• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Pokemon Captures Speculation

Pikipek because it's the regional bird.
Crabrawler because he's had a good track record with crustaceans.

After that, I honestly don't know... I'm not gonna try and guess what starter/s Ash will get here, it could still go anywhere.

I'll try and guess Ash's captures...

* Litten
I think Ash's capture will be Litten because that interaction of Ash stepping over a Litten's tail could gradually result into Litten's capture.

* Popplio/Rowlet
Yes, this time Ash should capture a second starter. It'll fit in Ash's starter pattern, XY series corresponds to to AG, so Greninja=Sceptile, so SM could be like DP and Litten+Popplio=Chimchar+Turtwig. But PLEASE handle him/her better than Torterra.

They could plan a lot on its backstory, revolving around self-esteem issues and such...

This slot could shift between Popplio or Rowlet, though I lean more on Popplio.

* Rockruff
Rockruff and Lycanroc (Midday and Midnight)'s lores absolutely fit Ash, revolving around Loyality, A trainer bringing out the true power..., training, all fitting Ash.

* Minior
Minior would be an interesting and unexpected choice for Ash. I'd want this to be our next Snorunt/Galie...

My guesses are as followed:

Pikipek: Because when has Ash NOT caught the common regional Flying-type? The only one I can think of that he didn't catch was Spearow (though he did try... and failed twice). So Pikipek is a guaranteed shoo-in.

Litten: Like what PkmnTrainerV said, while he'll probably not catch Litten right away, there may be some building up to it, as Litten may eventually be won over by him. Hopefully its gets handled better than Pignite did.
And if the starter final evo leaks hold some credibility to them, Litten will reach its final stage, as it was seen with him, Pikachu, and Mallow in a small sketch alongside the starter leaks.

Rockruff: Again, like PkmnTrainerV said, Rockruff and Lycanroc fit Ash's style and nature like a glove. I could see Ash getting either form of Lycanroc and adjust to them without much trouble.

Jangmo-o: Given the recent influx of Dragon-types on Ash's teams, and the fact that Jangmo-o is very diligent about training, I can see Ash obtaining a Jangmo-o. Both have a passion for training, and both fight will fair and square, so I can see Jangmo-o being won over by Ash's never-give-up and honest nature.

Passimian: Given Ash's team player nature, I can see Passimian ending up on his team. Plus Ash has good form when throwing Poke Balls, so that would impress a Passimian. Plus Ash has gotten very good at coordination and combination attacks, which Passimian would be pretty proficient in.

Rowlet seems pretty likely judging by the poster, but I could see him ending up with Litten too since it doesn't seem tied to anyone yet I think? (And there's that doodle on the starter evolution leaks, but I'm not sure if that was just a doodle or has some significance.)

I'm not sure on him getting Popplio since it seems to be Lana's Pokemon and we don't know how long they are going to be main characters for.

I'm not sure how bothered the Anime sections are about the starter leaks specifically, but I'll put this within a spoiler tag anyway. Rowlet's archer evolution also feels the most Greninja/Infernape/Sceptile of the three in design, so I can see them wanting to market that one most but I guess we'll see. But I guess Litten's evolution also has a similar feel in some ways and it's in the starter evolution leak with Ash and Mallow, so maybe it will be Litten's that goes the whole way.

Rockruff in some form seems likely with how much of a push it seems to be getting in the games and merchandise. And I'm kinda hoping for him to pick up an Alolan form too but I don't think any of the ones so far are likely so it might have to be another unrevealed one.

I'm in agreement on Pikipek, Rockruff, and Jangmo-o.

But now that Passimian was revealed, I'm as certain I was before about Crabrawler. They both sound like a perfect fit for Ash's personality. Crabrawler's constant will to be the very best like no one ever was, and Passimian valuing team spirit... I just can't decide!

I think Ash would catch Rowlet due to no grass type last region. Probably skip the regional bird this time. Turtonator for his fire type pokemon. Wimpod line for both Bug and Water type this region. Mudsdale as it looks like an Ash pokemon. Rockruff line perhaps to showcase Midday form?

I'll guess what I think is pretty likely and then some other possibilities.
Pikipek-He always get the generic early route bird and with Pikipek on the poster, I feel this one has a pretty big chance of happening.
Rowlet-It's behind him in the poster. Not much reason otherwise. I was hoping he wouldn't get it though:/

As for the other possibilities, I'd say Litten, Popplio, and Passimian all have a decent chance at happening. I do hope Ash doesn't get all three starters though. And I don't care much for Jangmo-o, Minior, or Mudbray, but they all look like Pokemon Ash could get.

The Pokemon that he might catch include:

Pikipek: Obvious choice as it's a tradition that he catches the regional early Flying Pokemon, no complains there

Starter Pokemon: if it becomes similar to DP, like how BW was to the original series and XY to AG, then he'll get Popplio and Litten for the ride here, if there's a dark lore for the Fire starters, why not take it for a spin and change the roles for a bit and have the other starter be the one with the bad treatment

Rockruff: There's been a huge focus on this little guy lately, so why not Ash catching Rockruff? Plus depending on what the writers decide, there's a 50/50 chance that it will evolve in it's Midday or Midnight form, that and as the lore implies, it might leave Ash for a while until it finishes evolving into Lycanroc, which form will he get? Who knows

Morelull: This is a weird choice here, it would be Ash's first non-starter Grass Pokemon since Leavanny and it would be Ash's first Fairy Pokemon

Crabrawler: As everyone mentioned, it's never give up spirit matches Ash's fighting spirit and would make perfect comrades for the journey

Wild Cards
There's always the chance that Ash might catch more than 5 Pokemon of the region, he did it in Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh and Unova, so why not here as well, I'm not saying Ash will catch them all, but it's just my opinion

Jangmo-o: Ash and Jangmo-o are pretty similar as they are training to be the very best like no one ever was, no pun intended, and if Jangmo-o is indeed the pseudo of this generation, it will be a massive powerhouse for Ash to have

Wishiwashi: In case Ash doesn't get Popplio, Wishiwashi is another choice as it's a Pokemon that can call an entire school to help it get stronger, even though Ash is a speed fighter, who knows what can he do with Wishiwashi

Fomantis: Kinda of a weird choice here, Fomantis is a nocturnal Pokemon and Ash might encounter it, something happens, it protects Fomantis and wants to follow Ash, then once it evolves it will be very picky if Ash doesn't care for it, weird I know

1. Rowlet. This one is obvious, it is behind Ash in the poster for the new series so a capture is very likely. Furthermore, looking at the leaked concept art of the starters' final evolutions, Rowlet's final evolution definitely looks like the next Greninja/Sceptile/Infernape.

2. Pikipek. It is the regional bird so I expect Ash to catch. And XY showed us they won't shy away from giving Ash multiple flying types, so another bird/flying type wouldn't shock me.

3. Crabrawler. Simply because I can imagine it as Ash's Pokemon, its fun personality is definitely suited to main character's Pokemon.

That's all I really have so far.

Rowlett-
Seems to fit him on a lot of levels. Grass type starter, bird, quirky personality.

Pikipek-
Ash always seems to get the regional bird.

Salandit-
I see it being the Sandile of this series.

Crabrawler-
Also fits him on a lot of levels. Fighting type, crab, "aims for the top" mentality.

Still not sure on the final spot. I would lean towards a water type, but none of the ones revealed so far really seem to fit.

I can't make any predictions, not even for the remaining tropes. I don't think trying to make a team for battling is going to work for this, and all other instances were for battling. It is my conclusion that no trope is being used here, anything goes.

I know some Pokémon on this list might not happen, but for some reason I see Alolan Oak asking Ash if he can have his veteran Pokémon help around the school a bit. It'd help give an incentive to the writers to not regress Ash to a noob level regarding basic Pokémon facts, and it could provide some great gags as well.

Here's the Pokémon I see helping out Alolan Oak at the school:
  • Tauros: The PikéRide feature includes Tauros, and there's a scan showing the Trial Captains about to run over Ash while riding some Tauros. Whose to say Ash's 30 Tauros won't be put to good use there?
  • Greninja: It could help Pokémon with Phys. Ed, and it seems to be dominating popularity charts.
  • Charizard: Same reason as Tauros in regards to being part of the PokéRide feature.
Here's the Pokémon I actually see Ash himself using in his party most of the time:
  • Pikachu - It's always with Ash.
  • Rowlett - This starter seems to be a popular choice for Ash so far. Plus, Ash's Noctowl can gain an owl buddy!
  • Sandlit - It's description make me think that it'll be like Chikorita, and the fact that it can manipulate males of any species with its pheromones could make for some great gags in regards to making Ash due some hilarious stuff.
  • Pyukumuku - It could help out against Team Rocket by punching them whenever it faints. Also, should the above list of vetrans being lent to Alolan Oak actually happen, I could see it resting on Greninja's head instead of doing what it's supposed to do as part of a running gag. Either that, or it chooses Ash's hat. Either way, I can see Pyukumuku's tendency to remain in one spot be not only an interesting gag, but also test Ash's patience with something so stubborn.
Otherwise, I have no clue.

Last edited:
Rowlet seems like the most likely out of the starters for Ash to capture. It is the closest to Ash on the poster and it was suspiciously absent from the teaser trailer, unlike Litten and Popplio. I can't really see Ash capturing Litten or Popplio and I'd prefer it if he didn't get more than one starter. Two could be manageable, but even then, one starter per trainer seems more ideal.

I'd love for Ash to capture a Rockruff. It would be so cute and Ash eventually getting a Lycanro Midday form would make me so happy. I think it would fit with him nicely and he could use more Rock types. Given how much attention Rockruff already has, I could see Ash capturing one.

Pikipek would be pretty typical given Ash always captures the early route Flying type. Although, considering how many Flying types he ended up having in XY and how likely it is for him to get a Rowlet, I'd be okay if they broke that tradition down instead. I'd rather not see Ash have such an unbalanced team again. I wouldn't mind it if Rowlet took the place of his Grass and Flying type member, much like how Talonflame covered both Fire and Flying types for his XY team.

Crabrawler definitely feels like a Pokemon Ash would catch. Maybe it's because of how it has its own determination to win and fight, but I could see Ash wanting to catch one.

Ash capturing a Salandit would be awesome, but I don't know if I could see it with Ash. Maybe someone in the main cast could capture it at least, but I don't know about Ash. I do fully expect Ash to capture an Alola form Pokemon. I don't think any of the currently revealed ones would fit him, aside from maybe the Alola Sandshrew, but I'm pretty confident that he will capture one of them and that would be pretty neat.

So most of us is on an agreement that Ash might catch Pikipek, Crabrawler, Rockruff and Rowlet/Popplio, right?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom