• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Pokemon XY Team/Predictions and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what's been revealed so far, I can see him with Froakie and Fletchling. I don't want him to get Fennekin and I can't really see him with Chespin; hopefully he'll go the one starter route again. Instead if Fennekin, he could get Litleo. I can't see him with Gogoat so he might get a different grass-type. That's all I can think of for now.

Well, given the patterns that already exist, this is my theory:

Pikachu (mega duh)
Fletchling
Chespin
Fennekin (since it's temperamental but hard-working, it could test his character)
Water-type (maybe Clauncher, since he did catch Corphish and Krabby, being a bit more consistant than Water starters)
Wild card (Hopefully a Noivern, which could be like a ace-in-the-hole, like Gible and Gliscor were to a degree, would also test his character having a somewhat berserker Pokemon)
Maybe one more (Like DP, maybe a Fairy-type)

Also, since BW broke the mold a fair amount, like catching Snivy/Leavanny and Oshawott/Palpitoad, I could see Ash with two or more of the same types. Also, seeing past patterns, I really doubt Ash won't catch both the Grass and Fire starters. The only time this didn't happen was AG, since May already had the Torchic of the group, so that pretty much eliminated that. While a Fennekin with the female companion would be okay, I really don't see how Ash can't have it. The Water starter is up in the air, though it might be a bit boring if he caught all three.

As for how many, I hope he has no more than seven total, kinda like DP, where he had Pikachu, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Buizel, Gliscor, and Gible (with the final two being interchangeable). I would like to see Ash catch another Dragon-type, since Iris stole that glory with Dragonite. And, as I said before, if it was a Noivern, it could test his character on how to control a borderline berserker, kinda how Charizard use to be (not exactly, obviously, but you get it).

Again, this is just my theory and what I've observed. Reading into the patterns won't always mean it's a guarantee, but they have been fairly consistent throughout the series. While the Starter Trio idea is getting dull, I don't think it's out of the question. And, again BW did break the mold a bit more than normal, so really it's hard to tell. But from what I've observed (and my own personal desires), what I listed above is my prediction. It's far from perfect, and I highly doubt they'll follow any real set pattern, but over the years, this seems to be the case. But for now, this is what I think.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. Actually EVOLVING his Pokemon would be nice. His Sinnoh team were awesome, while his Unova team was a joke. Why didn't the writers factor that in during BW when they did so in AG and DP?

Oh, also, @Palpitoad the White; Infernape and Pignite says hi.

Last edited:
I just hope he doesn't catch as many as he did in BW or, at the very least, not all so early again. BW proved that too many captures gives less time for screen time and development for all Pokes who are not regional starters. Not doing so will also make his XY team more memorable.

Well I think one thing is almost certain since its happened in every single series, this being Ash ending up with the Grass type starter. I personally want him to have a Chespin, one that won't become the next Oshawott and be used for comic relief purposes and just acting adorable to sell merchandise.

I really want Satoshi to catch Chespin, but not the other starters. Ok, maybe Froakie as well, but NOT Fennekin. It is not that I don't like the Fire-type starter, I am just afraid of it getting more focus than the others again. Charizard, Infernape and Pignite are more than enough. That said, he had two starters in Sinnoh and both evolved to their last forms and are relatively strong (In fact, I think Infernape might be Satoshi's strongest Pokémon) and I wouldn't mind the same scenario again, but with Chespin and Froakie (unlikely to happen, since Fennekin is easily the most popular starter... the again, so was Snivy).

I'd really dig another Sceptile in Satoshi's team. Torterra was nice and all, but not really a powerhouse like the gecko nor it had interesting traits like Sceptile. I also would certainly like a fully evolved Water-type starter in his team, but hah, that is never going to happen :c

In regards of non-starter Pokémon, Satoshi will most likely catch Fletching. Perhaps that means he isn't getting a Fire-type starter this time. That is it for now.

Ash shouldn't get over six Pokemon this time in Best Wishes that was a disaster. His team would have been a lot better had he not got over six Pokemon in Unova his team should have looked like this

Pikachu
Unfezant
Leavanny
Pansear
Samurott
Krookodile

If they continue the pattern, Talonflame is pretty much confirmed. Fire and Flying are taken care of.

I really want Ash to get Chespin, but I won't be upset if he gets Froakie instead. He should only get one starter, in order to add a bit more variety and an open slot for Grass or Water.

The only Pokemon that I can see him obtaining besides Fletchling and a starter is Pancham.

I hope they spread the starters out among the 3 main characters, and I hope Ash gets Chespin. I like all of the starter pokemon but I can see Ash getting either a Chespin or a Froakie over Fenniken. I would really like Ash to catch another Dragon type... Hopefully there will be(fingers crossed) 4 Non-legendary Dragon families to choose from this generation.
Maybe he can evolve it this time...

Have you guys seen what Bulbapedia says about Chespin’s behavior? Check it out:

“Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details.”

Chespin is basically Ash! :lol:

Personally, I hope he only catches one of the starters. That way, he can have a more balanced team.

I really hope that he'll only have five or six captures in this series. Catching so many Pokemon in BW really backfired in terms of both their development and how strong most of them turned out to be. Plus, I liked how he had a small team in AG and DP. It allowed for the Pokemon to stand out more with more screentime and development. There's probably a good chance that he won't capture more than six. One of the reasons they probably did that in BW was because they didn't want Ash to use any non-Unova Pokemon in the Unova League besides Pikachu, but since we have seen older Pokemon in the pre-release images and trailers for X/Y, that shouldn't be an issue.

If the female trainer gets Fennekin, I could see Ash getting a Litleo. I'd prefer it if Talonflame took the Fire and Flying type role on his team, but they'd probably want to give him a pure Fire type too. A Pancham could fit for Ash too.

I can see Ash catch Fennekin or Litleo even if he does catch a Fletchling. I look at the Charizard/Pignite duo not only as fan service for older fans, but also a test run to see how they could balance having multiple Pokemon of a primary type (Fire) on his team at the same time (a little different than when he had multiple ground types in Sinnoh).

Heck given the number of older Pokemon we've seen in gameplay footage for X&Y already and Ash's slightly "older" look maybe we'll see Ash draw upon his Oak'd reserves a bit more frequently throughout his journey rather than just at the league. A Johto done correctly.

Pikachu
Scraggy or Oshawott - I have the feeling that one of this will be following Ash.
Chespin - He always has the regional gras starter.
Fletchling - As any other previous regional bird.
A Fairy Type.
And maybe Dunsparce, which would later evolve.

(With only 19 Gen.6 Pokemon it's a bit earlier to predict about his team)

I feel Ash will get Chespin, but I fear that it will become the next Oshawott given it has a similar face and body shape to it, but I prefer it becomes the next Treecko instead and evolves all the way to it's final stage (or at least to the first stage at best).

I also predict he will catch a Fletchling, since he apparently needs every regions native bird for some reason or another.

Heck given the number of older Pokemon we've seen in gameplay footage for X&Y already and Ash's slightly "older" look maybe we'll see Ash draw upon his Oak'd reserves a bit more frequently throughout his journey rather than just at the league. A Johto done correctly.

That's something I would love to see is Ash cycle between his older and newer Pokemon, if there was one thing I liked about Best Wishes, it was the rotating team, my only problem is that some of his Unova Pokemon did not receive enough development, while others *cough*Oshawott*cough* had far too much screen-time.

Last edited:
I hope Ash gets Froakie and evolves it not only because I think Froakie is cool and because I want a water starter to finally evolve, I just don't want him to get Chespin who already looks like Oshawott. :I I'm also excited about him getting the regional bird this time around, Talonflame is a beast and it should be a great addition to Ash's team if given enough screentime.

If we pretend that all the Kalos Pokémon that have been revealed is all that Ash can choose from, then:

Pikachu
Chespin (starter and grass type)
Fletchling/Talonflame (gotta have a fire type and a flying type)
Clauncher (water type and also fits with Kingler and Corphish)
Scatterbug/Spewpa/Vivillon (we need a Butterfree or Leavanny that stays with Ash and gets decent screen time!)
Pancham (Scraggy 2.0 perhaps? :p)

I'd like him to go easy on reserves this time. AG and DP did a much better job with the development when there was only 5 or 6 to deal with.

I see Ash getting a Chespin Fletchling Froakie and maybe a helioptile/ gogoar or pancham

Hard to say when you only have 20 Pokemon shown out of 100+ possibilities at the moment.

Ash- Chespin and/or Froakie, Litleo or Fletchling (likely the latter as he always catches the trash bird), Clauncher, Pancham
Girl- Fennekin, Flabebe, Helioptile, Scatterbug

The only pokemon I want to make sure that is in Ash's party is Fennekin. And if the writers aren't going to treat bird pokemon correctly on this show besides for scouting purposes, then no birds.

I do not think Ash will catch Litleo, sorry guys. Litleo might get the Shinx treatment in DP. One Shinx was with Landis and one with Angie. I do like to see Ash with 2 fire Pokemon, and split the showtime between the 2.

After seeing Goronda, I seriously hope if Ash catches a Pancham, the writers won't find it marketable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom