in Pokemon Masters, it would be interesting if they could figure out something with that continuity.

Eh. I personally hope Ash is just done with and we don't see him again. I really can't see any reason for him to appear anymore, but if he just MUST show up, I hope it'll be in movies or non-canon side projects completely separate from Horizons.

Said it in another thread but I do expect every series to have at least one obligatory 'Ash Cameo' episode. Not sure if Team Rocket would appear in all of them though.
Nothing too long term that might 'take away' focus from the new protag(s).

I have a feeling Ash makes more cameo's than one... but not actually in a speaking role, but rather in the background as some sort of tease at the end of the episode, when just arrives in the area our protagonists are leaving.

Ash getting to battle trainers like Tobias just feels kind of unnecessary at this point. I understand wanting that. I remember liking the idea of Ash vs. Alain for the Master Class, but aside from appealing to the long time fans who are still upset over how Ash lost some Leagues years ago, I don't know what would be the appeal of those battles.
Tobias could be interesting in that a battle with a trainer who has all-legendary Pokémon (not confirmed but plausible) could be one way to have a battle with someone they could make stronger Leon who had already been shown.

It's hard tell right now. We need to see how relevant will be the new anime to the previous series, whether it takes place in same continuity, same timeframe, or future.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom