• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's six best non-starter pokemon

hhhhdmt

Reaction score
Which pokemon do you consider to be Ash's six best non-starter pokemon? Obviously this disqualifies Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, Infernape, Greninja etc.

Mine:

Heracross
Snorlax
Swellow
Gliscor
Krookodile
Buizel

Six place is hard. I see a numberr of contenders there including Glaile, Donphan, Buizel, Staraptor, Talonflame, Hawlucha but ultimately i decided to go for a water type.

Heracross (agree)
Snorlax (agree)
Krookodile (agree)
Kingler
Gliscor
Noctowl

Oop .. also liked Lapras, Hawlucha, Swellow, Pidgeot (if he ever got it back I'm sure it would have been awesome).

Last edited:
Goodra, while being a strong pseudo legandary, was underwhelming in the league. The writers gave Ash a fully evolved pseudo legendary for the first time and wasted the opportunity to do something great.

Ash commanding Goodra to use bide over and over again is some of the weakest strategy i have ever seen from him. Goodra had a lot of potential but was used badly. Ash was generally amazing in XY BUT simply did not know what to do with Goodra.

I can still see a case being made for Goodra (it is a pseudo legendary after all) but i did include it for those reasons.

Snorlax
Donphan
Noctowl
Swelow
Gliscor
Krokoodile
Leavanny?

They would die to an ice attack.

I wanted to include some Not fully evolved Pokemon, but apparently the only ones Ash has are the Unova ones plus Buizel and Gible, lol.

For me it has to be Snorlax, Heracross, Krokodile, Swellow (near immune to electricity cmon), Noctowl, (Talonflame, Muk or Hawlucha). If his Gible evolved though!!!

That's a hard choice! I wouldn't claim these six as the best, but I did really enjoy their respective screen times and animation:

~Goodra
~Leavanny
~Aipom
~Hawlucha (has his own badass theme!)
~Noctowl (first Shiny to be owned by a main character!)
~Gliscor

It was largely because of their screen time that I would use them in the games (except Goodra-I was automatically won over with the Goodra line).

Heracross
Hawlucha
Swellow
Talonflame
Gliscor
Glalie

My feelings are this: Heracross pretty much mowed down almost everyone in front of him, even when at a disadvantage, showing just how powerful he was. Hawlucha was called "the forest champion" before Ash caught him, and had a pretty impressive win record. Plus he had some sweet theme music. And he became the second Pokemon Ash owned to take down a Mega Mon (Astrid's Absol, to be exact, getting a bit of revenge from his movie defeat). Swellow was clearly one of Ash's best birds, as he just took hit after hit after hit and was still raring to go. His debut forced Ash to catch him just to stop the battle and prevent long-lasting injury. Talonflame proved his skill quite often, taking part in 7 gym battles and evolving while fighting another Talonflame and Moltres. He also got a win in a gym battle before evolving even once, which is something none of Ash's other birds (bar Noctowl, who was fully evolved, and Pidgeotto, who was a mid-stage Mon) ever did. While it took Gliscor and Glalie a little while to reach their current status, it was well worth it. After all, Gliscor took down Paul's Drapion, who had previously taken down Torterra, Staraptor, AND Buizel, which was no small feat, and even battled Ninjask and Electrivire for a short time, effectively facing half of Paul's team. While Glalie took down several strong foes such as Metang and Charizard, both of which have type advantage, and managed to tie with Tyson's Sceptile, so Glalie earned its status as an ace-in-the-hole.

Heracross
Hawlucha
Swellow
Talonflame
Gliscor
Glalie

My feelings are this: Heracross pretty much mowed down almost everyone in front of him, even when at a disadvantage, showing just how powerful he was. Hawlucha was called "the forest champion" before Ash caught him, and had a pretty impressive win record. Plus he had some sweet theme music. And he became the second Pokemon Ash owned to take down a Mega Mon (Astrid's Absol, to be exact, getting a bit of revenge from his movie defeat). Swellow was clearly one of Ash's best birds, as he just took hit after hit after hit and was still raring to go. His debut forced Ash to catch him just to stop the battle and prevent long-lasting injury. Talonflame proved his skill quite often, taking part in 7 gym battles and evolving while fighting another Talonflame and Moltres. He also got a win in a gym battle before evolving even once, which is something none of Ash's other birds (bar Noctowl, who was fully evolved, and Pidgeotto, who was a mid-stage Mon) ever did. While it took Gliscor and Glalie a little while to reach their current status, it was well worth it. After all, Gliscor took down Paul's Drapion, who had previously taken down Torterra, Staraptor, AND Buizel, which was no small feat, and even battled Ninjask and Electrivire for a short time, effectively facing half of Paul's team. While Glalie took down several strong foes such as Metang and Charizard, both of which have type advantage, and managed to tie with Tyson's Sceptile, so Glalie earned its status as an ace-in-the-hole.
This is a really great post. Well done and with great explanations. My picks are a little different but you made some great points regarding this.

My personal favourites...

Kabigon
Heracros (come on, it took a Fire Blast to the face then knocked out Boober with a single Megahorn... if that's not OP I don't know what is)
Onigohri
Glion
Waruvial
Numelgon

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom